Unemployed Florida

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unemployed Florida
Unemployed Florida
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion

+40
Steve_
Garys1n2
Liz
UnemployedInFL
pyrox
UEINFL
frustratedinfl
needajob
fred
studioWI
TruthbeKnown
waybol
enrique2010
Robbi314
shartee
cantfindajob
sharonB
deetann
JJ in Florida
DisneyDean
joseph
Robyn
tj21121008
Tampa Bay - Anna
hor2culture
SaraJ
gknowles
daytonaman
Sheila
MiamiVice
Unemployed In Orlando
GonzoFL
sc4ram
Hoppy
Me From Jax
grandmom49
Jeff
connorsgp
Michael55
nancym
44 posters

Page 6 of 27 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16 ... 27  Next

Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 6 Empty COBRA expansion, Medicare payments to doctors 'fix' looming over Congress

Post  sc4ram Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:41 pm

I think there is a kernel of good news for us in here in that there are some Dems in the majority in Congress that are willing to forgo "pay-go" rules in order to move a benefits extension forward (otherwise Im not sure it would move very fast in the present budget environment)

http://www.news-medical.net/news/20100217/COBRA-expansion-Medicare-payments-to-doctors-fix-looming-over-Congress.aspx

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/81405-pay-go-gets-passed-then-it-gets-bypassed
sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 6 Empty Re: New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion

Post  Jeff Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:10 am

daytonaman wrote:I sent a message to Maurice Emsellem of Nelp today asking about the 12 weeks, the response was the 12 weeks just extend the program, it does not add any more tiers or benefit extensions.

Here is a copy of his response:
There’s some confusion out there. The bill that’s out there continues the current program for 12 weeks, it doesn’t add 12 weeks or create any new tiers. We’re looking to do more regarding folks running out of their 99 weeks, but that’s going to take more time (versus continuing the current program) given this Congress.

Running out of 99 weeks? Who's getting 99 weeks?.....not me. I'll bet most people aren't. Maybe if you became unemployed in early 2008 you'd get 99 weeks. But heck, what about everyone who became unemployed between then and now? Mine runs out at about 56 weeks at $131 per week. Not 99 weeks at $275 per week or whatever the average is. Anyway, I'm not complaining. I just don't wanna be misunderstood.

Jeff

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 6 Empty Re: New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion

Post  SaraJ Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:29 am

[quote="Jeff"]
connorsgp wrote:I'm thinking the article means a 3 month extension of the Feb 28 date not an additional 12 weeks of benefits such as an additional tier. The bill before Reid streamlined it extended the deadline 3 months, or 12 weeks.

Yes this is exactly what the article means....a 12-week extension of the deadline, which is wonderful news for many of us who would miss out on other tiers Very Happy

SaraJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:20 pm

[quote="SaraJ"]
Jeff wrote:
connorsgp wrote:I'm thinking the article means a 3 month extension of the Feb 28 date not an additional 12 weeks of benefits such as an additional tier. The bill before Reid streamlined it extended the deadline 3 months, or 12 weeks.

Yes this is exactly what the article means....a 12-week extension of the deadline, which is wonderful news for many of us who would miss out on other tiers Very Happy

Yup exactly Sara cheers
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

https://unemployed-florida.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 6 Empty Latest NELP Email 2/19

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:37 pm

Todays NELP email for those who do not subscribe -

Dear Friends,

After delays due to inclement weather and a week of recess, Congress comes back into session on Monday, February 22. It is now up to us to make sure that extension of UI benefits and the COBRA subsidy through 2010 is their FIRST priority.
As many of you know, the House has passed reauthorization of the federal extensions, COBRA subsidies, and additional $25 in every weekly check - which is all set to expire at the end of February - until June of this year. The Senate failed to act before Congress went on recess, and now has ONE WEEK left before the expiration of federal UI provisions. We are urging Congress to make sure these measures are in place until the end of the year, and need your immediate help.

Congress must pass a stand-alone extension bill immediately. Since Congress failed to extend these important benefits before Friday, February 19, 2010, state unemployment offices have started sending out notices to claimants that their benefits are expiring, and are reprogramming their computer systems to shut down with EUC, EB and FAC benefits. Congress has ONE WEEK to make reauthorization happens so that you do not face a disruption in your benefits. We need to make sure that Congress knows that we won't allow these important programs to be used as "must pass" legislation every few months, and be held hostage to political processes that can spin out of control because of forces of nature or partisan games. YOU should NOT be the victims of blizzards, political schedules, or any other D.C. dynamics.

