Unemployed Florida

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unemployed Florida
Unemployed Florida
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Careerbuilder, Monster.com, Dice.com, etc., etc., etc.

Go down

Careerbuilder, Monster.com, Dice.com, etc., etc., etc. Empty Careerbuilder, Monster.com, Dice.com, etc., etc., etc.

Post  nancym Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:40 pm

Here are a couple of tips on strategies I've discovered about online resume postings, if you haven't discovered these already:
1)
I list my resume on as many major online services as I can, even though I'm currently in school and won't be ready for full-time work until the end of this term. (I state my school completion date on my resume, right at the top.) My favorite of late is Careerbuilder.com, for a number of reasons.

One of the great things they started is an extra tab in the "Saved Jobs" section that allows you to list jobs that are posted on sites other than their own! This is a great feature, since it allows you to keep all of your job possibilities in one place, very convenient whether your trying to keep track of how many applications you have for the week as required if you are collecting benefits as well as for those who've exhausted benefits and just want an online place to store all those bookmarks. You have to copy and paste the url and info for each outside job manually, but you can add your own notes about the job, whether you applied and when, etc.

2)
One way to instantly get attention on these online services is to change and re-save your resume every once in a while. Recruiters don't want to waste time plowing through outdated resumes, so anything recently updated apparently comes to the top of their searches. I've noticed every time I re-save or enter a new resume, I get at least a few immediate responses from recruiters or companies requesting more info from me. It doesn't even matter if you just change one letter or add a blank space to your resume, just as long as it has a new save date, the result is the same.

Within a few days I might get a few new responses, some are bogus pitches for sales job on commission or the like, but sometimes they are legitimate responses for decent jobs.

3)
My third tip applies to anyone who has big gaps in employment in recent years on their resume, and of course that applies to millions of us. In my case I am going to school to update myself on computer skills with recent software. For others it might be any kind of free online learning, volunteer work, freelance work, etc., anything that shows you have not been just sitting on the couch for the last few years. When combined with your previous experience that gives some assurance to potential employers that you have not gone completely stale on your skills even though your last full-time job may have been in 2007. I list those activities right at the top of the chronological employment section. HR departments and recruiters might read only the top few lines of your resume anyway, so you have to grab their attention from the beginning.

I'm under no illusion that these tips will produce results for everyone; my own area of job skills is seeing a bit of a resurgence that might not happen in other areas for years. But in this numbers game you have to try every strategy to get noticed among the millions of resumes sent out every day. Hope these suggestions will help somebody.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum