Unemployed Florida

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unemployed Florida
Unemployed Florida
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion

+40
Steve_
Garys1n2
Liz
UnemployedInFL
pyrox
UEINFL
frustratedinfl
needajob
fred
studioWI
TruthbeKnown
waybol
enrique2010
Robbi314
shartee
cantfindajob
sharonB
deetann
JJ in Florida
DisneyDean
joseph
Robyn
tj21121008
Tampa Bay - Anna
hor2culture
SaraJ
gknowles
daytonaman
Sheila
MiamiVice
Unemployed In Orlando
GonzoFL
sc4ram
Hoppy
Me From Jax
grandmom49
Jeff
connorsgp
Michael55
nancym
44 posters

Page 20 of 27 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 23 ... 27  Next

Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 20 Empty Re: New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion

Post  needajob Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:00 pm

I would like to say thank you to the mods for moving the Fax on Washington back to this thread so it will get some much needed exposure.
Peace!

needajob

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 20 Empty Turning on EB

Post  frustratedinfl Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:23 am

My last day to claim Tier 4 is May 3rd and I missed out on EB the first time around. Under the Hot Topics section on AWI's site it says something in regards to the last bill potentially extending funding for EB for eligible states and that they will continue to monitor the situation. The Florida Senate is meeting on an Unemployment Compensation Bill SB 1736 tommorrow.... doesn't anyone know what this could mean for turning on EB?

***ADMIN EDIT - Please post in established threads, moving this to the Government thread

Last edited by Unemployed In Orlando on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moved to correct thread)

frustratedinfl

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 20 Empty Re: New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion

Post  nancym Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:18 pm

Funny you should mention that frustratedinfl, I JUST spoke with our local NELP advocate up in Tallahassee about this---

FLORIDA **** IMPORTANT **** FLORIDA **** URGENT!!! **** PLEASE PASS IT ON!

[UIO, I'm deliberately triple-posting this in other threads to make it more visible right away.--nancym]

Anyone from Florida, PLEASE take action on legislation coming up in the Florida Senate tomorrow, April 21. Senator Gelber (D) is bringing up an AMENDMENT to SB 1736, a bill that would extend Extended Benefits in Florida through June 5 (or whatever that exact date is in the recent federal law).

Problem is, Congress will probably extend their 100% funding for EB further later this year, after the Florida session is over. So Sen Gelber's amendment would provide for accepting any 100% provided monies for EB that Congress subsequently enacts this year.

What this means is that anyone who did not get EB in Florida already (and possibly those whose EB was cut off last fall--I'm not sure about this part) would be able to apply for EB when their EUC benefits expire, or have already expired.

This action would do nothing for anyone who has already received the full weeks of EB last year, but it would affect thousands who would be eligible and bring a lot of money into the state.

ACTION:

Please call or email Senator Atwater, President of the Senate to tell him you support Senator Gelber's amendment to SB 1736 that allows for more months of Extended Benefits beyond the current cutoff in June if Congress votes for longer funding.

http://www.flsenate.gov/Welcome/index.cfm?CFID=201248695&CFTOKEN=48756914

Then please call your local Florida Senator to express your support as well. (You can follow the links on the left of the page if you don't know who your Florida Senator is.)

Please, everyone from Florida should be calling on this, even if it doesn't give you personally more weeks, since it will bring more help for the unemployed in this 12.3% state.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 20 Empty More Contact Needed! Senator Bill Nelson and Governor Charlie Crist MUST HEAR US!

Post  UEINFL Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:07 pm

Good Afternoon My Fellow Unemployed!

I spent the better part of this morning googling to find any news of hope in regards to the extension. Specifically for me anything regarding the amendment of the eligibility dates for EB. I have consistantly been calling and emailing Governor Charlie Crist to no avail as well as Senator Bill Nelson. On Senator Bill Nelson's site you can see the letters that have been sent to him or the topics atleast. I searched through over 100 letters sent to him and only 3 were regarding unemployment two of which were mine. Now I know that there must be more because I send Senator Nelson an email in the morning, in the afternoon and right before I start dinner for my family. It's the feeding times of my family that get me the most fired up!!! Any how, I am including below links for us to send emails to these guys. We must do this daily, multiple times, daily!!! I know everyone has their own version of how to fight the good fight but when I google and find an article like the one below I think we may have a problem:

Toe in the Water - Charlie Crist
15 hours ago - Double-digit Unemployment and The Economy? Nobody showed up to complain about those... Crist defends veto of teacher bill. JACKSONVILLE -- Gov. Charlie ...
harrypottering.com/gossip/Toe-in-the-Water-3970605.html

To contact Senator Bill Nelson please visit:

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/bio/userletter/?id=10892&letter_id=5057669591

Here you will be able to read the letters that Senator Nelson is receiving too.

