Unemployed Florida

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unemployed Florida
Unemployed Florida
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible

+36
InsuranceMan
connorsgp
Me From Jax
sharonB
LJ
cherylrose
Hoppy
Jacqui
Judy
aiden lee
frustratedinfl
John in Orlando
grandmom49
michellebailey
nelsong
nachomama
jim stratton
MiamiVice
ddee2026
Jeff
Tampa Bay - Anna
Maggi MIami
fred
kittyg59
Robbi314
flandar
tj21121008
waybol
hsd
GonzoFL
help
daytonawanda
SaraJ
nancym
Unemployed In Orlando
sc4ram
40 posters

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down

Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible - Page 17 Empty Re: Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible

Post  LJ Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:43 pm

They will have it done way before Jan!

LJ

Back to top Go down

Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible - Page 17 Empty Re: Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:10 pm

nachomama wrote:
waybol wrote:I hope AWI is prepared for us this time

I phoned my local One-Stop Workforce Connection and was connected to the unemployment people... I almost fainted when she said
that the Bill had passed but not to expect any payments until JANUARY..... I said "You have got to be kidding me" she replied by saying that that's what they have been told so far.. If this is true... Hell we will have starved to death by then.. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

If your going by what AWI is telling you at this point then yeah you will just drive yourself nuts. People with AWI were telling us 3 weeks after we received EB packets that there was no EB hahaha lol!
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

https://unemployed-florida.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  GonzoFL Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:26 pm

Here's the newest release from Florida AWI. It isn't very informative,but at least it shows they are awake and aware of the new extension. That's quite a coup for AWI. Shocked

http://www.floridajobs.org/unemployment/EUC_09/index.html
GonzoFL
GonzoFL

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:43 pm

This is some great news. Lots of people are/will be gladdened by it. But isn't it odd that what began as a 2.4 billion dollar unemployment bill, finished as a 24 billion dollar economic stimulus bill?

PS: Hey UIO, is this the right thread for this post?

Last edited by Jeff on Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added PS)

Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:37 pm

Live from the Rose Garden, the president has confirmed he has signed off on the bill Very Happy
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:19 pm

He stated in his speech that we would be able to apply for these benefits immediately. Wonder who determines how long "immediately" is? scratch

4-6 weeks or longer doesn't seem very immediate...... Laughing

Judy

Back to top Go down

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:39 pm

Judy wrote:He stated in his speech that we would be able to apply for these benefits immediately. Wonder who determines how long "immediately" is? scratch

4-6 weeks or longer doesn't seem very immediate...... Laughing

Yeah this is what happened last time, they do their part, wipe their hands clean and now its up for the state agencies to deal with all the bs.
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  grandmom49 Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:36 pm

Pres, Obama's statement after signing benefits extension.

http://govne.ws/item/Remarks-by-the-President-in-the-Rose-Garden

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible - Page 17 Empty Senator Nelson

Post  nancym Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:42 pm

Just thought I'd post this about our Senator Nelson. I don't know if anyone else here got this same call, but today I was surprised to get a call from Senator Nelson's office, notifying me that the bill had passed. It wasn't any kind of puffery about the Senator and the fact that he had put his name on at least one of those cloture vote endorsement lists or anything like that about how he had helped the unemployed. It was just an aide calling, apparently they had my name listed as a constituent who had called about the bill, letting me know the bill had passed. I told her I knew that already, but thanked her for the call.

Even though they may not realize just how glued we are to our tv sets or CSPAN2 on our computers, I just thought it was nice to get a non-BS call from a senator, just getting the word out about the bill. I remember there were some people who didn't even know about the EB provisions until it was almost too late to apply for them last extension, as hard as that might be to believe. So it was my "help is on the way" call.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  hsd Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:50 pm

It shows that I am watching this topic but I haven't gotten any notifications about any new posts in at least a month.
hsd
hsd

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy Fri Nov 06, 2009 7:10 pm

nancym wrote:Just thought I'd post this about our Senator Nelson. I don't know if anyone else here got this same call, but today I was surprised to get a call from Senator Nelson's office, notifying me that the bill had passed. It wasn't any kind of puffery about the Senator and the fact that he had put his name on at least one of those cloture vote endorsement lists or anything like that about how he had helped the unemployed. It was just an aide calling, apparently they had my name listed as a constituent who had called about the bill, letting me know the bill had passed. I told her I knew that already, but thanked her for the call.

