Unemployed Florida

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unemployed Florida
Unemployed Florida
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Training options for the unemployed

+3
riceckr
Tampa Bay - Anna
nancym
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Training options for the unemployed Empty Training options for the unemployed

Post  nancym Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:03 pm

Since we all know we have to do unusual things to get a job unless we are naive enough to think that employers are looking at every resume that shows up on their desks, please use this thread to post any sources for training, free classes, internships, stimulus funds programs for training, apprenticeships, or employment, or other stuff like that.

Last edited by nancym on Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:02 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : post moved to training thread)
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Training options for the unemployed Empty Manpower in Broward and Palm Beach - training

Post  nancym Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:07 pm

Anyone in northern Broward of Palm Beach counties? This ad was in Monster from Manpower--a stimulus funded program for courses they provide for free for the unemployed:

http://jobview.monster.com/getjob.aspx?JobID=82940565

Sometimes even taking one course can get you job leads.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Training options for the unemployed Empty AARP training and jobs program

Post  nancym Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:09 pm

For those of us here who are oldies (over 40, HA_HA!), I ran across this AARP series of sites about their teaming up with business to offer both training and employment opportunities.

This page will link you to the basic employment help program, their Training and Assistance Program (TAP) for those over 40, and their Senior Community Service Employment Program (SCSEP) for those over 55, and a long list of phone numbers.

http://www.aarpworksearch.org/pages/default.aspx

I just found this, so I don't know all the qualifications or offerings, or how it might hook up with unemployment benefits or not. But some of this could be interesting, especially since these are for 12-wk certificates, and not all are just basics. Or maybe the SCSEP if old enough and want some kind of community or intern-type work.

The training is all or mainly online I think, and a lot of different subjects. They have a few IT certificates that interest me personally, if I can garner enough cash somehow to stay in Florida for those 12 weeks!

Follow-up:
I've been researching these AARP programs and it's been a bit frustrating. The TAP program doesn't seem to be funded anymore; I'm waiting for confirmation on this, will post if I find out more.

As for the WorkSearch and SCSEP programs, those are still there, but are for over 50 (55?) and pay min wage for 18 hrs per week doing stuff for local non-profits. This is may be a good program for some seniors, but if you are currently getting benefits, the $500 per month they would pay would disqualify you for benefits! The idea is to try to connect seniors with some kind of extra income or possible feet in the door for local companies. Good idea, but if you're still on benefits and looking for higher-level training courses, this won't do much for you.

Last edited by nancym on Thu Sep 10, 2009 5:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info)
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Training options for the unemployed Empty Education/ Training

Post  Tampa Bay - Anna Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:41 am

Just wanted to ask if anyone has any information about maintaining UC while enrolled in college or professional training?
My unemployed friends in GA are being told they can continue to receive their UC if they enroll, but I can't find anything that suggests this is offered in FL.
Any information would be appreciated Smile Thanks!
Tampa Bay - Anna
Tampa Bay - Anna

Back to top Go down

Training options for the unemployed Empty Re: Training options for the unemployed

Post  nancym Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:11 pm

Tampa Bay - Anna wrote:Just wanted to ask if anyone has any information about maintaining UC while enrolled in college or professional training?
My unemployed friends in GA are being told they can continue to receive their UC if they enroll, but I can't find anything that suggests this is offered in FL.
Any information would be appreciated Smile Thanks!

I also have friends taking classes while on UI, and one is in Florida! I've been trying to get info on this for a while and it's been a little frustrating. Again, the agencies are probably overwhelmed. I have been playing phone tag with my local rep who handles that now for some weeks.

Theoretically there should be "WIA" programs available that allow classes while getting benefits. I think, but I'm not sure, that those programs got new funding with the stimulus package, so it may have taken some time to get them implemented.

What the rules are exactly (and they may vary in different states) I am still trying to find out.

Your best bet is to try to call yourself to your local Workforce1 office--that's not AWI, but your local "one stop" employment office. Those are listed from links from the main AWI page or the Workforce site where you look for jobs listed by the state employment agency. Call and ask for someone who can help you with training opportunities.

Last edited by nancym on Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : posts moved)
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Training options for the unemployed Empty Follow-up on WIA and other online options

Post  nancym Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:35 pm

I spent HOURS this week trying to get info on Florida's WIA training options and other possibilities. (I think WIA stands for Work Force Innovation Act, or something along those lines, can't remember exactly.)

Results: some positive, some frustrating

1) YES, you CAN take classes while collecting unemployment benefits.