To contact Governor Charlie Crist please visit:

http://www.flgov.com/contact_governor

Do this multiple times through out the day. The other advantage to sending these letters is that they also come up in google searches! Great "press" for us.

Well, that's my two cents. Thanks for the time to hear me out.

All my Best!!!

***ADMIN EDIT - Please stay on topic within the established threads, moving this to the appropriate thread

Last edited by Unemployed In Orlando on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moved to correct thread)

UEINFL

Back to top Go down

Post  needajob Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:19 pm

needajob wrote:The thoughts are that if we all do it the same time the same day we will get the maximum impact.
IN ORDER FOR "M-A-Y-D-A-Y S.O.S" TO HAVE THE BIGGEST IMPACT WE NEED TO FOCUS ON THE TARGET LIST IN THE FAR LEFT COLUMN on APRIL 30th & May 3rd ONLY !!
ALL RESUMES NEED TO HAVE

"M-A-Y-D-A-Y S.O.S" at the very top of the page.

There is a list of fax numbers on the sight to many senators. And links to free online fax services.
Are you tired of being ignored sending emails, faxing, and calling? Then let us try it as a group instead. This is a very large group and hopefully we will get much needed attention to our plight this way.

Jobless Unite
Jobless Unite - M-A-Y-D-A-Y
Unemployment Extensions:Tier 5 to SURVIVE youtube video
ODE to WASHINGTON Tier 5 to Survive youtube video

Please spread the word all you can the more we get the more attention we get folks.

We have some support in the Media finally on this. Please add your comments at the site. And join us. We need all the help we can get spreading the word. There is a list of free online services to send Faxs on Paladinette's website above.
Unemployed, Underemployed Plan Operation Flood Washington

needajob

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:32 pm

FLORIDA BILL UPDATE:

While most of us are focused on efforts to advocate for an EUC extension ("Tier 5"), don't forget that many, including many on this board, could possibly benefit greatly from the current action in the Florida legislature. That starts at 1:30 today in the Senate session, so it's not too late to call!

For more details and links to info about what's going on and what's actually in this bill and the amendments, go here:

https://unemployed-florida.forumotion.com/senate-bills-state-policies-federal-initiatives-f6/florida-legislature-possible-new-benefits-t163.htm
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:34 pm

They always say that allowing benefits to run out will force the unemployed to go to work even at jobs they'd not normally take. But they never mention that there are no jobs to take! Heck I've been applying for jobs beneath my skills for a year now, to no avail. The statistics themselves (6 workers for every job) don't even support the position that ending unemployment forces people to work. The number of jobs being created aren't even equal to the number of new people entering the work force...not to mention the 16 million who are already unemployed and looking for work. Good gosh, that burns me to hear the casual disregard for the unemployed. In good times with plenty of jobs the idea would be valid. But these arent good times, there are no jobs, and the unemployed arent bums. ARGHHH!!!!!!!!!

Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppy Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:44 pm

Jeff wrote:They always say that allowing benefits to run out will force the unemployed to go to work even at jobs they'd not normally take. But they never mention that there are no jobs to take! Heck I've been applying for jobs beneath my skills for a year now, to no avail. The statistics themselves (6 workers for every job) don't even support the position that ending unemployment forces people to work. The number of jobs being created aren't even equal to the number of new people entering the work force...not to mention the 16 million who are already unemployed and looking for work. Good gosh, that burns me to hear the casual disregard for the unemployed. In good times with plenty of jobs the idea would be valid. But these arent good times, there are no jobs, and the unemployed arent bums. ARGHHH!!!!!!!!!

