Unemployed Florida

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unemployed Florida
Unemployed Florida
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eligibility For UIC, EB & EUC

+35
december32738
Steve_
brindz1@gmail.com
AMC23
spd76un
lorlu
pyrox
surfer
MerryL
Evelyn
frustratedinfl
eitherhalf
hart2heart2009
Jeff
mrgoodkat
ofantastic
ThatGirl03
DisneyDean
John in Orlando
sc4ram
connorsgp
hickstmj
AJG
bookerwt
Sheila
motley
Patricia Viera
jessica2009
JJ in Florida
nancym
howards12
grandmom49
GonzoFL
Unemployed In Orlando
JeanH
39 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Eligibility For UIC, EB & EUC - Page 2 Empty Re: Eligibility For UIC, EB & EUC

Post  JJ in Florida Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:21 pm

Nancy:

Your explanation in the above post is very well explained---thank you.

I lacked two months of being a full year at my last job, so this explains why my claim benefits are different. I wondered why I wasn't receiving the max amt.

When I was laid off in 2007 at a job of 3 years, I received the full amt of benefits, but this time in 2008, I didn't. I moved to Florida 22 yrs ago. I had not ever been "laid off" until I moved here, and seems I can't keep a job in this state!

https://unemployed-florida.forumotion.com/senate-bills-state-policies-federal-initiatives-f6/fl-sequence-of-unemployment-benefits-t22.htm#175

JJ in Florida

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:02 pm

JJ -- I hear ya! Seems like a FT job with benefits has become a fossil concept in this state. For that matter, even a FT job that lasts more than a couple years.

The whole mindset of corporations now is to have a "flexible" workforce. In a purely business way, it's sort of understandable, but also short-sighted. Businesses seem to have this odd idea that if they can employ someone for 6 months they can get as much out of them as a full-time employee who would at first appearances cost more. But that short-sightedness has led to poor performance, zero loyalty, and economic chaos. Florida has always been bad as far as treatment of workers, but now it's face is showing up uglier than ever in these tough times.

The only possible haven for workers is small businesses, and they are seriously hurting and can't borrow money!
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Eligibility For UIC, EB & EUC - Page 2 Empty Benefits Suspended

Post  Patricia Viera Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:19 pm

My benefits have been suspended for the second time in the 4-1/2 months that I've been unemployed. I received a letter requesting info on my part-time seasonal retail job, which I completed and returned. Still nothing. Has this happened to anyone else?

Patricia Viera

Back to top Go down

Eligibility For UIC, EB & EUC - Page 2 Empty Tier 2 Runs out the week ending 12/26/09

Post  motley Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:32 pm

Just in case anyone else has the same dates as i do in florida, my tier 2 extension is set to run out on the week ending 12/26/09 with a $11.00 check ( my last check is always less then my usual $237.00 check) I have been emailing and calling to get one of the new bills passed to extend the dates. I contacted the DOL regarding how florida plans to pay the tier 3 extension they just had a woman named joan call me from Tallahassee
i questioned her about it and she as most at awi new less then me about anything to do with unemployment, she said that florida per instructions from the dol are paying the added week of tier 2 first then the 13 weeks of tier 3 ( when i explained to her that i have read the dol instructions and that states had the choice to pay tier 3 first or pay added week of tier 2 first she of course new nothing about that) i also questioned her about the instructions saying without unduly delay which since no one in florida has got barely any info never mind actual payments seems like delay to me. so in the end she pretty much said i will miss the cutoff do to the added week and for me that means with the new calculation of 54% of benefit amount my added week check will be for $237.00, i also asked her when my account would reflect the new added week balance and she said it wont until i claim my last $11.00 partial check so i will get a $11.00 check the week ending 12/26 and a $237 check the week ending 1/2/10 and then that's it Well Woopie! She did babble about the good news is december 2, 2009 HR4183 was introduced which i nicely interupted her and let her no that i have been emailing and calling our reps pushing for it.
So anyone else expiring tier 2 on 12/26/09 will also not be eligible for tier 3 do to added week

**ADMIN EDIT - Moved to correct thread - please post within established threads, not just any and everywhere Smile

Last edited by Unemployed In Orlando on Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong thread)

motley

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:23 pm

Oh my GAWD, I can't believe they are doing this. I'm now absolutely certain that there's no one in AWI in a decision-making role who is capable of reading. As you point out, you are more informed than the rep you spoke with about the DOL directives.