We need your help - Please take action and urge your member of Congress to act now and reauthorize a stand-alone version of these crucial unemployment extensions and support before they run out on February 28th. Let them know that they need to do the right thing-- pass the UI and COBRA extensions through the end of 2010, and do so as soon as they get back into session. Your economic security and the economic stimulus these benefits provide to your communities are too important to lapse again for any reason.
Consider becoming even more of an activist by signing up to become a media spokesperson by sharing your story here .

We will be sure to update you at least once a week, or more frequently if there are issues we need to bring to your attention. If you have any questions or want to get more involved in this campaign, please visit www.unemployedworkers.org or email us at unemployedworkers.org@gmail.com.

Thanks again for everything you have already done.

Your friends at unemployedworkers.org,
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:01 am

I sent my NELP emails. But where is everyone? The last time here when this was being addresssed (around November?) this site was filled with people. Did they all get jobs....or give up...or what?

Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  connorsgp Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:14 pm

I don't know Jeff, but this is a toll taking process...Congress goes right to the brink on all these extensions and that alone is stressful on all of us who have worked for years and are not used to unemployment and all the negativity that goes with it..we know this will again be extended probably only till the end of May perhaps we'll be working by then, but it doesn't look good and aroung May 25th the process will repeat itself. I'm pretty sure that at the end of the day the extensions will continue till Dec 2010; however, that will probably be the end of all EUC programs, and I don't see another Tier in the works anytime soon...and so it goes...

connorsgp

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 6 Empty new round of Federal Extended Benefits

Post  hor2culture Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:41 pm

I have been seeing pop up on some recent web searches the idea that those who have already exhausted Tiers I thru IV AND who claimed and received a full complement of EB payments in 2009 may be able to claim ANOTHER round of Extended Benefits in 2010. I'm no legal scholar but after having read the language of the bill and all its amendments (what life?) it seems to me the intention was for the feds to come to the rescue once all other benefits had been exhausted. I don't see where it says it will do it only once.

Any thoughts, folks?

**ADMIN EDIT - Moved to existing thread with this subject. Please stay on topic within the established threads, thanks. Wink

Last edited by Unemployed In Orlando on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Moved to correct thread)
hor2culture
hor2culture

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:51 pm

connorsgp wrote:I don't know Jeff, but this is a toll taking process...Congress goes right to the brink on all these extensions and that alone is stressful on all of us who have worked for years and are not used to unemployment and all the negativity that goes with it..we know this will again be extended probably only till the end of May perhaps we'll be working by then, but it doesn't look good and aroung May 25th the process will repeat itself. I'm pretty sure that at the end of the day the extensions will continue till Dec 2010; however, that will probably be the end of all EUC programs, and I don't see another Tier in the works anytime soon...and so it goes...

Of course you're right about this being a toll taking process, especially along with the dismal jobs situation.

Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:57 pm

hor2culture wrote:I have been seeing pop up on some recent web searches the idea that those who have already exhausted Tiers I thru IV AND who claimed and received a full complement of EB payments in 2009 may be able to claim ANOTHER round of Extended Benefits in 2010. I'm no legal scholar but after having read the language of the bill and all its amendments (what life?) it seems to me the intention was for the feds to come to the rescue once all other benefits had been exhausted. I don't see where it says it will do it only once.

Any thoughts, folks?

**ADMIN EDIT - Moved to existing thread with this subject. Please stay on topic within the established threads, thanks. Wink

That would require funding which has been the argument for every Tier, I'd think. Y/N?

Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  sc4ram Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:25 am

I happened to catch Senate repub minority leader McConnell on FNS today responding to Maj Ldr Reid's claim that he had pulled the orginal jobs bill (that inc a benefits timeline extension) because the repubs wouldnt allow it to come to the Senate floor, Sen. McConnell denied this, you can listen to it at the link below.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4027250/panel-plus-221#/v/4027404/sen-mitch-mcconnell-on-fns/?playlist_id=87249
sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:49 am

sc4ram wrote:I happened to catch Senate repub minority leader McConnell on FNS today responding to Maj Ldr Reid's claim that he had pulled the orginal jobs bill (that inc a benefits timeline extension) because the repubs wouldnt allow it to come to the Senate floor, Sen. McConnell denied this, you can listen to it at the link below.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4027250/panel-plus-221#/v/4027404/sen-mitch-mcconnell-on-fns/?playlist_id=87249

!@#$% !@#$% !@#$%!!!! Evil or Very Mad
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:51 pm

Jeff wrote:I sent my NELP emails. But where is everyone? The last time here when this was being addresssed (around November?) this site was filled with people. Did they all get jobs....or give up...or what?

