Unemployed Florida

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unemployed Florida
Unemployed Florida
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

America's Dirty Little Secret

4 posters

Go down

America's Dirty Little Secret Empty America's Dirty Little Secret

Post  GonzoFL Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:06 pm

GonzoFL
GonzoFL

Back to top Go down

America's Dirty Little Secret Empty Re: America's Dirty Little Secret

Post  nancym Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:51 pm

These kind of articles just drain the life you of you. It's like reading about the sick and starving millions in Africa, except in this case we're talking about here!

I've been preaching to anyone who would listen to me for years before this recession about the vast growing inequity between the upper 5% and the rest of the country. It's the reason I initially supported John Edwards for President and his call for attention to poverty in this country, before his hideous fall from grace. But even I am shocked to read things like this:

"And almost no one is acknowledging the sad reality that even the nation's 130 million full-time workers have had an average economic loss of 15% just since December 2007 -- an average effective work week of 34 hours rather than 40 -- which means that the number of unemployed workers, measured economically, is actually as high as 50 million."

(No wonder we can't find jobs; it's just a crap shoot.)
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  studioWI Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:44 pm

A country of Kings.

studioWI

Back to top Go down

Post  sc4ram Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:50 pm

Sorry folks-

Since I generally start the day with a optimistic tone, I usually read the posts (like the one above from the Huffington post) with a bit skepticism. There may well be people that are under-nourished out there, but they must be difficult to see. The conventional news media would make you think that just the opposite is true , that we have a obiesity epidemic out there instead. The reason for my skepticism is if I was starving right now and had no means acquire food , I can think of a half a dozen shelters, good will, and church establishments that would feed me (presuming I wasnt entoxicated or using drugs) . In Florida, if a child is starving I think that would be considered close outright child abuse, in that case DCF would be empowered to act , take the child away and feed it. (Ive seen more news exposes on starving animals than people)

Those income stats usually dont include 401K , pensions, personal investments or home equity.
Yes real estate values have declined, and the stock market is ~30% off of its all time high, but that is only a significant factor if you bought in at or near the high. If you are a worker that has been a long time homeowner or investor, the gloomy assesment doesnt apply to the vast majority of workers.

Actually prices and inflation are benign at the moment, if you are working your money is worth more, if you invested in the stock market anywhere near its low last March, you are up over 60% now.

Dont get me wrong , we all know and are mindful that people are hurting out there because of the recession, but the article gave the impression we are a country on the brink of bread lines and I dont think that is the case.
sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum