Unemployed Florida

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unemployed Florida
Unemployed Florida
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

tier four questions

5 posters

Go down

tier four  questions Empty tier four questions

Post  gloriie Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:07 pm

i just had a few questions since everyone here seems to be so awesomely knowledgeable...

1. once tier 4 runs out then what? is that when you go to EB? or is the tier 4 EB itself?
2. the learn return earn program...do we know what area's of studies this will cover? i am currently going to school for elementary education and from what i understand its not covered.(like Florida doesn't need teachers, right?}
3. do we know if there are going to be any new bills passed to increase benefits?

Thanks for all responses its greatly appreciated.
Crist >Evil or Very Mad

gloriie

Back to top Go down

tier four  questions Empty Re: tier four questions

Post  nancym Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:20 am

gloriie--

I assume you posted here in the training section because of your question number 2, but I can only answer the other two questions. (I'm not familiar with the "learn return earn program"--is that under WIA or something new?)

As for post-Tier 4, sorry, but there is absolutely nothing planned beyond Tier 4. EB no longer exists in Florida at this time. And there is currently absolutely no new legislation so far that adds new weeks of benefits. The new jobs bill that many seem to think has this in fact does not, at least as it has been passed by the House and is now being considered by the Senate. That bill provides only extensions of current program eligibility deadlines, along with some measures to try to create jobs. If you are planning to go to school you may not be able to count on benefits, but depending on where you are, you may have grants for tuition and books and then be able to get school loans for living expenses.

As for increased benefits, kind of a moot point for those of us finishing up Tier 4 by the end of March, but I have not heard of any kind of increase beyond that extra $25 we already have.

I'm not sure of the exact number, but I believe around 2-3 million people will completely run out of benefits by the end of March or earlier. It's hard to believe that Congress would let that happen in an election year, but if there were any further benefits it might not happen til much too late for many of us.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

tier four  questions Empty thanks for the reply.

Post  gloriie Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:12 am

Didn't mean to post in this section (i think?)

from what i understand, if you are currently reviving benefits, you can go to a work-source center take an orientation and fill out some forms. they then decide if you can continue to receive until you finish out your education, what is frustrating is that i signed up for this program,did the interview got approved all that good stuff (about 3 months ago) and now i am being told that only certain areas of study are covered and a teaching degree might not be one of them. I hate that the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing in this state.

gloriie

Back to top Go down

Post  Robyn Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:12 pm

gloriie,
I think you're referring to the Learn Return & Earn program in the Jax area, right? It's Recovery Act funded, I think, but I haven't heard much about this since last fall. Definitely call your regional Worksource (I think that's what it is in that area) to determine the status of your application. Don't rely on the one-stop centers - they seem to be a source of contradictory information.
The person at Worksource who manages Learn Return & Earn should know what scholarships are available. Be persistent!

Edit: If I were you and I had papers indicating I had been approved for this program, I would go to the Workforce office and find someone w/ answers. Just my 2 cents.

Robyn

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:13 pm

gloriie wrote:Didn't mean to post in this section (i think?)

from what i understand, if you are currently reviving benefits, you can go to a work-source center take an orientation and fill out some forms. they then decide if you can continue to receive until you finish out your education, what is frustrating is that i signed up for this program,did the interview got approved all that good stuff (about 3 months ago) and now i am being told that only certain areas of study are covered and a teaching degree might not be one of them. I hate that the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing in this state.

Again, I don't know the particulars about the program you mention, but I'm being a bit skeptical about the continued benefits thing, no matter what program it is. I.e., for WIA programs, in all the cases that people have been able to get them, their benefits have continued, but benefits continue only for the existing tiers, not new benefits beyond those. If you are in the early stages of unemployment and have many months left of benefits, then you would be ok, but if you're like a lot of us coming up to the end of ALL benefits by the end of March or earlier, then that's all there is, no matter if you're going to school or not.

Maybe this program you're talking about is different, but I was just wondering about that.

