Unemployed Florida

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unemployed Florida
Unemployed Florida
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General EUC Discussion - Ongoing

+86
nanny
CRFL1015
exotiq
deetann
LOTTIE1
Dixieannjobless
Star
Beaches
atwoodt
lec1234
MerryL
bonza32
technovative
prissy88
Garys1n2
ArleneG
ThatGirl03
studioWI
gknowles
martin59
daytonaman
spd76un
hor2culture
pima54
speedy1383
Sheila
oakensoul
ofantastic
John in Orlando
1Crimson1
LindaLou
nachomama
Chris U.
fred
Jeff
dplboc
missflorida
pyrox
angry
jim stratton
BillTamBay
buccobruce
madisonsnannie
motley
surfer
Marc
lafosl
KellyB
hating politics
Unemployed Mamma
Teresa
brb2007
Michael55
Dino69
cantfindajob
robin28
Cam in FL
hsd
Robyn
scrappy367
SaraJ
JJ in Florida
Robbi314
pebbles
waybol
sharonB
LJ
michelle
GonzoFL
sc4ram
grandmom49
bittybear
Hoppy
riceckr
Judy
Tampa Bay - Anna
sherbetarchitect
MiamiVice
Me From Jax
frustratedinfl
InsuranceMan
nancym
jamfaf
tj21121008
connorsgp
Unemployed In Orlando
90 posters

Page 34 of 37 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next

Go down

General EUC Discussion - Ongoing - Page 34 Empty Re: General EUC Discussion - Ongoing

Post  michelle Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:42 pm

sc4ram wrote:This brief explaination was in my print copy of the Orlando Sentinel this morning. Whats not at the link but was in print today was the disclaimer "The benefits would be automatic, AFTER FLORIDA REPROGRAMS ITS COMPUTERS."
Dont forget this customary delay courtesy of AWI.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/breakingnews/fl-unemployment-benefits-box-20100720,0,3132002.story

Is this a new extension or is it an extension that applies to the previous tiers that already exist just with new dates to receive benefits by?
I guess what I am trying to find out is this... I have exhausted all benefits and what I want to know is... Am I eligible for this extension?
michelle
michelle

Back to top Go down

General EUC Discussion - Ongoing - Page 34 Empty Re: General EUC Discussion - Ongoing

Post  sc4ram Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:21 pm

Its a ext that applies only to the Tiers that already exist.............

Good Luck
sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Post  michelle Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:49 am

sc4ram wrote:Its a ext that applies only to the Tiers that already exist.............

Good Luck

figures, thank you Sad
michelle
michelle

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:31 am

nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  sc4ram Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:17 am

Yes Nancy, the lady had sharp pencil when she wrote that one. Actually I posted it because the crux of the article was that Sen Schumer was rumored to be meeting his commitment to work on a Tier V once the extension passed.

The spin of the article was that only 1 repub was needed. (I think they forgot about Sen Nelson from Nebraska). I would hope that they have the smarts to pay for it with some of that walking around money they have sloshing around in Congress (instead of just using a bill as a political talking point while it goes nowhere) . If they "pay for it" the only arguement against it will be "is 119 weeks too much"? Sounds like a debate worth having.
sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:02 pm

sc4ram wrote:

Yes Nancy, the lady had sharp pencil when she wrote that one. Actually I posted it because the crux of the article was that Sen Schumer was rumored to be meeting his commitment to work on a Tier V once the extension passed.

The spin of the article was that only 1 repub was needed. (I think they forgot about Sen Nelson from Nebraska). I would hope that they have the smarts to pay for it with some of that walking around money they have sloshing around in Congress (instead of just using a bill as a political talking point while it goes nowhere) . If they "pay for it" the only arguement against it will be "is 119 weeks too much"? Sounds like a debate worth having.

In a good economy, one week of emergency compensation would be too much. But this economy began to turn south nearly four years ago....got worse until recently...and now hovers in a presently bad state of being. So two years of benefits is nowhere near enough if the goal is to help people along until the economy is healthy enough to accomodate them. If our government were serious, the first thing it would do is a moratorium on foreign work visas. Then institute everify so that no illegal aliens would take jobs from Americans, or so that the choices and options for unemployed Americans would be increased. They can also stop all aid to foreign countries. These seem like simple no-cost no-brainers to me.