Even though they may not realize just how glued we are to our tv sets or CSPAN2 on our computers, I just thought it was nice to get a non-BS call from a senator, just getting the word out about the bill. I remember there were some people who didn't even know about the EB provisions until it was almost too late to apply for them last extension, as hard as that might be to believe. So it was my "help is on the way" call.

Nancy,

You are soooooooooo right about the EB extension!!! I knew NOTHING about it until about the last part of June when I went online to file for benefits because I couldn't get thru by phone. I do think that it is great the Nelson's office is on top of this - maybe he can help do something about getting this new extension implemented. I emailed AWI today and asked how they could interpert "immediately" into 4-6 weeks. I am anxiously awaiting their reply Laughing

Judy

Judy

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:24 pm

Sounds pretty believable to me; shouldn't that be under the EUC discussion link? Or didn't you dare to go there, ha-ha!

BTW, I guess I owe you HALF a beer as it appears now.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  michelle Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:03 pm

Can anybody answer this question that I have? I have exhausted all of my benefits, will I have to reapply for the new extension or will I automatically receive it? Question
michelle
michelle

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:47 am

michelle wrote:Can anybody answer this question that I have? I have exhausted all of my benefits, will I have to reapply for the new extension or will I automatically receive it? Question

Please go to the AWI website for more details on procedures, but from what they have told us so far, anyone who has already exhausted benefits is supposed to wait for eligibility letters to be sent out. (This was their policy last time with EB, but we were also able to apply online before we all received those letters.) Those who are still getting benefits will apparently be automatically switched over to new benefits more easily. (Though seemingly unfair, this does make sense, since AWI has to confirm that you didn't work during those non-claim weeks, so has to re-confirm eligibility.)

Please direct all questions in future about individual cases of EUC to or ongoing EUC discussion thread over at https://unemployed-florida.forumotion.com/latest-uc-eb-euc-awi-news-f1/general-euc-discussion-ongoing-t119-75.htm

There may always be some overlap, but let's keep this thread for ongoing efforts to get further legislation enacted to continue EUC benefits for those who will be cut off by current deadlines. (See next post.)
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible - Page 17 Empty NELP announcement re further legislation

Post  nancym Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:58 am

[This is a deliberate re-posting from the EUC ongoing discussion thread. Even though there will always be some overlap, If possible, let's keep this thread going for the continued political efforts for EUC and other extension legislation.Please use the "General EUC discussion - ongling" thread for questions about individual cases and AWI procedures and issues.]

I didn't have a chance to post this yesterday, but I did get through to a NELP attorney. I pointed out the discrepancy between their recent FAQ (link posted above) and their previous press release in regard to the extra six weeks under current law. They promised to take a look at that, but also sent me an email that I'll post below. (Some of you may have received this; if it's posted elsewhere, the more the better.)

We knew that NELP has been working for months on not only the current bill but also HR 3404 and S 1647, but the spotlight went off those when McDermott figured it would take forever to get those through Congress with the pricetag on them, so he offered our current "emergency" bill first. Now NELP is focusing on those that were left out in that bill (and for some the manner in which they are left out seems almost capricious in the way the calendar determines cutoffs).

So NELP is asking for those most affected by the deficiencies in the current law which leave many more recently unemployed out in the cold as early as the first of January. Below is the contents of the email; anyone affected, please contact them in response in order for them to show Congress how urgent it is to fill in the gaps of the current unemployment laws.

