Unemployed Florida

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unemployed Florida
Unemployed Florida
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New bill to outlaw employment credit checks!

+3
GonzoFL
help
nancym
7 posters

Go down

New bill to outlaw employment credit checks! Empty New bill to outlaw employment credit checks!

Post  nancym Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:05 pm

I was encouraged to learn of a brand new bill in the House, offered by Rep. Cohen of Tennessee, the Equal Employment for All Act, HR 3149.

Got less than great credit and think you may have been turned down for a job because of it? This bill's for you--go to Open Congress and vote it up and/or comment on it, and of course, call your Congressman!:

http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h3149/show

The New York Times ran an article on this aspect of unemployment that was really shocking in the mindless attitudes it exposed in HR depts:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/07/business/07credit.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&sq=juan%20ochoa&st=cse&scp=1

They closed the comments after 251 people commented on it, I'd say 99% of them were outraged about it. And one person linked to an article about this new bill to hopefully stop this practice once and for all:

http://cohen.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=914&Itemid=25

The bill has a bunch of supporters, including lots of organizations, NELP among them. I'm sure hoping this will pass. They don't have to spend any money on it! The opposition would probably come from those in Congress who are paid off by the credit agencies.

Other than possibly jobs that require handling cash directly, the present HR practices make no sense, and I've long maintained that they're unconsitutional. As I posted on HR 3149, I'm sure Bernie Madoff's credit rating was great!
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

New bill to outlaw employment credit checks! Empty Re: New bill to outlaw employment credit checks!

Post  help Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:39 pm

This will definately be of interest to everyone on unemployment. This bill will help all against companies that show no compassion. Twisted Evil

help

Back to top Go down

New bill to outlaw employment credit checks! Empty HR 3149

Post  GonzoFL Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:23 pm

I am 110% in favor of this bill. This economic chaos has cost countless Americans their credit rating. I ran across this little snippet of information the other day and thought some of you might like to read it. I find the article pure bullshit to the 10th power. Pay particular attention to Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's rational....it's no wonder California is "circling the bowl". HR3149 embraces the use of credit checks where they are TRULY applicable.

http://university.employeescreen.com/legislation/HR3149_Bans_Credit_Reports
GonzoFL
GonzoFL

Back to top Go down

New bill to outlaw employment credit checks! Empty Re: New bill to outlaw employment credit checks!

Post  Robbi314 Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:13 pm

I'm glad to see this, FINALLY! My question is, why did it take so long? It's absolutely discrimination. Now maybe the next smart move will be to start cracking down on the freaking fees these banks and corporations charge. The banks are going to town making billions off the less fortunate in NSF fees alone. It is completely out of hand. Some of the stories I have heard! OMG!!They even charge a fee when you pay a bill to process it!!! I have to pay you to take my money??? WTF???

Robbi314

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:55 pm

GonzoFL wrote:...I ran across this little snippet of information the other day and thought some of you might like to read it. I find the article pure bullshit to the 10th power. Pay particular attention to Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's rational....it's no wonder California is "circling the bowl". HR3149 embraces the use of credit checks where they are TRULY applicable.

http://university.employeescreen.com/legislation/HR3149_Bans_Credit_Reports

I just read this tidbit you posted--what a CROCK! I have to admit, I don't always find Arnold to be totally off-base on all issues (for a Republican), but on this one he seems to have gone into auto-play, supposedly to help his constituent businesses.

"The bill would become a new employer obstacle to the use of available information needed to make hiring decisions" --DUH! That's the whole point; the process is unnecessary and bogus to begin with, so we should keep doing something that doesn't make sense just because the country has swallowed this insult for so long?

The only checks they need are work history and criminal record checks. But those take longer for lazy HR people to do, so they fall back on credit checks as some kind of mindless first layer of elimination.

(Burn)
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

New bill to outlaw employment credit checks! Empty credit reporting

Post  jim stratton Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:28 pm

Hi Guys,

I'm writing about this issue and would love to talk to any Floridians who've either not gotten a job because their credit rating took a hit or who are worried about this becoming an issue when they try to re-enter the workforce. You can reach me at the number below.

Thanks,
Jim Stratton
Orlando Sentinel
407-420-5379
jstratton@orlandosentinel.com

jim stratton

Back to top Go down

New bill to outlaw employment credit checks! Empty HR 3149

Post  abanikko Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:05 pm

WHat is the current status of this bill? Anyone know?

abanikko

Back to top Go down

New bill to outlaw employment credit checks! Empty Re: HR3149

Post  nancym Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:49 pm

abanikko wrote:WHat is the current status of this bill? Anyone know?

This bill from the 111th Congress was never allowed out of committee in the Republican-controlled House, in spite of having 56 co-sponsors and broad support from a number of national organizations. See the bill's page on Open Congress for details:
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h3149/show
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

New bill to outlaw employment credit checks! Empty How many people dont get hired because of bad credit?

Post  sc4ram Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:08 pm

sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down