Yeah, it's possible HR 3548 may pass by Christmas, but I bet she wasn't sitting through all those Senate debates like we were! And then how long will we have to wait for AWI to get the NEXT reprogramming done!?

When I first heard some post that they were told that extra 1 week of Tier 2 would be paid first I was hoping that was a mistake and that surely Florida wouldn't be so stupid, or mean-spirited, to do that. But if it's true I would bet there are lots of people in your shoes right now, needlessly so.

I'm so sorry to hear that.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  jessica2009 Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:46 pm

nancym wrote:
jessica2009 wrote:...but basically my question is this...my benefit year started 02/01/2009-i got one set of unemployment that i used until it ran out that was like 7,000 something at 275$ a week...then i got a second one at like 5,000somthing at 275$ a week...i only have 1,100 left and then what?!?! i have been applying for 1 new job everyday 7 days a week and nothing so far! i keep track of what i apply for but they never asked me to enter the information online to show that I was looking for a job!
After this one is up in a month will I be eligible for any other extensions? ...

jessica2009--

Your situation has a much simpler answer than JJ's even though your benefit years started at the same time. If you can answer these questions this way, it's very straightforward to calculate exactly when your benefits will end:

1) Did you work at any time since Feb 1, which would extend your benefits and alter the ending date?
2) Was your original awarded amount $7150?

If the answer to 1) is no, and the answer to 2) is yes, then you fall into the max benefits/weeks category, which calculates out like this:

26 weeks - regular benefits
20 weeks - Tier 1 (EUC1)
14 weeks - Tier 2 (EUC2)
20 weeks - EB (extended benefits, expired Nov 8, 2009)
13 weeks - new Tier 3 (pending program extension via Congress)
6 weeks - new Tier 4 (pending program extension via Congress)

Counting from Feb 1, 26 weeks takes you to Aug 1, when you would have started Tier 1. 20 weeks from Aug 1 is Dec 19 when you will be finished with Tier 1. That makes you eligible for Tier 2, which is 14 weeks. As long as you finish your Tier 1 before Dec 31, you will allowed to collect all of Tier 2, which would end on March 27 I believe.

At that point you could not get the state EB because it expired on Nov 8, but you would be eligible for the new Tier 3 ONLY if the EUC program cutoff date has been extended by Congress by that time. We fully expect that they will do that, possibly even before Christmas, but we really don't know how long it will take them. It would be hard to believe that they would not do this by March 27 however. So let's assume you were able to continue with Tier 3, which is 13 more weeks, you would also qualify for Tier 4 for 6 extra weeks if Florida stays at an unemployment rate of 8.5% or above 3-month average by that time (which it almost certainly will).

So you should be ok with benefits at least til Mar 27, and most likely beyond that. HOWEVER, if you worked at all so that your benefits for Tier 1 end AFTER Dec 31 and not before--then you have to throw these calculations out the window. If your current Tier 1 ends AFTER Dec 31, then you would be SOL, your benefits end entirely when that Tier ends, until Congress acts again to extend all these programs.

I have to assume that you might be claiming on the 7th or 8th for the previous two weeks? And then again on the 21 or 22nd for your final two weeks? If that's the case then you are ok to continue through March and beyond, as described above.

And finally, you are not being asked for work searches online because they only did that for the EB program, and you will never get that (lucky you!), since that expired on Nov 8 and you were still on Tier 1 at that time. But you should keep a good record of all your job searches anyway in case of any random audits that they sometimes do.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!! you are an amazing person thanks for replying! i dont know how i missed this reply!!!! I have never seen the weeks listed out like that and now i am feeling so much better about things! ok so i am on tier 1 right now! i thought i was on tier 2! I am so greatful for your knowledge on this situation!!! Very Happy

jessica2009

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:05 pm

jessica--

Heh-heh, actually I just answered you on the EB thread for your other post--even I'm confused! Yes, you got it, you're in Tier 1, lol!
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  jessica2009 Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:08 pm

nancym wrote:jessica--

Heh-heh, actually I just answered you on the EB thread for your other post--even I'm confused! Yes, you got it, you're in Tier 1, lol!