Please note that all those who have already qualified by exhausting Tier 2 at any time before the end of December will NOT be cut off on Jan 1, but will get the full benefit of Tier 3 for 14 weeks, and when that is finished, assuming Florida still is at 8.5 or above, we hope that Congress will have acted by that time to confirm the additional 6 weeks promised in HR 3548.According to NELP's latest FAQ sheet, whichever Tier you qualify for (start) before Jan 1you will be able to finish out that Tier into 2010.

------------------------NELP emai--------------------
[On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 12:52 PM, National Employment Law Project Testimony <unemployedworkers.org@gmail.com> wrote:]

The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) provides extended unemployment benefits to workers exhausting their unemployment benefits through December 31, 2009.

Although there is nothing in the current unemployment extension legislation that addresses the issue of those individuals that exhaust their benefits on or after January 1, 2010, media reports indicate Congressional leaders and the President have made public statements endorsing the continuation of key aspects of ARRA, including extensions. (See Obama Aides Act to Fix Safety Net http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/06/us/politics/06jobless.html?scp=1&sq=jackie%20calmes%20unemployment&st=cse). In order to get legislation enacting further extensions in 2010 passed, we have to fight for it and get stories like yours out to the media.

We are always looking for people to speak out and tell their stories either by volunteering for press conferences or by speaking out on our website. If you are interested please respond to the following questions below and you can be added to NELP’s Media Bank. Please use the Worker Forum sign-up form found here: http://www.unemployedworkers.org/page/s/uistories

1. Where do you live?
2. What is your age?
3. Do you have any children?
4. What job did you previously hold?
5. When did you become unemployed?
6. What type of benefits (regular state or one of the extensions) are you currently receiving?
7. When are your benefits going to run out?
8. Are you single or married? If married, is your spouse employed?
9. In your own words tell us about your situation
--
Disclaimer
No legal advice is being given and no attorney-client relationship is created by the use of this information. An attorney should be consulted for more detailed information in individual cases. The National Employment Law Project (NELP) shall not be liable for the information provided herein, or for the results obtained from the use of such information.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  John in Orlando Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:57 pm

I get my last EB check on friday for 189$.It says that I have no more weeks to claim can anyone advise me on what to do next?Also should I continue the work search requirements and try to claim my weeks anyway?

I'm really lost in all of this and don't know what to do.

John in Orlando

Back to top Go down

Post  grandmom49 Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:39 pm

NELP just sent me the link to their fact sheet. That should answer any questions more clearly than I ever could.
http://www.nelp.org/page/-/unemployedworkers/hr3548.factsheet.pdf?nocdn=1

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

Post  GonzoFL Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:36 pm

John in Orlando wrote:I get my last EB check on friday for 189$.It says that I have no more weeks to claim can anyone advise me on what to do next?Also should I continue the work search requirements and try to claim my weeks anyway?

I'm really lost in all of this and don't know what to do.

John:

I would continue with my work search records,there required anyway.EB required you list 2 per week on your claim in order to get your benefits. I thought I had read on the AWI web site that if you exhausted your extensions after Nov 7th,you would be enrolled without filing a new claim. So maybe you will be automatic for the new extension. I would continue to monitor AWI's web site for updates and also monitor your account information on line. If this extension holds true,you may actually see your account go from 0 to $$ before you get a letter. Also,continue to check back here. We have nearly 400 registered members that are constantly researching and calling trying to get the latest info.
P.S. As for trying to claim after you account zero's out I believe will be futile.
GonzoFL
GonzoFL

Back to top Go down

Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible - Page 17 Empty Is this AWI FAQ Answer not necessarily correct...or did I miss something?(6Nov09 directive)

Post  GonzoFL Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:01 pm

This is a Q&A from the AWI web site dated Nov.6,2009.

Q: I am currently receiving Extended Benefits (EB), will I receive the Tier III Emergency benefits?
A: Yes, customers will automatically be enrolled in EUC Tier III.