Also, I don't know if I can find the links, but there are other programs that help you if you want to go into or continue with teaching, especially teaching certain subjects. I was reading recently about those grants and opportunities, but I don't have those links handy right at the moment. There were some good things for certain subject areas and these programs had nothing at all to do with AWI, unemployment benefits, or WIA. If you cannot get what you want from the sources at the employment offices, I would expand my search for other sources; you may be able to find another way toward your goal, even if it involves initial school loans (which can be cancelled or cut greatly for some of these programs).
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

tier four  questions Empty just replying to stuff.

Post  gloriie Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:29 pm

I thought that everyone got the same letter? it stated something to the effect that you may be able to continue claiming if you enroll in an approved school. I spoke with AWI and from what they are saying, once tier 4 runs out i can still apply for EB. I asked if the EB was still in effect and was told yes. I don't understand why this state has no idea what anyone in any of their programs are doing.

gloriie

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:10 pm

gloriie wrote:I thought that everyone got the same letter? it stated something to the effect that you may be able to continue claiming if you enroll in an approved school. I spoke with AWI and from what they are saying, once tier 4 runs out i can still apply for EB. I asked if the EB was still in effect and was told yes. I don't understand why this state has no idea what anyone in any of their programs are doing.

I find that hard to believe, not doubting what you are saying, just doubting the person who told you that! Maybe you have some unusual claim or something, leftover EB funds or something? If they are saying you can get EB when you go to school I would be totally interested in that myself, since I am in the process of applying for a WIA grant. I'll ask my case manager if she knows anything about that, but I think the Workforce people who manage the training programs know next to nothing about unemployment benefits, which are handled in a totally different department. If EB (Extended Benefits) are available it would have to be coming out of some special fund, since the regular EB funding program that started Feb 22 expired for sure on Jan 2.

If I were you I would try to confirm that with Melody or Cassandra, whose direct numbers are in AWI Contacts on this board.

Keep us posted!
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

tier four  questions Empty ???

Post  Sheila Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:32 am

gloriie wrote:I thought that everyone got the same letter? it stated something to the effect that you may be able to continue claiming if you enroll in an approved school. I spoke with AWI and from what they are saying, once tier 4 runs out i can still apply for EB. I asked if the EB was still in effect and was told yes. I don't understand why this state has no idea what anyone in any of their programs are doing.
Maybe that is just in the area you live in. In Ocala, there is no help whatsoever. It's the same drill. THEY (CLM workforce, a complete joke) tell you 'come on in and we will help you go to school'..So you go down there and then they tell you they WILL NOT fund ANY short term courses, you have to go to school for 40 weeks or more and you have to go home and find out what is available then come back and see IF they will approve it. So after doing all that, which is ridiculous, they flat out say 'So, how are you going to support yourself'? The idiots. The total idiots. Now, I have known people who enrolled in courses because they were new to unemployment and thought they had time to go to school. NOPE. The GOVERNMENT cut their benefits and so they had to drop out. I don't know what FL is going to do with all the unemployed after March, but it is obvious the state doesn't give a hoot.

Sheila

Back to top Go down

Post  gloriie Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:17 am

Okay so after calling a million times and talking to a million AWI people, as well as the chick that made the decisions on my case this is what i got.

The learnreturnearn program will let you keep claiming benefits up until they run out as long as your schooling does not interfere with your job hunt. if you get to the point where you tell them your going to school and you want to continue to claim when they ask " would you quit school over a job?" (i said yes) that's the main question and they ask it 400 times 500 ways.(figure THAT one out!) I should have just listened to the comments on here, there is nothing after tier four....NOTHING. I know most of you are used to this idea already but hell whats going to happen when everyone runs out and NOTHING happens?? as you can see I'm not used to this idea yet... work-source centers will help pay for classes...if i go into construction or welding...but not teaching or medical. and its based on what you are getting from financial aid...so the more you get the less they help...i get it. from the looks of it come march when my claim runs out the best option i see so far is to stay in school with loans and financial aid and get on food stamps. thanks all that helped and were so awesome to answer my questions.

gloriie

Back to top Go down

Post  hsd Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:31 pm

I was given a form to fill out & faxed it in to Tallahassee. Got no answer, nada.
hsd
hsd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down