Unemployed Florida

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unemployed Florida
Unemployed Florida
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Death, and then rebirth, of a website

4 posters

Go down

Death, and then rebirth, of a website Empty Death, and then rebirth, of a website

Post  nancym Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:08 pm

Anyone who followed the fast-rising new in-your-face style website GiveUsOurMoney.org, note that it is now deleted! A few passionate souls who started the ball rolling apparently burnt out far to quickly at 1100 members in just about two or three weeks, leaving the group there pretty upset at the sudden and unannounced demise.

But a few there with a more measured approach to organizing a forum managed to set up a new forum with some of the old members to start up early this morning. This may be even better than the old site, since hopefully it won't be based on the owner's emotional turmoil quite so much (not that we're not all in turmoil over all this).

Not to take anything at all away from this Florida site (I've invited Floridians here from that site and from others), but if you want to visit or join this new and improved site for a nationwide-based conversation, check it out here:

http://unemployedstatesofamerica.webs.com/

Or if you already were a member of the old site, sign in with your old password and you will be invited to join the new version.

You can also still link to the old forum if you need to by going here instead of the old domain name home page (which will show either nothing or the delete message), this one gets you into the old forums and your old profile:
http://giveusourmoney.webs.com/apps/forums/ I would imagine this will disappear at some point when the connecting account expires or whatever.

Also, the original guys who had the site split off and did create a new forum where some of the others also joined in (this is hilarious!), but the format on their new site is not as good as the original one, IMO.

At http://unemployedstatesofamerica.webs.com/ the format is the same as the original one, very functional, and hopefully the momentum will keep going. The mission now is not just benefits, but looking at the elections in November.

nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Death, and then rebirth, of a website Empty new website

Post  Tampa Bay - Anna Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:08 pm

I am not surprised that NancyM got this info out super fast! LOL! Always on top of the latest news Smile

Just to second NancyM's opinion: it's a great way to join with others nation-wide and hopefully make an impact now and in November.

On a recent Rachel Maddow show, the guest host & a reporter from the Washington Independent (going from memory, so excuse any inaccuracies) talked about the Unemployed as a new political group. This is a new political dynamic since usually it's a much smaller & always changing group. Now the Unemployed consist of a much larger, stable membership (although it is a club we all want to leave, lol). What the reporter was pointing out is that we, the Unemployed, are now a new political force that (if organized) will need to be reckoned with come November. They discussed how Karl Rove wooed the approx 2 million Christian Evangelicals to get Bush elected. Just the 99ers are twice that. All current unemployed/ underemployed are probably 10 times that. Add in family & friends of the unemployed and that number skyrockets.

We have an opportunity here. We can take our frustration, despair, anger, etc... and transform it into a force for change. If a Republican candidate calls us lazy or spoiled, let's make sure they don't get elected/ relected. Let's teach those small-minded politicians a lesson. You call us lazy? We'll show you how hard we will work by kicking your ass in the election. A Democrat that doesn't want to tackle this issue? We'll call/ email/ fax everyday until this issue is your priority Smile

All we need: internet + willpower/ effort + unity

Tampa Bay - Anna
Tampa Bay - Anna

Back to top Go down

Death, and then rebirth, of a website Empty Re: Death, and then rebirth, of a website

Post  sc4ram Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:36 pm

Anna, is this a Democratic party endorsement here? Please keep in mind that as of today the Dems already run the Congress with large majorities, they had a 60 vote super majority in the Senate until January (59 now), and are still passing major pieces of legislation when focused. (the recent Fin-Reg legislation is a example). They passed the last EUC extension when they finally stripped the bill down to something that resembled a EUC extension. I think they are the problem here, not some boogie man vision of the minority party that has stated repeatedly that they would support EUC if it used already appropriated funds (odd that the majority party cant call their bluff on this) . ( Not to mention the Dems control the executive branch as well.) Something is wrong here, given the recent polling , if all of the unemployed did come out to vote I dont think it would overcome the voter outrage (as of today) in reaction to how our government has been run. The political problem might possibly be the Majority has been too effective, stiring up a potentional backlash from the voters..........
sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Death, and then rebirth, of a website Empty Re: Death, and then rebirth, of a website