2) NO, they will not pay for online classes. (But since online can theoretically be taken at night, there is no prohibition inherent in getting benefits and being available for work while taking night classes, and no need to even mention this to AWI. Of course that assumes that you have flexible online classes, not something that would interfere with a possible job interview, or a meeting with AWI or Workforce1. (#2 is all my own conclusion, nothing official from AWI.)

3) YES, there is money for tuition, up to $6000, but your program (certain fields) and the school has to qualify for you to get the grant money.

4) YES, you can have a degree already and still qualify.

4) And YES, of course, this process takes TIME, which many of us don't have. I'm sure this varies by area. You have to call your local Workforce1 office to get an appointment for orientation. In my case it was hard to get in contact, but when I was finally able to talk to someone about this yesterday, I was told the process at the Davie office would run into almost as long as our possible upcoming extension just to get to the starting point where I could take classes!! (first schedule and wait for the 4-hr orientation , then schedule and wait 3-8 weeks for an appt with a case manager that guides you through the process, then it's about 4 weeks more to be approved and register for classes--at which point who knows what stage of a semester you might be in!)

So for someone planning ahead, this might be a GREAT option, if you aren't completely dependent on UI benefits, or if you are not at the end of those benefits, like many of us here.

For those of us dependent on the next extension, the WIA option seems a little iffy. Of course, this lengthy process might be only a few weeks at other offices--you just have to call and find out in your area.

9/14/09 Follow-up: I spoke with a friend in FL (who is now taking classes) about her experiences with WIA and she told me that she didn't have to go through as long a process as what was suggested to me here in the Hollywood area. So it depends on how far ahead the orientation and other processes are booked in your particular area. She mentioned that one thing that takes a while is a mandatory application for a Pell grant (even if you already have a degree), apparently a procedural thing, but having a degree already does not disqualify you from taking classes. She advised being persistent throughout the process to speed things along wherever possible.

Last edited by nancym on Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Training options for the unemployed Empty more online options for computer training

Post  nancym Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:49 pm

Since for me personally the WIA program is probably not practical, I continued to search for training options. In my own case I've worked in computer- and web-related fields my whole life, have an MFA, but I am blocked from being considered for countless jobs because of certain specific skills and softwares that I need to qualify. I know I can get many of those courses online, but have no funds for tuition.

I am still waiting for confirmation that there are no funds left for the AARP (over 40) TAP (Training Assistance Program), which gives 12-wk certificates in some very useful areas of not only IT, but all kinds of subject areas in some demand.

Meanwhile, I had always planned on using Lynda.com for catching up on software, but when the recession hit I no longer had the several hundred needed for fees. Then yesterday I went to that site (I had even interviewed for a producer's job there at one time) and DUH!--I had completely forgotten that Lynda.com has an option for monthly membership that is only $25.

So obviously for me that is a good option. I can't even really spare the $25, but I'll squeeze it out somehow, since I do get occasional web work, and what I'd learn there would probably save me 10x that much in terms of time saved.

I know not everyone here is in IT or computer work, but if you are and can spare the $25 per month, consider www.lynda.com. They've been around for decades and are well-known in the field for training. All their courses are online or DVD and video, step-by-step instruction. Of course, you have to already have the software!)

The $25 per month option does not give you access to their sample files, but I think for me and the courses I want those would not have to be critical. (A few hundred buys you the courses with the sample files.)

9/14/09 Follow-up on TAP: I got a call back from someone from the AARP Foundation, who told me that there was still a program for TAP, the Training Assistance Program, and the contact number in Hollywood. Apparently the people who deal with these programs are in some kind of program themselves and only work til 2pm here! So I have to call back tomorrow before 2. I'll post here when I can get further info.
9/21/09 Follow-up: I did speak with some people, but now I am waiting for all of them to call me back!

Last edited by nancym on Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : follow-up)
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Training options for the unemployed Empty article on re-training

Post  nancym Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:14 am

Interesting article on msnbc.com about "Retraining Roulette":

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32916108/ns/us_news-the_elkhart_project#sp-tx/page-2

The article is not ALL negative, but points out that people need to take a good hard look before jumping into training or education at this point.

Personally, the way I see it is jumping into a possibly costly long re-training track thinking you will instantly get a big new job on graduation is more risky than credit default swaps at this point. Unless you have unlimited funds, I think we all need to take a good hard look at what our own personal skills are that might transfer into one of those 1 in 6 chances we have of getting any kind of job.