Jeff

Back to top Go down

General EUC Discussion - Ongoing - Page 34 Empty How long for unemployment benefits? The question is gonna come back

Post  sc4ram Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:36 pm

sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

General EUC Discussion - Ongoing - Page 34 Empty Are 99ers being misled by Democrats?

Post  sc4ram Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:50 pm

July 28, 2:53 PMRochester Unemployment Examiner

The bottom line for 99ers – benefit exhaustees – is “where is the unemployment legislation that some Senate Democrats have said was coming”? From what I can gather after talking to aides to Senators Schumer and Stabenow is that legislation is being discussed, but nothing concrete is in the works.
Senator Schumer’s aide said that benefit exhautee legislation is one of his top priorities and that he would be either an unemployment legislation sponsor or co-sponsor.
Senator Stabenow’s aide said that conversations have been held about benefit exhaustee legislation but that was all she could share with me.
With the glut of pending legislation before Congress it doesn’t look as if unemployment legislation will make it to the floor before the House and Senate recesses. All I can determine from those conversations is that legislation is not going to be introduced before the House starts its recess on Friday, June 30.
That is certainly bad news for the upwards of four million current and future benefit exhaustees who will have nowhere to turn.

Both of these Senators have been in front of the camera stating that benefit exhaustee legislation is one of their top priorities. Senator Schumer recently said:
“There are a number of people who have maxed out, they've been looking and looking for work but haven't found it, and there is a separate act that would extend those benefits to them,. Extending this was really important. There are some people who go beyond the 99 weeks and we're gonna try to do that next,
Senator Stabenow has also indicated her support for 99er legislation:

Now, in the worst economy since the Great Depression, Republicans in Washington want to cut off unemployment benefits. They say that people are "lazy" and just don´t want to work. But the real-life experiences of people in our state tell a very different story.

This week, we finally passed a long-overdue extension of those unemployment benefits. Sadly, Senate Republicans held the bill up for almost three months – and in that time, benefits were cut for 2.5 million Americans. That's why I worked hard to make sure the bill was retroactive – people in Michigan who have lost their jobs shouldn't be punished because politicians in Washington don't understand what's happening in the real world.

I wish that the bill we passed helped those who have been looking for work the longest – the so-called "99ers." I'm working on a bill to help them because, when there are five people out of work for every one job opening, it's the right thing to do.
But is that support real, or is it acting as cover for other Democrats, so they can slip out of town without having done anything? It reminds me of the cartoon characters that try to shuffle off-stage before they are booed off-stage.

Many of you have commented that you have called the offices of Democrats and Republicans and you have received messages of support, but no commitment to do anything. Here are some of my questions?
Why was it so easy for Congress to abandon up to four million benefit exhaustees, but they can’t abandon an unwinnable Afghan War where they just assigned another $91 billion dollars?
Why was it easy for Congress to pass a $700 billion bank bailout (or $23 trillion bank backstop) that benefitted corrupt banks and allowed for record Wall Street bonuses, but they can’t find $20 billion to support four million long-term unemployed US citizens who lost their job due to Wall Street malfeasance?
Why was it easy for Congress to pass a trillion$ unfunded 2001 tax cut for the wealthy, but they can’t find $20 billion for the most vulnerable?
Why does Congress provide $20 billion (spread over the next 5 years) in tax subsidies to profit-heavy oil companies, but it can’t find $20 billion (spread over the next ten years) for the unemployed?

How can Congress allow $15 billion in farm subsidies to large corporations, but it can’t find that same $15 billion to help 4 million long-term unemployed.
How can Congress pass a nearly $800 billion stimulus package, but Democrats refuse to use any of those funds to help the long-term unemployed?
I could go on and on, but you get the picture.
The realities of the Senate are obvious; there isn’t enough support – 60 votes – to carry legislation forward at this point. Republicans aren’t likely to introduce any legislation that helps 99ers, but according to the following article, it may be something that they would consider strictly for political gain:
I wish the news was better, but at this juncture it’s highly unlikely that 99er legislation will see the light of day before the House recess. Stranger things have happened, but the unemployed don’t have highly paid lobbyists patrolling congressional hallways with hands full of campaign cash. The unemployed don’t have the ability to offer congressional representatives overseas junkets, or promises of jobs once they leave congress. Wall Street, oil companies, banks, and other corporate behemoths can easily sway Congress to do their bidding, but millions of unemployed are summarily ignored.
sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:05 pm

I gotta get me one of those T-shirts that says "99ers VOTE," but I can't really afford it. Maybe I'll just print up some bumper stickers.