lol yeah i just got that reply thanks again Smile

jessica2009

Back to top Go down

Post  JJ in Florida Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:33 pm

Motley wrote:
"TIER 2 RUNS OUT THE WEEK ENDING 12/26/09
by motley on Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:32 pm

Just in case anyone else has the same dates as i do in florida, my tier 2 extension is set to run out on the week ending 12/26/09 with a $11.00 check ( my last check is always less then my usual $237.00 check) I have been emailing and calling to get one of the new bills passed to extend the dates. I contacted the DOL regarding how florida plans to pay the tier 3 extension they just had a woman named joan call me from Tallahassee
i questioned her about it and she as most at awi new less then me about anything to do with unemployment, she said that florida per instructions from the dol are paying the added week of tier 2 first then the 13 weeks of tier 3 ( when i explained to her that i have read the dol instructions and that states had the choice to pay tier 3 first or pay added week of tier 2 first she of course new nothing about that) i also questioned her about the instructions saying without unduly delay which since no one in florida has got barely any info never mind actual payments seems like delay to me. so in the end she pretty much said i will miss the cutoff do to the added week and for me that means with the new calculation of 54% of benefit amount my added week check will be for $237.00, i also asked her when my account would reflect the new added week balance and she said it wont until i claim my last $11.00 partial check so i will get a $11.00 check the week ending 12/26 and a $237 check the week ending 1/2/10 and then that's it Well Woopie! She did babble about the good news is december 2, 2009 HR4183 was introduced which i nicely interupted her and let her no that i have been emailing and calling our reps pushing for it.
So anyone else expiring tier 2 on 12/26/09 will also not be eligible for tier 3 do to added week"

Unfortunately, I am in the same boat as Motley. Tier II runs out the first week of Jan, 2010, and my BYE expires 1/31/10.
I am still hoping and praying I get a job -----SOON. I sure don't want my house to go into foreclosure. And, of course, I am praying the extension passes. We must keep our faith in God, our Father. He knows our needs.

(PS I couldn't get the quote thing to work!)

JJ in Florida

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheila Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:44 pm

JJ in Florida wrote:Nancy:

Your explanation in the above post is very well explained---thank you.

I lacked two months of being a full year at my last job, so this explains why my claim benefits are different. I wondered why I wasn't receiving the max amt.

When I was laid off in 2007 at a job of 3 years, I received the full amt of benefits, but this time in 2008, I didn't. I moved to Florida 22 yrs ago. I had not ever been "laid off" until I moved here, and seems I can't keep a job in this state!

https://unemployed-florida.forumotion.com/senate-bills-state-policies-federal-initiatives-f6/fl-sequence-of-unemployment-benefits-t22.htm#175

That's not true. How much unemployment you get is based on what you made per hour. This is why MOST folks in FL only initially get 20 weeks. The fact you didn't work a full year has absolutely nothing to do with it. All that is required is you worked 3/4 a year .

Sheila

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:37 pm

Sheila--It's also based in part on how much you made in which quarters. But please see my full reply to your other post in the EB thread.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  bookerwt Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:20 pm

I'm new to this forum. I was laid-off in Dec07 and rec'd pay for 26 weeks last year. I rec'd 13 more weeks this year. What are eligibility requirements to receive more weeks as I am still unemployed and can't retire for a couple more years.

bookerwt

Back to top Go down

Eligibility For UIC, EB & EUC - Page 2 Empty Tier II to Tier III

Post  JJ in Florida Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:28 pm

On Dec 8 (yesterday--whew, seems longer than that), I claimed my 2 weeks as usual & printed out my copies for my records. Today I went to check to see if $$ were deposited in my bank, and of course, it wasn't. Then I noticed the balance of the $$ was not what it had stated yesterday. I pulled out the copies I printed yesterday, and I have an extra $100 in my account balance !

This bothered me, so I contacted AWI this afternoon and spoke to Rebecca. She was very delightful and truely had a good attitude. She said I just phased into Tier III on Dec 8. This is the reason for the difference in the account balance.