Someone with no IT training, for example, who takes a few months of IT courses I can't really see as competitive in many areas of IT. BUT, that training might give them an ever so slight edge on a totally unrelated job in which good computer skills are considered a plus. And we can't just throw out our own personal preferences just to try for a job that is considered a "growing field" (healthcare, education, and IT being among the top), just because the DOL advises that statistics show those as the best bets. (By the time we get out of a training program the market might be flooded with those same graduates on top of those already in those fields--that happened to a lot of new programmers back in the 70's.)

In my case, since I already have an MFA, no one can tell me that I need "more education" without me getting pretty irritated. But on the other hand, I know from my own experience with all these job ads that there are particular skills that, if updated, I would be a possible contender for many jobs that I would never be considered for with my present resume. Some of those I can get online for little cost, others require more guided instruction.

So for those of us who just need that "extra few credits" or the GED, or that special certification, this is the time to do it, if we can possibly get through the red tape and manage enough on whatever benefits and other help we can get.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Training options for the unemployed Empty Good Will online classes

Post  nancym Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:27 pm

There are numerous online sources for computer basics, some good, some not so good, and only some are free. What might surprise some is that Goodwill.org is now one of those sources.

They offer a number of courses that are "basic" but some are a small notch above that. So if you never learned Access, or Excel, or Powerpoint or Publisher and some others that would make you resume just that little bit closer to being considered, check out this link:

http://www.gcflearnfree.org/computer/

Goodwill advertises on their main pages that more elaborate online training plans are in the works, so even if you don't need any of their current courses, check back there later on to see what develops.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Training options for the unemployed Empty Re: Training options for the unemployed

Post  riceckr Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:29 pm

Just to let you know I did receive a letter today from AWI explaining that we would be eligible for pell grats ( for undergrads) and perkins loans. they provided me with a letter that is good for the next 90 days confirming that I am unemployed. Apparently I am to take this to my selected University for retraining.

What is great about this is that I have been in school since I lost my job. Currently a senior in Environmental Engineering. I will take this letter to my financial aid office and see what they have to say, maybe I will continue to get UI while I am in school, or is it only for selected fields? I will let you all know what happens.

riceckr

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:01 am

riceckr wrote:Just to let you know I did receive a letter today from AWI explaining that we would be eligible for pell grats ( for undergrads) and perkins loans. they provided me with a letter that is good for the next 90 days confirming that I am unemployed. Apparently I am to take this to my selected University for retraining.

What is great about this is that I have been in school since I lost my job. Currently a senior in Environmental Engineering. I will take this letter to my financial aid office and see what they have to say, maybe I will continue to get UI while I am in school, or is it only for selected fields? I will let you all know what happens.

Hey, that's great riceckr! I believe it is for selected fields, but the impression I have is that it's a much broader selection than in previous programs. And somehow I would guess that Environmental Engineering would be on that list! Let us know how you get on and good luck. Very Happy
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Training options for the unemployed Empty THERE IS NO TRAINING FROM UNEMPLOYMENT

Post  Sheila Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:14 pm

Hi there,

Well, I went to my counseling session at unemployment. Well, as usual, a waste of time. The woman was very, very nice, I don't have a problem with her at all. Turns out they don't have any work training classes and do not have a way to help you if you go to school.

Basically, they will help you go to school, but not really. They want you to check out fafsa and pell grants first, and then, and, now here's the kicker, You HAVE TO HAVE A JOB!!!!!

They are liars. There is NO training for the unemployed.

Now, I know I can go to school if I have a job, I don't need unemployment to tell me that. I thought the point of training was to get a job. These people want me to work full time and then go to school until 10pm everyday. She wants me to try to enroll in school by January. I reminded her that I DON'T have a job. How is this helping???? It is not. Sorry, but I was very disappointed. The woman even gave me tips on how to job hunt. Gee, I've been doing it for 2 years now. Oh well, back to the drawing board.....

Sheila

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:23 am

Sheila wrote:Hi there,

Well, I went to my counseling session at unemployment. Well, as usual, a waste of time. The woman was very, very nice, I don't have a problem with her at all. Turns out they don't have any work training classes and do not have a way to help you if you go to school.

Basically, they will help you go to school, but not really. They want you to check out fafsa and pell grants first, and then, and, now here's the kicker, You HAVE TO HAVE A JOB!!!!!

They are liars. There is NO training for the unemployed.

Something wrong there. Some of these "counsellors" are woefully uninformed about programs that are available. Those that have made it through the ridiculous red tape are using those programs WHILE ON BENEFITS, with NO JOB, and going to school.