That writer for Rochester unemployment at Examiner is one of the better ones, IMO. I never thought Congress would consider another bill before leaving for recess, in spite of how desperate so many are right now. People are camping out in their vans or even without a car or phone, waiting for either AWI to get in gear or the federal government to remember who paid their taxes for the last several decades.

The lack of proportion, which this writer emphasizes, is what gets me the most. Can't find the money---ah, ...what about...

The argument against taking money from some of these other budget commitments, something Jim Stratton brought up in his recent column, is, I beg to differ, not like "one man's pork is another man's economic development," or at least it's not a justification. It's kinda like that argument that smokers used to make (apologies to current or previous smokers on this board) about their "right" to have their compulsory cancer stick with that after-dinner coffee, while the person in the next booth was forced to leave the restaurant for the hospital with an emergency case of asthma.

Exhibit A: A government worker who won't get his 3% raise this year, so maybe can't go on that vacation after all, or
Exhibit B: A defense contract worker whose company won't get that contract, or will get it at reduced price, forcing everyone at the company to take a pay cut, or
Exhibit C: A guy who worked all his life, used up his savings, lost his home, his car, his phone service, can't pay child support which he wants to pay, and is living in a remote campsite outside Orlando, with no food and too far away by foot to get to a soup kitchen.

The first two are generic examples, the third is a real person here in Florida. Which of these is the priority?

I'm sorry, but I find that to be a very easy answer, not complicated at all when you think about it.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  sc4ram Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:28 pm

Nancy, unfortuantely in your first 2 examples I doubt it would be a zero sum gain (ie I dont think the govt worker would be denied their raise nor do i think the defense contractor would loose or get their contract reduced) although your third example is real enough. [I dont think the Fed union would allow a pay freeze and no Congressman in a district where a contract is to be awarded will want to cancel it]

My vision of Jim's comments is there is money already approproated and sitting there (unspent stimulus or paid back tarp money) that the current political class is planning on spending anyway (instead of putting the tarp back into the treasury as it was intended) . A new tier would technically be paid for if it came from one of those sources.

I was skeptical of any Senate action before the summer recess simply because it would be unpopular as the election approaches, and if you recall via some video that was posted a few months ago, Speaker Pelosi said that a new Tier wouldnt be addressed until Nvember (if you remember she and the crowd around her were laughing when the subject came up) . Nothing will be happening unless the Speaker is on board. Assuming she remembers this commitment, we'll have to wait and see what the results of the election are, if the Repubs take control of the House, they will have won it on a platform of fiscal responsibility, for most people outside of our club this does not include another extension or new tier. That would leave the infamous lame-duck session which is a unknown at this point, if the Dems loose power they will be so spooked they are likely to want to push a bunch of stuff thru before the new Congress comes in, if the past is any indicator, a new Tier wont be a priority for them. We'll have to see, on a political timeline, November is a eternity away.....
sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

General EUC Discussion - Ongoing - Page 34 Empty Off Topic Post

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:33 pm

I just posted in the Off Topic thread about some help that is needed for the Orlando Sentinel, please hop over and take a look if you have a chance, thanks!! Very Happy
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

https://unemployed-florida.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:34 am

sc4ram wrote:Nancy, unfortuantely in your first 2 examples I doubt it would be a zero sum gain (ie I dont think the govt worker would be denied their raise nor do i think the defense contractor would loose or get their contract reduced) although your third example is real enough. [I dont think the Fed union would allow a pay freeze and no Congressman in a district where a contract is to be awarded will want to cancel it]

Yes, I understand what you're saying. My point was not to point out a political reality, but the absurdity of that political reality. There's a moral reality and a political reality, two different things, unfortunately. I often speak in the political-speak on this board, but in this case it was a more basic language I was using.

What gets me outraged is the political side using the pseudo moral arguments that they do to justify ridiculous spending in corners where the need is least at the expense of areas where it is needed the most. The absent factors are awareness and political will, to say nothing of common sense for the long run for this country.

I agree the lame duck session is a political wild card. I also really feel there's a fight forming in this country for more than just unemployment benefits. It may be a bigger fight than the one over whether we were to go to war in Iraq, and that was a pretty big fight.