She told me I was "one of the easy ones" because I didn't have to fill out the form to claim EUCIII. It was automatically done for me. I hung up. I then realized I just lost 4 weeks of Tier II. I had originally thought I would not get Tier III because Tier II ends *(ended) the first week in Jan 2010. (My standard claim ends 1/31/10.)

I felt so stupid when I realized what had happened, I didn't even try to call back.

I lost 4 weeks of Tier II--just like that! and the money that was in my account balance (over $2,000)---phasing into Tier III ! It seems like AWI just "dropped" Tier II weeks to phase into Tier III (dropping weeks like on EB) for no reason whatsoever !?!?!?! I am 99.99% sure I counted my weeks right. If I didn't, then this is my error.

Has this happened to anyone else? I understand I am not experiencing what some of you are experiencing because you guys have been unemployed longer than myself. I just think this is weird what happened to me.

My plan is to call again tomorrow.

Thanks for listening.

JJ in Florida

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:32 pm

bookerwt wrote:I'm new to this forum. I was laid-off in Dec07 and rec'd pay for 26 weeks last year. I rec'd 13 more weeks this year. What are eligibility requirements to receive more weeks as I am still unemployed and can't retire for a couple more years.

Hi, bookerwt--welcome to the forum! It's been kinda crazy here lately, as you might have noticed. Smile

If you go over to this thread, I've put up a complete list of the sequence of benefits in Florida under current law (see the very first post in the thread):

https://unemployed-florida.forumotion.com/senate-bills-state-policies-federal-initiatives-f6/fl-sequence-of-unemployment-benefits-t22.htm

Since you were laid off after May of '06, you should be eligible for all of those benefits except EB (Extended Benefits), which essentially expired on Nov 8 with this new law. But that assumes that you haven't worked at all during all this time, or at least not enough to qualify you for a new benefit year, which usually gives you a much lower weekly benefit unless you earned a good amount of money to qualify for more.

I'm not clear why you got only 13 weeks of Tier 1--are you still collecting on that tier, which has 20 weeks total? Please read what's at that link and hopefully that will answer some questions. Bottom line, whatever Tier you exhaust before Dec 31 this year, you will qualify for the next Tier carrying over into 2010, then nothing until further legislation is passed.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  motley Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:57 am

JJ in Florida wrote:On Dec 8 (yesterday--whew, seems longer than that), I claimed my 2 weeks as usual & printed out my copies for my records. Today I went to check to see if $$ were deposited in my bank, and of course, it wasn't. Then I noticed the balance of the $$ was not what it had stated yesterday. I pulled out the copies I printed yesterday, and I have an extra $100 in my account balance !

This bothered me, so I contacted AWI this afternoon and spoke to Rebecca. She was very delightful and truely had a good attitude. She said I just phased into Tier III on Dec 8. This is the reason for the difference in the account balance.

She told me I was "one of the easy ones" because I didn't have to fill out the form to claim EUCIII. It was automatically done for me. I hung up. I then realized I just lost 4 weeks of Tier II. I had originally thought I would not get Tier III because Tier II ends *(ended) the first week in Jan 2010. (My standard claim ends 1/31/10.)

I felt so stupid when I realized what had happened, I didn't even try to call back.

I lost 4 weeks of Tier II--just like that! and the money that was in my account balance (over $2,000)---phasing into Tier III ! It seems like AWI just "dropped" Tier II weeks to phase into Tier III (dropping weeks like on EB) for no reason whatsoever !?!?!?! I am 99.99% sure I counted my weeks right. If I didn't, then this is my error.

Has this happened to anyone else? I understand I am not experiencing what some of you are experiencing because you guys have been unemployed longer than myself. I just think this is weird what happened to me.

My plan is to call again tomorrow.

Thanks for listening.

JJ, That's wierd let me know what you find out, they updated my account yesterday to reflect the added week of tier 2. Which of course now makes me miss tier 3 by a week.

motley

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:16 pm

(I'm posting this on multiple threads intentionally.)