You're singin' to the choir here, Jeff, that article just pissed me off. Articles like that are based on the uninformed opinions of so-called experts in the academic arena, translation, no 'real life' experience. I've decided I will no longer read that drivel, I've already got an ulcer.
Hoppy
Hoppy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:47 pm

Hoppy wrote:
Jeff wrote:They always say that allowing benefits to run out will force the unemployed to go to work even at jobs they'd not normally take. But they never mention that there are no jobs to take! Heck I've been applying for jobs beneath my skills for a year now, to no avail. The statistics themselves (6 workers for every job) don't even support the position that ending unemployment forces people to work. The number of jobs being created aren't even equal to the number of new people entering the work force...not to mention the 16 million who are already unemployed and looking for work. Good gosh, that burns me to hear the casual disregard for the unemployed. In good times with plenty of jobs the idea would be valid. But these arent good times, there are no jobs, and the unemployed arent bums. ARGHHH!!!!!!!!!

You're singin' to the choir here, Jeff, that article just pissed me off. Articles like that are based on the uninformed opinions of so-called experts in the academic arena, translation, no 'real life' experience. I've decided I will no longer read that drivel, I've already got an ulcer.

LOL! This stuff will sure do it to ya. Take care of that ulcer Hoppy. Well, gotta do my daily exercises.

LOL

Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  grandmom49 Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:01 pm

I sent this link to Sen Reid & my State Senator

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/economy/unemployment-insurance-doesnt-raise-jobless-rate/

We need to publicize the truth and not let "liars figure"

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:13 am

grandmom49 wrote:I sent this link to Sen Reid & my State Senator

http://www.foxbusiness.com/story/markets/economy/unemployment-insurance-doesnt-raise-jobless-rate/

We need to publicize the truth and not let "liars figure"

Nice article, GM49. And from Fox news no less.

Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:48 pm

I sent an email to the writer of this article a few days ago, essentially I bombarded her with facts. For starters, it's SIX million out of benefits (at least) by the end of the year, not 1 million, plus I filled her in on the facts of life of the myth of "99 weeks" for most of those on benefits.

She actually replied and asked me for a link to the Goldman Sachs article I mentioned to her. I sent it off, along with more hints that she, or anyone at CNN, could have a HUGE following if they provided real news about possible job growth, unemployment extensions (real ones), and news of real action in Congress that would create (not just "save") enough jobs to make a difference.

I hope she corrects her article, at minimum. (She's off until this Wednesday.) But we should really be bombarding the media with our faxes, not just Congress. If the media really is all that "liberal" then they should be all over this issue, but we just get either these little human interest stories, as if we were some cute animal, or else we get those obligatory mentions in every article from "the other side"--those totally outdated reports about the "disincentive" of benefits.

In case I forgot to post that Goldman analysis from March here, here it is for anyone who wants to hear the disturbing numbers: http://www.zerohedge.com/article/extended-and-emergency-unemployment-benefits-finally-begin-expiring-much-different-employmen
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppy Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:40 am

nancym wrote:

I sent an email to the writer of this article a few days ago, essentially I bombarded her with facts. For starters, it's SIX million out of benefits (at least) by the end of the year, not 1 million, plus I filled her in on the facts of life of the myth of "99 weeks" for most of those on benefits.

She actually replied and asked me for a link to the Goldman Sachs article I mentioned to her. I sent it off, along with more hints that she, or anyone at CNN, could have a HUGE following if they provided real news about possible job growth, unemployment extensions (real ones), and news of real action in Congress that would create (not just "save") enough jobs to make a difference.

I hope she corrects her article, at minimum. (She's off until this Wednesday.) But we should really be bombarding the media with our faxes, not just Congress. If the media really is all that "liberal" then they should be all over this issue, but we just get either these little human interest stories, as if we were some cute animal, or else we get those obligatory mentions in every article from "the other side"--those totally outdated reports about the "disincentive" of benefits.

In case I forgot to post that Goldman analysis from March here, here it is for anyone who wants to hear the disturbing numbers: http://www.zerohedge.com/article/extended-and-emergency-unemployment-benefits-finally-begin-expiring-much-different-employmen

THANK YOU, NANCY!!!!!! cheers I wanted to write to the author of that article too but knew my language would be, er, inappropriate. thanks for the link again to the Goldman Sachs article, I sent the link for the article to all our FL reps and senators along with many of our US senators.

Do you think the Goldman Sachs article will still be credible considering the recent stories about them?
Hoppy
Hoppy

Back to top Go down

Post  sc4ram Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:16 pm

Good article Nancy, I would just add my 2 cents by saying that the media isnt carrying our water on this issue because they are liberal (I would argue that most of the media is liberal) IMO they are in the tank for the President, and crusaiding for benefit extensions isnt good for ratings at the moment.

Can you imagine if this was still the Bush administration? There would be a syncronized media out cry for the President to address the needs of the unemployed.