I personally may have nothing to gain from a Tier V if I get just a bit more work in the coming months; it might stretch out the funds a bit, or I might not be eligible. My drop-dead financial survival deadline has been put off by going to school til next May. But I still can't ignore the broader issues that have been dredged up because of this UI benefits fight, uncovering some of the really uglier sides of not only our government but our culture. I think it's time the whole country did some soul-searching, not only as individuals, but as a nation.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  Tampa Bay - Anna Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:48 am

Amen Nancy! I have been thinking the same thing. I've had many discussions with people about this issue (and others like healthcare, environmental, etc....). The general consensus has been that this country is becoming more divided. That while this Great Recession has been painful, it's been a necessary lesson for our country.
One lesson being that spending & instant gratification get us into trouble and we need to go back to our previous generations values: save & live more simply as it's better financially & environmentally. Another lesson is about moral choices. When you are in the worst situation possible, do you do the right thing or the easy thing? Often the right thing requires setting ego aside and working for the common good. Something many of our political leaders seem incapable of. When things are bad, you don't point fingers, you roll up your sleeves and get to the work of fixing the problem.
I agree with you 100% that this country needs to do some soul-searching. I believe the division in America will not be based on race, social class, gender, etc.... but it will be based on the Conscious & Unconscious. The latter being those who refuse to wake up to the current realities our our country and our world. That American way of life as we knew it has ended and we must do things in a new way in order to survive today and thrive tomorrow.
Tampa Bay - Anna
Tampa Bay - Anna

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:25 pm

Tampa Bay Anna--

Amen to you too! Probably my worst insult word I use for that Unconscious group is oblivious. You can either look outside yourself to see what is happening to others and the whole country, or go along in a little world not caring about anyone except yourself or maybe your immediate family. I regard many of these hedge fund managers as simply more modern versions of Louis XIV! Haven't we started evolving yet? No
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

General EUC Discussion - Ongoing - Page 34 Empty 99er, Tier 5 legislation countdown: 1 day. Sen. Schumer’s office: too tired to push for 99ers

Post  sc4ram Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:17 pm

BTW, I just saw Mr. Ed on TV lambaste leader Reid and the Congress for going on recess without addressing this .........

July 29, 3:01 PM Rochester Unemployment ExaminerMichael Thornton

As many of you are already aware, the House will be going on its summer recess starting tomorrow, July 30. Yesterday I mentioned the recess would begin June 30 for some reason, so I stand corrected.
Sen. Schumer’s staff: "...he's tired; it's hard to get the votes...”
That’s according to Kelly Wiedemer, Denver Unemployment Examiner, who was busy on the phones yesterday with 99er issues:
I called Schumer's office and talked to whoever it was that answered the phone. She was really very non-commital, at first just alluding to the fact that there probably wouldn't be anything happening before the recess. I pushed her by saying that I saw the interview given by the Senator and believed he WAS working on a bill to help the 99ers. I could almost hear some exasperation in her voice - not rude, really - but she said "...he's tired; it's hard to get the votes...".

Then I asked her if that meant nothing was going to happen before the Aug recess and she responded by saying that she couldn't say nothing would happen before they break. She just left it wide open. To be honest, it sounded like they really have been inundated on this issue and probably are tired, but I don't need to tell you what our perspective or response to that might be...
Not to lambaste Sen. Schumer, who has been one of the few Senators who has actually supported the concept of 99er relief, there are upwards of 4 million benefit exhaustees who are tired, too. They are tired of watching Congress use them as a political football for partisan gains. They are tired of being called lazy, drug addicted hobos. They are tired of submitting 100s of resumes and getting little or any response. They are tired of seeing Congress pass legislation that sends billions of dollars to unwinnable overseas wars, but not seeing Congress address 99ers needs. They are tired of looking for work and seeing “unemployed need not apply.” Older unemployed are tired of the obvious age discrimination being used by corporations large and small. They are tired of having their credit checked when applying for jobs, since many have had their credit destroyed by a crashing home values. They are tired of the lack of congressional action to create jobs. They are tired of hearing Republicans push for continued unfunded tax breaks for the wealthy while they classify unemployment benefits as deficit busters. They are tired of Democrats kowtowing to Republican filibuster threats. That’s just for starters, Sen. Schumer. Support for the 99ers can only go so far, since its action that’s needed.
sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Post  studioWI Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:38 pm

sc4ram wrote:Support for the 99ers can only go so far, since its action that’s needed.