For anyone needing to check exactly how Florida determines total benefits and weekly amounts, that info is online, but I have posted it on this forum for convenience as well:

https://unemployed-florida.forumotion.com/senate-bills-state-policies-federal-initiatives-f6/how-to-calculate-unemployment-eligibility-and-the-weekly-benefit-amount-t141.htm#2444

This may be helpful to anyone not knowing exactly when their various Tiers and programs ended. And also this info may help some who need to determine if they might be considered for a new benefit year if they take a temp job that pays a certain amount. (Most do not want to go to a new benefit year because the amount paid is a fraction of their former weekly benefit.)
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:32 pm

JJ--

That has to be the weirdest thing I've seen posted on this forum, EVER--unless of course you haven't calculated your number of weeks correctly. (See previous post and the earlier Sequence of benefits post in that same "Senate bill, state policies, etc... " thread.)

So it sounds like you were on EB just prior to this, according to the way they handled your account. Is that possible? You would know if you were on EB very easily because you would have been asked to fill in your work search records online (or on a paper form) with detailed info about where you applied for jobs. If you never did this, you were never on EB. UNLESS--there was some weirdness in that they technically put you into EB for just that first week before they automatically switched you over to EUC3???

That is definitely weird. Before I call them back though, I'd make sure you have the right number of weeks figured out in each program. Good luck!
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  JJ in Florida Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:27 am

nancym wrote:JJ--

That has to be the weirdest thing I've seen posted on this forum, EVER--unless of course you haven't calculated your number of weeks correctly. (See previous post and the earlier Sequence of benefits post in that same "Senate bill, state policies, etc... " thread.)

So it sounds like you were on EB just prior to this, according to the way they handled your account. Is that possible? You would know if you were on EB very easily because you would have been asked to fill in your work search records online (or on a paper form) with detailed info about where you applied for jobs. If you never did this, you were never on EB. UNLESS--there was some weirdness in that they technically put you into EB for just that first week before they automatically switched you over to EUC3???

That is definitely weird. Before I call them back though, I'd make sure you have the right number of weeks figured out in each program. Good luck!

Hello Nancy & all:

I thought you would think my post was the weirdest one you had ever seen!

The bottom line is my claim is all weird because of my work history, Base Period and my base quarters. This is why I could not "connect" to what everyone else was saying.

Without going and scrambling for a calendar, I am guessing at some of these dates:

Nov 26 (?), 2007 Laid off ( the day after Thanksgiving)
Feb 14, 2008 Found work
April 12, (?) 2008 Laid off
April 22, (?) 2008 Found work (Got a job 10 days after being laid off)
Feb 4, 2009 Laid off

Unemployment benefits:
20.8 weeks Reg UE
16,8 weeks EUC I
6.6 weeks EUCII
5.6 (?) weeks EUCIII
BYE 1/31/10

I calculate I will have no more unemployment the 3rd week of Jan, 2010.

AWI can not do anything more for me. This is all about my work history---and this is what my benefits are based on. I lost my jobs THROUGH NO FAULT OF MY OWN. But, it is what it is.
A while back, I was told I would have to file a new claim....don't know what that is all about yet, except, I can "work casually". Claim under $58 per week, and not more thatn $825 for the whoe time. I am just gonna stay away from that. I will continue to seek full-time work with no benefits.

Nancy: you ARE and have been the most through person to explain all this mess of UE to all of us. You are so greatly appreciated! So informative, and such a help to all. I thank you again and again for the rep phone numbers I found on this website. I have talked to a couple of them. They were both vrey helpful to me.

I don't see any reason to contact anyone else regarding my situation. It is what it is. As I explained before, I haven't been unemployed as long as most of you. This is why my situation is so different than yours. And why I had so many questions.

**** I had an interview yesterday afternoon, but I was not the chosen candidate. It was one of those "too good to be true" jobs. A ma & pop business (31years in business), looking for someone long-term permanent. The pay was wonderful, close to my home, paid holidays, and no weekends. (sigh) For a FLORIDA job, this was like--- just UNREAL.........but it was really true. (another sigh)

Their girl is leaving on Dec 23---and the employer would have called me today by 5:30pm if I had been the one chosen. The phone was dead silent all afternoon.......She interviewed one other person, also yesterday, So, it was the choice of two people, and I didn't win.....

My heart is so heavy tonight. I almost feel like giving up.......so close........(heavy, heavy sigh)

Thank you all for "bearing with me" the scenario of my UE situation. I will no longer be posting anymore, but I will continue to read the posts and information regarding your situations.