Post  nancym Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:13 pm

sc4ram wrote:Anna, is this a Democratic party endorsement here? Please keep in mind that as of today the Dems already run the Congress with large majorities, they had a 60 vote super majority in the Senate until January (59 now), and are still passing major pieces of legislation when focused. (the recent Fin-Reg legislation is a example). They passed the last EUC extension when they finally stripped the bill down to something that resembled a EUC extension. I think they are the problem here, not some boogie man vision of the minority party that has stated repeatedly that they would support EUC if it used already appropriated funds (odd that the majority party cant call their bluff on this) . ( Not to mention the Dems control the executive branch as well.) Something is wrong here, given the recent polling , if all of the unemployed did come out to vote I dont think it would overcome the voter outrage (as of today) in reaction to how our government has been run. The political problem might possibly be the Majority has been too effective, stiring up a potentional backlash from the voters..........

sc4ram--

I think you underestimate the power of the sheer numbers. The unemployed may not be organized--yet--but neither is the Tea Party, not really. And the Dems will probably call the Repubs bluff on that bit about using other funds--right when the Repubs start talking about reinstating the enormous tax cuts for those making over $250K without demanding a similar offset of any kind. If you remember I think you and I agree that offset funds should not have been taken off the table; if it's truly an emergency, than all options should have been open, though I do understand the other side of the argument (but only with a small nod).

But beyond that, that site is not an official arm of the Dem party, not by any means. Note that TampaBay Anna pointed out at the end of her post that "A Democrat that doesn't want to tackle this issue? We'll call/ email/ fax everyday until this issue is your priority." I may not vote for my own Dem House rep, haven't decided yet!

The unemployedstates site is not a party site, but an issues site, big difference. There are people there who will kick out Dems if they don't perform, and probably some who will vote out incumbents in the primary or vote for independents. Most there so far seem to be on the progressive left, but some are more nuanced about their politics.

This is not about "my party right or wrong" this is about "my party if they're right, if not, kick them out!" In essence, that's what the DFA movement was all about and continues to be about.

Don't visit the other site if you think you'd feel unwelcome there, just don't underestimate what might happen when some people who formerly were productive workers their whole lives decide to do something constructive about this current situation. Not everyone there will agree about all issues, but they sure agree about the need for JOBS!
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  sc4ram Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:34 pm

Nancy dear-

nobody disagrees on the need for jobs , on the contrary thats the problem, all the king's horses and men and stimulus and bail outs hasnt produced the jobs. (thats what is over hanging this election cycle as well as the debt/spending). If you boil Anna's post down it says to throw out the minority and send faxes to the majority (i could make a argument for the opposite). Which is why i felt compelled to post. When ever I was in charge of something, if it ran off the track I couldnt blame it on the guy in the next department.

The Dems should call the bluff of the Repubs on funded extensions. (it would put the Repubs in a hell of a box because their core voters overwelmingly oppose more extensions) but the Dems havent done it (they seem satisfied to use the opposition's legitimate fiscal concerns as a club to beat them with, rather than get a bill) . If you saw the Huff post i pasted to another thread , one person said Sen Schumer (D-NY) was "too tired" to pursue a Tier V this session. (he better stock up on the No-Dooz) if he wants to keep his party in power.

The taxes are a whole other ball game. If nothing is done taxes will go up (thats a tax increase and several Dem politicians will pay dearly if they facilitate that) . Even the Prez's own economic advisors (ie Christina Romer) agree that increased taxes will further weaken the economy. I dont believe not raising taxes is a zero sum gain. First of all its our money to begin with (not theirs) . And there is economic analysis (inc the laffer curve) that shows that Fed revenues increase with lower rates. I think keeping taxes low is a election winner for the people that advocate it (that is why several prominent Dems have advocated not raising taxes next year. )

Thats part of the problem with economy right now, while the Prez is out there threatening to raise taxes, that and Health Care Reform, Fin -Reg reform etc (in the guise of "we have to pass it to find out whats in it") is creating a lot of uncertainty in the economy, and despite good financial performance in a lot of companies, few of them are hiring. .

This will have to change in the long term otherwise we will simply be on this board grubbing for unemployment extensions for the duration and the whole country will be unhappy.