Sheila, what county are you in and exactly what agency did you go to for this appt. Half the time one department doesn't know anything about the other department.

The program that is providing help with schooling while on unemployment is "WIA"--it's been around a long time, but got more funding and a broader selection of options for people getting classes and the types of programs they can take. Did they say they just didn't have anything in the field you wanted? (Didn't sound like that from what you wrote.)

It is true that it takes a while to get all the paperwork done, and it is true that you have to go through the formality of applying for a Pell grant, just to make sure you can't get more from that, but even if rejected that doesn't matter.

I was looking into the TAP program (see earlier posts) and was getting pretty frustrated about not getting info, when finally a manager called me about the WIA program, which I knew about, but still wanted more information. (In my case I won't be able to stick around long enough if this extension doesn't go through, so I am waiting for that, plus I may take some other non-credit online stuff that I need.) But if you tell me where you are, I'll see if this guy knows anything about whether it is different in your area. (I can't imagine why!)
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheila Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:04 am

I live in Ocala in Marion County. I went through workforce connections, the only unemployment office we have. They don't have ANY training. Pell grants don't mean anything, if you don't have income coming to support yourself.

All the counselor did was basically tell me how to apply for financial aid for school. So? I could do that on my own. I qualified for financial aid for school even when I was working. They will not extend your benefits so you can go to school, you have to have a job. They also do not want you to go to school in the daytime. The shortest courses at our schools is about 43 weeks. This is not a help. At my age, I also cannot work until 5pm, go to school until 10pm and then study and do homework. I also have a child I need to see sometimes.

This is NOT training, and it certainly isn't any kind of help.

The problem is, you have to HAVE a job...we know this, this is why we are on unemployment!!! If we had jobs, we wouldn't need training!!!!!

Sheila

Back to top Go down

Post  riceckr Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:06 pm

5th call made to my one stop in St. Pete left a message each time. No calls back since Monday, they are either A extremely busy or B extremely worthless.

riceckr

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:23 pm

[quote="Sheila"]..They don't have ANY training. Pell grants don't mean anything, if you don't have income coming to support yourself.
...quote]

There's still something wrong there in what they're telling you. I just got a form letter about new training available from my local workforce1 office, new funds that came in thru ARRA. I'll follow up and see what further info I can find out, but as I said, I actually have a close friend who is doing this--going to school while on unemployment, and she doesn't have to do a work search and she doesn't have to go at night, as far as I know (I'll check that, but I'm pretty sure.)

However, I think I can clear up just one aspect of this--even though they offer training that does not interfere with UI benefits, they do not offer to EXTEND those benefits. I.e., if you have the benefits coming in and can plan your course of study around that time or even overlapping it, and if you can survive on UI benefits while in school, you can do it.

My friend who's in school now was just laid off in Nov '08, and she applied for a WIA program early last spring, started this fall. So she has plenty of UI weeks left for quite a few months of school, and I think she's getting very small jobs on occasion to supplement, or else stretch out her benefits I assume.

So if you are already completely out of benefits, no, they are not going to grant you more to go to school. But when this new bill passes, it will probably mean 20 weeks more, enough time for some certificates, or if you can cobble together UI checks with a Pell grant or even a little work-study job, you might be able to get into some kind of regular semester program. Lots of places offer accelerated programs now as well, often completing a 16 wk program in 12 weeks.

You have to be persistent with these people; ask them what they have in the WIA program, and if you get someone like the person you talked to--ask for someone else!
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheila Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:26 pm

Thanks for the info Nancy. The problem with Ocala is they don't have any training programs and just about all the college courses are 43 weeks or longer. You have to go to college here. You NEVER know if you are getting extensions etc...until you actually do. They also do NOT tell anyone here about any of this. They do not offer any information whatsoever, in fact, they expect you to find out info and bring it to them. I didn't know any of this until a few weeks ago.

I was told I had to get a job and go to school at night. Period.

I will check some more on the AWI website and see what I can find out. I know locally, you can't do anything.

Sheila

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:40 pm

Sheila wrote:...The problem with Ocala is they don't have any training programs and just about all the college courses are 43 weeks or longer. You have to go to college here. ...I will check some more on the AWI website and see what I can find out. I know locally, you can't do anything.