May God's blessing be upon all of us.

JJ in Florida

Back to top Go down

Eligibility For UIC, EB & EUC - Page 2 Empty so sorry to hear

Post  nancym Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:32 pm

JJ--

I'm SO sorry to hear that. It's such a crushing blow to come so close to getting a "normal life" back, and then it not happening. Several of us here have gone through the same thing recently. If it's not the job competition, it's the big companies just cutting existing positions. That happened to me last month--a month of interviews and even travel, got to the top of the list and the company just decided to cut out the position! Another poster here, mom4x, was doing the same thing, travel, interviews over a month, only to lose out in the end. It's just devastating. The only "consolation" we have is that we got to the top of the list, but small comfort in the end when it goes nowhere.

Guess it does explain a lot, your work history, but you seem to have had the worst luck with the calendar! You even missed out on the 20 weeks of EB most got this year!

HOWEVER, please note two discussion threads on this site.

One is for pending legislation for the last of the Tiers--Tier 4. This is not much help to you, since it appears you would probably get only a few weeks, since the max is 6 weeks. Legislation is going forward, with even a possibility that it will happen before Christmas, bundled in with the gigantic Defense Appropriations bill. The thread to track that is in the "Senate bills...etc." section, it's called "When will Congress act to extend ARRA and the EUC program?"

Second, you say you worked from April 08 to Feb 09? When your Tiers run out, whether it's EUC3 or even if you get EUC4, you might just be able to get a new benefit year with a brand new claim for "regular benefits." It might not be much at all per week, but that depends entirely on just how much you made in that time and how much in each quarter.

You don't have to wait til your benefit year ends to do a rough calculation of what you should be able to get. Get out you pay stubs and records and go to the thread in that same section, but this thread is called "How to Calculate your Benefits" (or something like that--I just added that the other day, cut an pasted from the AWI website.).

Understand that they calculate a new benefit year whenever you've got enough credits in the system to add up to being eligible, and after the end of any current benefit year. It goes like this, you count the first 4 of the last previous quarters:

Jan-March 2010 - If you apply before Mar 31, 2010, this quarter doesn't count and...
Oct-Dec 2009 - ...this quarter is thrown out.
Jul-Sept 2009 - You count wages in this quarter (not unemployment, not any casual or 1099 work)
Apr-Jun 2009 - ditto
Jan-Mar 2009 - ditto
Oct-Dec 2008 - ditto

Calculate this up and see what you get, and check the additional requirements and the guidelines in that other post about "How to calculate..."

And you might ask them (call a reliable rep!) if they would let you apply for a new benefit year before your EUC3 expires (not sure if that is allowed or not), because that would give you an entire extra quarter (July-Sept '08) upon which to base a new claim. Try that as a hypothetical in your calculations.

Good luck!!!
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Eligibility For UIC, EB & EUC - Page 2 Empty New eligibility changes

Post  AJG Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:01 pm

Hi: I'm new to this forum, so I hope that I'm posting in the right place. I understand from reading/listening to the news that the Senate approved the Defense Bill that contained changes to unemployment eligibility. In my case, my UC started on July 1, 2009 receiving the max $7,150 and my last UC week will be January 2, 2010 which disqualified me from receiving any EB or Tiers. I understand that the Senate has 30 hours before the bill can be submitted to the President for signature.

Assuming that the President does sign the bill into law sometime next week and based on reading Nancy's Florida Sequence of Unemployment Benefits - Revised 12/1/09; I'm I correct in assuming then that I will start receiving an additional 20 weeks under Tier 1 (EUC1), to be followed by Tier 2, Tier 3, etc.?

And to conclude, will the process be automatic or will I have to do something to receive the EUCs?

I thank you in advance for your assistance.

AJG

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:39 pm

AJG wrote: ...In my case, my UC started on July 1, 2009 receiving the max $7,150 and my last UC week will be January 2, 2010 which disqualified me from receiving any EB or Tiers... I'm I correct in assuming then that I will start receiving an additional 20 weeks under Tier 1 (EUC1), to be followed by Tier 2, Tier 3, etc.? And to conclude, will the process be automatic or will I have to do something to receive the EUCs?