Bravo.

studioWI

Back to top Go down

General EUC Discussion - Ongoing - Page 34 Empty Melodii and AWI

Post  lec1234 Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:42 am

One hour ago I spoke with Melodi. Good news for a change. The web site is in process of being updated. I am eligible for Tier II benefits and will be automatically enrolled. She said that I will receive a letter in the mail in a few days confirming my status and with instructions on certifying. Thank you, Melodi...and thank you God! :)

lec1234

Back to top Go down

General EUC Discussion - Ongoing - Page 34 Empty Tier 5: Schumer Promises Legislation To Help The 99ers

Post  sc4ram Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:54 am

sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

General EUC Discussion - Ongoing - Page 34 Empty Congress ponders Tier V

Post  sc4ram Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:29 pm

sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

General EUC Discussion - Ongoing - Page 34 Empty Transition from tier 2 into 3 automatic?

Post  atwoodt Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:44 pm

Reside in Florida. Tier 2 exhausted July 2, 2010. Thought that tier 3 was supposed to "kick in" without interuption. Is this just bad timing? Are they going to fold me into the new extention? Am I to continue into tier 3 once they get their system updated? Is the new ext. the reason for the lack of transfer to tier 3 from 2, they hold all until they get a "handle" on how to move forward? On the edge anyway...even if they pay back to July 2nd...by the time the letters get out, responce made, payout made it will be an 8 week lapse.

atwoodt

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:24 pm

atwoodt wrote:Reside in Florida. Tier 2 exhausted July 2, 2010. Thought that tier 3 was supposed to "kick in" without interuption. Is this just bad timing? Are they going to fold me into the new extention? Am I to continue into tier 3 once they get their system updated? Is the new ext. the reason for the lack of transfer to tier 3 from 2, they hold all until they get a "handle" on how to move forward? On the edge anyway...even if they pay back to July 2nd...by the time the letters get out, responce made, payout made it will be an 8 week lapse.

Not sure what you mean by "the new extension," because the legislation in Congress was just an extension of deadlnes, which would fold you into Tier 3 as you would expect. The interruption in weeks is the result of our dear AWI still using a 1970's mainframe to process all claims, so they need a few weeks from the time the bill is signed to get their processing act together to process the big surge of both ongoing plus renewed claims. You will get retroactive checks to July 2, perhaps in sections, I don't know.

If you are referring to 'the new extension" as the one that Florida has extended (even that is an extension of dates only) as the result of renewed 100% funding by the feds in the same recent bill from Congress, that program will not apply to you until you finish the Tiers. The Tiers have priority for payment; as long as the are available, the state will pay those benefits before dipping into possible EB, the state program of 20 weeks. (If you got EB last year, you can't get it again, unless you got only part of it.)

As far as the delay, this is not meant to minimize your pain in any way, but many who had their tiers interrupted have been waiting since around June 1, and then most of us from the "first wave" of benefits last year had to wait 2-1/2 months or longer for the first edition of EB. Welcome to the outrage club. That's why everyone who has exhausted all benefits and many still on benefits are pushing for not only a Tier V or some kind of added weeks, but also for some kind of better system to deal with both jobs and benefits, something better than this legislative merry-go-round of stop-start benefits and the high anxiety and financial losses that all the unemployed suffer.

Best approach for is not to wait for the letter in the mail, but to keep a close watch on the Hot Topics section of the AWI website for any updates on when they will start paying out, and when you can get into your account to renew claiming. The last date I saw was Aug 9 (not sure if that's changed--check the website), meaning probably you can get some kind of check by end of next week--but don't hold me to that, I don't work there!
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  Beaches Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:13 pm

FYI:

I just got off the phone with Tallahassee and they told me the site will be ready on Monday Aug 9th however if you used to report on a Tues that would still be your regular claim day but to see if the system will let me claim on Monday. You will receive all your retro benefits , If you are on extended benefits that will take a little longer. Aug 9th is only for EUC benefits tiers 1 thru 4. You do not have to wait to receive their letter to claim since my mail from them always gets to me 2 weeks later. So there is a little light at the end of the tunnel. Ü
Beaches
Beaches

Back to top Go down

General EUC Discussion - Ongoing - Page 34 Empty new AWI Press Release

Post  Star Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:52 pm

Star

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 37 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35, 36, 37  Next