If EB is set to expire at the end of the year(I think it's 31Dec) and your still on EB past that date(say your EB doesn't exhaust till Jan. 15th,2010) How will you be able to receive Tier III? Don't you have to exhaust all current EUC and EB before you can qualify for Tier III?......I believe you do....and with that being said.....if your EB doesn't exhaust until 15Jan2010,you will be past the cut off date of year end 2009. Or,will they stop your EB prematurely,and roll you into tier III? Can't see that happening.

I point this out because either AWI is wrong or I have missed something somewhere....which is possible. Maybe this has been addressed before,but i just happened to notice it today. Any comments or interpretations would be appreciated. This is getting more and more confusing by the day.
GonzoFL
GonzoFL

Back to top Go down

Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible - Page 17 Empty Directives from: The U.S. Dept. of Labor

Post  GonzoFL Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:09 pm

http://wdr.doleta.gov/directives/attach/uipl/uipl23-08c5.pdf

This is what was sent to the states on Friday Nov. 13,2009
GonzoFL
GonzoFL

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:14 am

GonzoFL wrote:http://wdr.doleta.gov/directives/attach/uipl/uipl23-08c5.pdf

This is what was sent to the states on Friday Nov. 13,2009

Thanks, Gonzo; I just finished reading this, and it seems clear to me that someone in AWI made a bureaucratic decision to switch everyone on EB over to EUC 3 as of Nov 8, and this is NOT a requirement, or even a suggestion of this directive.

I got a call from Tallahassee yesterday, apparently re-directed from a query I put in a week or so ago with DOL, and asked about this, among other questions I had. I specifically asked who was responsible for a decision that would arbitrarily cut a bunch of people off from anywhere from 1-8 weeks of EB that would be taken out of the EUC that person was entitled to, and I was told they would call me back. (The first person tried to give me a scripted answer that had nothing to do with my questions, so she finally transferred me to a manager of some kind who was able to speak with me more sanely.)

From this directive my understanding is that the state may give you EB OR EUC3 when your Tier 2 is exhausted; they are not obligated to give you both, and in fact that would not be possible before the deadline for both programs is up. But switching people over to EUC as of Nov 8, before their (as in your case) EB is exhausted is simply cutting short the available weeks prematurely for seemingly no reason. I can even understand switching someone to EUC if their EB would exhaust after Dec 31, in which case they would get no Tier 3 (until Congress acts), but why switch everybody on Nov 8???

I got a message back yesterday to call them, but got home too late to call. I will try to call them back today to see what they say. I had clearly asked her for the NAME of the person making this decision, pitchfork in hand. Evil or Very Mad
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  GonzoFL Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:41 am

Thanks Nancy for the update. I never get a warm and fuzzy feeling when AWI decides to take matters into their own hands(flashbacks to the EB/job search requirement farce) Keep the tines on that pitchfork sharp Nancy and remember,you can get farther with a pitchfork and a kind work than you can a kind word! lol!
GonzoFL
GonzoFL

Back to top Go down

Post  grandmom49 Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:09 am

Well, I got no response from Sen Nelson's office to my email, so I called his Washington office late in the day and was basically told that his responsibility ended when the bill was passed. I am going to contact my state senator later on this morning (after I try to claim wks ending 11/07 & 11/14) I will let you know if I reach anyone with information or willing to get information for us.

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

Post  grandmom49 Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:06 pm

I don't know if my situation is unique but I just claimed for wks ending 11/07 & 11/14. I had to certify that I wished to process the claim & enter work search info for 11/07 but not for 11/14. The week ending 11/14 processed after entering answers to the standard 4 questions about being available, looking, not refusing any work and not earning any wages. So it appears that I have been transitioned to EUC3 and will not be paid EB benefits for the last portion of my remaining EB balance. I have a virtual job fair in a little while and will contact State Senator Dwayne Taylor when that is over.

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

Post  grandmom49 Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:57 pm

A friend just called and told me the application for anyone whose benefits ended prior to 11/07/2009 is now on fluidnow.com

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next