You are correct (and wow, you really were on the edge of the deadline--Jan 2!), everyone will receive the next tier of their sequence--in your case, you lucky dog (just kidding!) a whole 20 weeks. There's no question the Prez will sign this bill; even with all the pork and stuff, they have him over a barrel to sign it; someone even said that would be today.

The transition to Tier 1 from regular benefits is normally automatic, but 1) I'm not sure if AWI will have a gap due to programming, and 2) you may have to check with them to confirm if there's anything you need to do.

But the new eligibility date is Feb 28, which means that any tiers qualified for before that date can be paid in the months following that date, but it does not mean that all the other tiers will follow. There is a new payout cutoff date around August or something like that, but more importantly, the way the law works is still in increments--i.e., you qualify only for that next tier in the sequence that you can get eligibility for before Feb 28.

Most of the "long term" unemployed will be able to get only Tier 4 for 6 weeks, some even less depending on their usual percentage of benefits. Some will go to longer tiers like yourself. Some may even make it to qualify for more than one tier if theirs are short enough. But no one gets any more EB, unless Florida's legislature acts on that (sort of doubtful in the near future).

We hope that the upcoming talked about jobs bill (next session) will give another extension to that eligibility date so that more people can access more tiers, but that bill is not even constructed yet. And who knows, if it's a true JOBS bill, can we hope for an actual job?

I'll be updating the "sequence of benefits" thread to reflect this new law. And btw, if you call AWI right away about this, don't expect all of them to know what the heck you are talking about. As we all know by now, not too many reps follow the unemployment news like we do, and it will take the DOL a week or two to get the new directives out to AWI and for that memo to filter down to the call centers and staff. There may be some announcement on their home page, I would think, but you never know when they will do that either.

Last edited by nancym on Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added to last paragraph)
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  hickstmj Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:00 pm

My balance for regular benefits is $825.00. I receive the maximum $275 per week. The last time I claimed weeks was through February Feb 7th. According to my calculation I will run out of benefits exactly on Feb. 28th which I won't claim unitl March 8th. Does anyone know if I will be eligible for any type of extended benefits? Thank you for any help.

hickstmj

Back to top Go down

Post  connorsgp Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:34 pm

you probably should call one of the contact numbers listed on this blog...that being said I feel pretty confident that the Feb 28 deadline will be extended, and if the Senate goes past the 28th when they finally pass the legislation I'm sure it will be retroactive

connorsgp

Back to top Go down

Eligibility For UIC, EB & EUC - Page 2 Empty Extensions

Post  Sheila Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:38 pm

I spoke with a unemployment representative today, (Had to call as they jipped me yet another 2 weeks), and he told me after February 28, all extensions will come to an end no matter which one you are on. I don't know if that is true and it is hard to find actual information on it. I hope they pass another bill this upcoming week, but there is no guarantee of that. Talk about waiting until the last minute.

*BTW - I only get 3 and a half weeks of Tier 4 as they took money from me for weeks in November!!!!!! I already lost $1900 in November when they canceled the EB.

Sheila

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:09 am

Sheila wrote:I spoke with a unemployment representative today, (Had to call as they jipped me yet another 2 weeks), and he told me after February 28, all extensions will come to an end no matter which one you are on. I don't know if that is true and it is hard to find actual information on it. I hope they pass another bill this upcoming week, but there is no guarantee of that. Talk about waiting until the last minute.

*BTW - I only get 3 and a half weeks of Tier 4 as they took money from me for weeks in November!!!!!! I already lost $1900 in November when they canceled the EB.

All extensions do come to an end Feb 28, but as long as you START whichever tier before that date, you can finish out that tier. Most of those who got the full max weeks will run out of weeks by the end of March.

And there is no new tier after Tier 4 planned right now unless Congress is made more aware of the crisis of over 5 million people who will completely run out of benefits by and before the end of July! And over 1.5 million will run out of benefits completely by the end of March or, like yourself, earlier. Right now is the critical time to call your Congressmen about helping those losing benefits, not just the people on regular, Tier 1, and Tier 2, who will be cut off on Feb 28, but also the larger group who will not benefit from any of the recently proposed bills in Congress!
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next