Sheila, just curious, what kind of program of study are you wanting to take. Do you have a specific goal right now? (Other than being employed, of course!)
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Training options for the unemployed Empty Training programs

Post  Sheila Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:12 pm

I want to get into the medical field but that has nothing to do with it at all. The unemployment office has told us they have training programs. That is a ball-faced LIE. They do NOT have ANY training programs whatsoever. They do not tell you of ANY training programs they have, (Because they don't have any). Field of choice has nothing to do with this whatsoever. Going to College is NOT a training program. ANYONE who is employed can go to college. The unemployment office does not offer any help except to allow you to stay on it IF you go into a field they APPROVE of WHEN you GO TO COLLEGE. YOU SHOULDN"T HAVE TO DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH EITHER!!!! The unemployment office should give you a list of what they do approve and DO NOT approve.

They need to be honest with people and tell them that they DO NOT OFFER any training programs. They should also tell people about this little tidbit of going to pre-approved courses AT THE BEGINNING of your unemployment. THEY DO NOT. You have to hear rumours, and read about it on forums. Then go down to the office where the gate keeper, asked you what you are there for. YOU SHOULDN"T HAVE TO BE ASKED THAT!!!!!!!! They should TELL YOU what programs (NONE OF COURSE) and options they have RIGHT AWAY. THEY DO NOT.

Sheila

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:23 pm

Sheila--

Yes, I agree, the level of communication coming out of the Workforce1 offices about training is even worse than what we have to deal with from AWI about our benefits.

But I wasn't asking about what career goals you had thinking that was a factor in your difficulty in getting help or finding information. I was only asking to see if you were looking into anything related to IT or web work, which is my own area, and which I've found other, possibly easier, avenues to getting new or updated skills.

If I find out anything new leads about medical training opportunities, I'll definitely post here. Meanwhile, you may have to look outside your area, as you pointed out, if that is even a possibility for you.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Training options for the unemployed Empty Training

Post  Sheila Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:30 am

Sorry Nancy, I didn't mean to take all that out on you. I just very angry at the unemployment offices for lying to people. Even on the back of the form we have to fille out for EB it says "you may utilize the reemployment services available through your local One stop career centers" and "If you are enrolled in training under the tade act..." Neither one of those even exist!!

Anyway, no I would not like to pursue IT work. I am a graphic person and web designer. I have had to do IT work before, and it is such a thankless job. It is not something I would like to pursue further. Ocala is a terrible place to live now, but for a while I am stuck here. I want to get into the medical field because at my age I really need to start making real money and think about my future. Skilled workers in Ocala don't make much money. I mean anywhere from $8 to $12 an hour. The only real money to be had here is in medical field, or of course, if your "Daddy" owns a business. One day, when I am more mobile, I would at least be able to take my medical training with me.

Right now, my focus is any job that pays a decent wage. Survival first, dreams and goals second.

Sheila

Back to top Go down

Post  riceckr Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:30 am

A little update!

I spoke to financial aid at USF and as it turns out some of my information was input into the computer wrong. I was eligible for a pell grant this whole time and I never received one. they are sending a check to me for the max amount for this semester. i guess that letter we received was a blessing in disguise, would have never known about the incorrect information.

riceckr

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:06 am

riceckr wrote:A little update!

I spoke to financial aid at USF and as it turns out some of my information was input into the computer wrong. I was eligible for a pell grant this whole time and I never received one. they are sending a check to me for the max amount for this semester. i guess that letter we received was a blessing in disguise, would have never known about the incorrect information.

Wow! That's terrific! I guess sometimes the arc of justice bends slowly, as they say, but eventually...
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:48 pm

I just learned something I never knew about training programs. Anyone who already has a Bachelors degree generally knows that you can't get a Pell Grant for more advanced schooling beyond that degree. But apparently the one exception is if you want to get a teaching certificate. So for anyone interested in changing careers to get into teaching K-12, a Pell Grant combined with possible WIA training grant (up to $6000), and maybe a small student loan if that isn't enough to survive on, is a possible new direction for the unemployed.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4549008_get-pell-grant-masters-degree.html

http://pell-grants.org/getting-pell-grant-for-a-master%E2%80%99s-degree/
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Training options for the unemployed Empty Broward County training programs

Post  nancym Sat Nov 28, 2009 4:51 pm

If you're in Broward County (or want to move here!), here's a starting point for the WIA program that gives up to $6000 for approved programs, and this webpage includes a link to the list of currently available approved programs:

http://www.wf1broward.com/JobSeeker/MoneyForTraining.htm

Since this is a federal program and other parts of the state got funding from ARRA as well, you should be able to find similar info for your county, or else get that info via phone or your local Workforce employment center.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next