Unemployed Florida

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unemployed Florida
Unemployed Florida
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Assistance with gas vouchers?

3 posters

Go down

Assistance with gas vouchers? Empty Assistance with gas vouchers?

Post  kimmie10412 Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:12 pm

I am new here, so please bear with me.. I was directed to this site, as I am currently unemployed, receive assistance for some food and utilities, and am actively seeking employment. The issue I am inquiring about is regarding any assistance available for gas vouchers? I was told by an operator at #211 that I had to reside in a particular city (Venice, Florida) for an organization to help with gas. I am traveling to interviews, gratefully so, however, have no means to pay for the gas! If anyone can provide any insight at all I would be most appreciative. Thank you!

kimmie10412

Back to top Go down

Assistance with gas vouchers? Empty Re: Assistance with gas vouchers?

Post  nancym Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:38 pm

kimmie10412 wrote: I am new here, so please bear with me.. I was directed to this site, as I am currently unemployed, receive assistance for some food and utilities, and am actively seeking employment. The issue I am inquiring about is regarding any assistance available for gas vouchers? I was told by an operator at #211 that I had to reside in a particular city (Venice, Florida) for an organization to help with gas. I am traveling to interviews, gratefully so, however, have no means to pay for the gas! If anyone can provide any insight at all I would be most appreciative. Thank you!

Kimmie, welcome to the site. I may not be much help about this, but we have very few posters on this site since the legislation efforts and chronic problems with AWI have somewhat died down this past year, and I think far fewer people know about this site.

But I'll just say that the only thing I know about gas cards is that they are given out as part of the benefit of a program called WIA, which some state Workforce centers run as part of a federally-funded, state-run program to retrain those who qualify. I am just now finishing my own WIA program in which I went back to school at Broward College to update my skills in multimedia. The grant pays for tuition and books, no cost of living. But they do provide gas cards if needed to those in the program while going to school and I think for job hunting after school as well, if needed.

Whether there are other programs for which they provide gas cards, I don't know. But you should call your local state employment office (not the same as the unemployment offices, though anyone unemployed can use their facilities to apply for UI benefits or look for jobs on their computers, etc.) The offices here in Broward County also have lots of useful workshops on resume writing (more informative than you might think, includes internet resumes, etc.), networking, classes in basic office software, etc. Check this website to find your local office by zipcode if you're not familiar with it already:
https://www.employflorida.com/vosnet/ContactUs.aspx?tab=1
(These offices go by different names, but they are all labeled "one stop centers" by the state.)
Just ask them if they can give you any info about any programs that offer help with gas.

Also, sometimes you can find charity organizations that can help. For example, I volunteer for a soup kitchen and social services place here in Broward where they sometimes offer vouchers for various things like money for getting a Florida ID, help with getting birth certificates, etc. You could check around if any of them can provide any help at all with gas.

Good luck to you.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Assistance with gas vouchers? Empty Assistance with gas vouchers

Post  charlie12 Sun May 06, 2012 11:08 pm

I know you can obtain gasoline voucher at the Daytona Beach One Stop Career Center in Volusia County. You have to go there in person to a job counselor to obtain a voucher. They require you are active on Employ Florida Marketplace website. I think the maximum for one time is $30.00.

charlie12

Back to top Go down

Assistance with gas vouchers? Empty Re: Assistance with gas vouchers?

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down