Have a good weekend.

sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:36 pm

sc4ram dear---

Yes, we agree they should have called the Repubs bluff, but you just said it--"their core voters overwelmingly oppose more extensions." They (Republicans as a whole, not necessarily all individuals) do oppose extensions. And not just only without offsets; many of them have made that very clear. They oppose jobs bills. They opposed any kind of stimulus package. They are the party that has this past year stamped on their foreheads that they do not respect anyone getting benefits, literally calling them (us) drug addicts, lazy, lacking incentive, etc., etc., completely ignoring the facts and science (actual recent research) to the contrary (so what else is new, they are ignoring the science), and digging their heels in about unemployment benefits when they are promoting tax cuts to continue for the rich. No, I am not happy with a lot of Dems either, even my own Congressman. But would I want a House or Senate full of more Republicans of the ilk we've seen this year? Give me a break. We do need new blood; it's going to be a combination, a few more independents no doubt, but it will not be the likes of people who insult Americans who have built this country that these Congressmen live so lavishly in.

And speaking of tax cuts, it is completely disingenuous for Republicans to hang their hats on tax cuts when what they are going for is tax cuts for the rich, while the tax cut provided by the stimulus package provided the broadest tax cut for the middle class in a long time. I just did my 2009 taxes; if it hadn't been for several provisions in that revised code, I would have had to pay hundreds of dollars more. And yet I see these tv ads with Obama's picture and "he raised our taxes" next to it. Bullcrap.

It's also disingenuous for them to keep referring to "no more taxes" as if it were the same for all. I watched one of the hearings on CSPAN the other day for the deficit reduction committees; and the analysts there were reporting that our tax code was completely out of date and inappropriate for a global modern economy and actually regressive, not progressive, something I've been saying for years!

Check out what our friend Jim was saying about taxes recently: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_local_blogonomics/2010/05/report-u-s-tax-burden-at-50-year-low.html

and the associated link: http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/news_local_blogonomics/2010/05/report-u-s-tax-burden-at-50-year-low.html
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  sc4ram Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:43 pm

Well Nancy, I think you over stated a few things. Most of the core (base) Repub voters may oppose more EUC (and i dont entirely begrudge them for that) , if I put myself in their shoes and I was working in a downsized company with a increased work-load and being told that my taxes are going up and then I find out out that the max benefits of 99 weeks have been paid to some people (which is a record in the history of the program) I might feel a bit disgruntled. (NOT that they would want somebody to starve, but perhaps move in with their mother-in-law ). However this is NOT the stated position of the Repub leadership in Congress , their position is "pay for it and we'll vote for it" . [btw its irrelevent what the repubs position is, they DONT run the Congress] But if the Dems really want a bill ( i dont think they do) they should call them on it. I think also since they are about to do their town hall mtgs during recess, they dont want to hear their constituents gripe about the cost of 100+ weeks of EUC .

I dont know of very many Repubs that have been quoted as saying EUC beneficiaries are lazy or are drug addicts. (Im sure the media has found a few) . But saying this is the position of the leadership in Congress is like my quoting some waco thing that Dennis Kuchinich or Maxine Waters said and saying its the position of the Majority in Congress. (it would be absurd)

Lets be clear on taxes, the Bush tax cuts (on all brackets) expire next year (not just for the so called high income people) ,
Ive seen no action in the House Ways and Means committee to produce a bill that protects the lower brackets from increasing (even though that is what the Prez promised). And to make matters worse, the committee's former chairman (Rep Rangle NY who is another one of the Dem grown ups in a increasingly childish world) is under enditment by the ethics committee. There is some left-wing nut who has replaced him on the committee and there is no telling what he will do. Maj Leader Hoyer was quoted recently that he never signed up to protect the lower brackets from a increase and said it was likely the lower brackets would go up in the out years. This whole thing smells like , "lets run up the debt so we'll have a urgency to sell to the public about raising taxes". Even the upper bracket isnt as it seems. Many people (inc subcontractors that worked for my former employer) file their Sub Chapter S Corp earnings on their personal tax return, given there isnt even any legislation in the pipeline (ie uncertainty) these types of businesses are not going to be hiring any time soon.

Tax cuts have proven to stimulate growth in the past. If you think there should be higher taxes, you can always voluntarily send in more than your obligation at tax time.

Coodos to you if you found some loopholes in your taxes last year, but anything the admin is taking credit for is not a tax cut, it is for the most part a one time credit, which is nothing anybody can hang their hat on for future planning.

This is all academic, the uncertainty is just feeding itself and having detremental effects on the economy, note the lower GDP numbers yesterday.
sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:51 pm

Great stuff here Very Happy I couldnt help but LOL! when I saw "Nancy Dear" and "Sc4ram Dear" hahahah lol!
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

https://unemployed-florida.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down