BTW, you may have noticed Sen Reid and Spkr Polosi have announced that they will now pursue immigration reform (propably in the form of amnesty). That should suck up most of the Congressional oxygen for the next few months.
sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Post  frustratedinfl Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:34 pm

So I have been checking the Fl senate sight for any changes in the status of the Bill. This is what is says now.
" 04/26/10 SENATE Read 3rd time; CS passed as amended; YEAS 34 NAYS 0 04/26/10 HOUSE In Messages" So does this mean it has passed the Senate and is moved on to the House? I really should have paid more attention in Government class in college Smile

frustratedinfl

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:55 pm

frustratedinFL-- For news on the Florida bill, please go to that separate thread for news and posting any new comments. I posted here on this national legislation thread to gain attention for the bill, but I'm trying to herd all discussion about that Florida bill into one thread. In fact, I'm about to post an urgent update in that thread. Smile

Also note that we now have another Florida bill that UIO posted about today; these are totally different bills (so you'll see those two separate threads. Just click on the back links to see those threads.

Edit: Oh dear, I see that your original post of a question about EB was moved here, before I made that separate thread for the new bill. Sorry about the confusion, don't mean to be shuffling you around! We're trying to keep the state bills separated at this point. At least we actually have a viable state bill!
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 20 Empty March on Wall Street!

Post  nancym Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:15 pm

Everybody--Don't forget this rally today:

http://www.aflcio.org/splash_2010.cfm

If you can't be there in person in NYC, join the virtual march or watch on tv.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 20 Empty Congress VOTE for Tier V or Join the unemployed

Post  daytonaman Sat May 01, 2010 5:28 pm

The US Government MUST enact Tier V, or join the ranks of the unemployed! A new petition:

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/tier-v-to-survive-or-join-the-unemployed

In reference to the post by sc4ram, one of the articles mentions FEMA and unemployment being a Un-Natural disaster, well I agree, and I have e-mailed them, send FEMA your thoughts and feelings. The unemployed need all the help we can get!

AskFEMA@dhs.gov
Telephone: 1 (800) 621-FEMA (3362)
TDD: TTY users can dial 1 (800) 462-7585 to use the Federal Relay Service.
Fax: 1 (800) 827-8112
daytonaman
daytonaman

Back to top Go down

Post  grandmom49 Sat May 01, 2010 10:15 pm

I know that most of us have resumes to fax, but if you do not have a resume you can download a generic application form here http://wsd.dli.mt.gov/service/app.asp. Type in your info, type MAYDAY SOS across the top, save it to your documents, then you can follow the links on the action page & attch the application. This action is getting some attention but not enough to let our legislators know how dire our plight is. Please fax your resume or completed application tomorrow & Monday.

needajob wrote:
needajob wrote:The thoughts are that if we all do it the same time the same day we will get the maximum impact.
IN ORDER FOR "M-A-Y-D-A-Y S.O.S" TO HAVE THE BIGGEST IMPACT WE NEED TO FOCUS ON THE TARGET LIST IN THE FAR LEFT COLUMN on APRIL 30th & May 3rd ONLY !!
ALL RESUMES NEED TO HAVE

"M-A-Y-D-A-Y S.O.S" at the very top of the page.

There is a list of fax numbers on the sight to many senators. And links to free online fax services.
Are you tired of being ignored sending emails, faxing, and calling? Then let us try it as a group instead. This is a very large group and hopefully we will get much needed attention to our plight this way.

Jobless Unite
Jobless Unite - M-A-Y-D-A-Y
Unemployment Extensions:Tier 5 to SURVIVE youtube video
ODE to WASHINGTON Tier 5 to Survive youtube video

Please spread the word all you can the more we get the more attention we get folks.

We have some support in the Media finally on this. Please add your comments at the site. And join us. We need all the help we can get spreading the word. There is a list of free online services to send Faxs on Paladinette's website above.
Unemployed, Underemployed Plan Operation Flood Washington

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 20 Empty Dems Have No Plans to Extend Unemployment Benefits

Post  sc4ram Mon May 03, 2010 7:34 pm

sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 20 Empty Nearly 142,000 exhaust unemployment benefits

Post  sc4ram Mon May 03, 2010 7:44 pm

sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 20 Empty only 13% get full-time work

Post  cantfindajob Wed May 05, 2010 11:45 am

cantfindajob
cantfindajob

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 27 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 23 ... 27  Next