Unemployed Florida

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unemployed Florida
Unemployed Florida
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Resume KEYWORDS

2 posters

Go down

Resume KEYWORDS Empty Resume KEYWORDS

Post  nancym Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:14 pm

Even though it's odious to be thought of as a number, to have your 20+ years of experience on a piece of paper tossed unceremoniously into the trash can, anyone who actually thinks any employer sits there and carefully reads over everyone's resume before trashing 90% of the applications is naive in today's world. That's just the way it is.

And though it's even more distressing to have to "talk" to a piece of software that scans your resume before a human person might possibly read it, that also is just the way it is.

This used to be the case for just really big firms, but with the current job market, it's getting so most or at least many, many employers rely on this scanning technology. So I ran across this pretty informative article from Dice.com (an IT recruiting firm that's been around a long time) that gives some basic tips on using keywords in your resume. I've even seen some resumes that have a separate paragraph just for a list of keywords, like a bunch of metatags in the middle of nowhere!

http://career-resources.dice.com/articles/content/entry/resume_keywords_a_primer?cmpid=118

I've bookmarked this to follow my own advice. My own resume, so shiny and sparkling a couple years ago, needs a revamp for today's hustle. Remember, they won't interview you if they never get to read your resume first!
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Resume KEYWORDS Empty Re: Resume KEYWORDS

Post  loyalworker1234 Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:54 am

That link is no longer valid

loyalworker1234

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:14 pm

loyalworker1234 wrote:That link is no longer valid

Thanks for letting me know. I found the new link:

http://career-resources.dice.com/technical-resume/in_resumes_key_words_rule.shtml

If this isn't the exact same article, I think it's pretty close, Dice.com's advice on resume keywords.

This one's from 2007 but keywords are probably more important than ever with the big crunch since 2008. You could probably find further updates on this kind of advice with a "resume keywords" search on Google.

Last edited by nancym on Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added paragraph)
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  loyalworker1234 Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:27 am

Thanks, that's a big help.

loyalworker1234

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down