We certainly didn't all find jobs, though I hope a few might have found at least some temp work. There are probably more people reading than you realize, since the membership here keeps going up weekly and the stats from UIO tell that many people are reading and not posting. Last fall we had a lot of action in Congress, now, well.. Even the people who post on Open Congress are going around in circles not knowing what to think.

Even I don't post as much as before because there's no bill out there to talk about. I think many are also just stunned with thoughts of what seems like a bleak future and Congress not appearing to plan to help so many millions. I hope this week will see some action, at least talk, of some concrete help in the Senate and House.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  sc4ram Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:14 pm

Well stated Nancy .................
sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

Post  Tampa Bay - Anna Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:01 pm

Well said Nancy.....
I've been unemployed since Jan '08.... The whole UC process and endless job searching is exhausting. Sometimes you have to take a mental break from the UC battle, lol. But Thank God for NELP and how they continue the fight Smile
Tampa Bay - Anna
Tampa Bay - Anna

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 6 Empty PROVIDING FOR CONSIDERATION OF THE SENATE AMENDMENT TO THE BILL (H.R. 3326)

Post  daytonaman Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:15 pm

Here is a copy of the amendment to the Jobs Bill regarding Unemployment benefits and Cobra that the senate claims to be going over today:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/cpquery/?&dbname=cp111&sid=cp111MdQpb&refer=&r_n=hr380.111&item=&sel=TOC_345150&

This Entire Bill is to be discussed live today on C-SPAN2 at 2:00pm, they are currently reading the annual Farewell speech, and then discussing the Jobs bill, It will re-air tonight with more updates regarding the voting at 5:30 - Brighthouse channel 98

Last edited by daytonaman on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To include information regarding live telecast of jobs bill)
daytonaman
daytonaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:22 pm

sc4ram wrote:I happened to catch Senate repub minority leader McConnell on FNS today responding to Maj Ldr Reid's claim that he had pulled the orginal jobs bill (that inc a benefits timeline extension) because the repubs wouldnt allow it to come to the Senate floor, Sen. McConnell denied this, you can listen to it at the link below.

Sc4ram, did you see daytonaman's post he just put up? I wonder if this amendment was done overnight or if it is the same one they pulled.
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:24 pm

sc4ram wrote:Well stated Nancy .................

Ditto that. Do you think that the many sections/topics might be confusing?

Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  sc4ram Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:24 pm

Just read Daytonaman's post UIO. I dont understand it, but thats great news if they are going to vote on it this week.

The last thing I saw in print on it said "Despite such concerns, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has momentarily set aside legislation that would extend benefits and health insurance subsidies for the jobless" in lieu of a tax break for employers.

However I think any Senator can offer a ammendment to just about any bill, and Minority Leader McConnell implied yesterday that the repubs werent going to block it (he implied they wanted to add ammendments to it)
sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 6 Empty Sen Byron Dorgan(D) PUSHING BILL HARD

Post  daytonaman Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:32 pm

Sen Dorgan Just left the floor of the Senate, He aggressively pushed all measures of the Bill including Extension of benefits. How much help will it be in extending benefits? He stated 26 million Americans woke up this morning wanting a job, but JUST CAN"T FIND ONE because of the Trade Act, sending almost all of our jobs overseas

After reading the latest Nelp e-mail, Not one other member of the senate today has mentioned the Unemployment extensions, Someone put a Stop to it before today's debate was over. Reid Maybe, Hopefully there is some truth in a STAND ALONE extension bill, everyone call, fax & e-mail congress tomorrow and all week!

Last edited by daytonaman on Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Change in Senate bill debate)
daytonaman
daytonaman

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 6 Empty Latest NELP Email 2/22

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:56 pm

Latest NELP email that was just sent for those who dont subscribe -

Friends,

Congress came back into session today, and as many of you know, has one week left to ensure that the current federal extensions, COBRA subsidies, and additional $25 per week in everyone's benefit checks continues uninterrupted after the end of the month. We are disappointed to report that the current plan in the Senate is to extend benefits by 15 days (through March 15th), and then work on a longer extension during the first two weeks of March. We don't believe that any more deliberation should be necessary - this is a program that is vital for unemployed workers, their families and their communities and is the best economic stimulus that exists. It should be a no-brainer to extend this program through the end of the year and your legislators need to keep hearing that message. We can't keep fighting this same fight every few weeks and every few months because it distracts from the business of getting the long-term unemployed back to work and fully supported in their efforts to do so.

Many of you have sent out our new action alert to both the Senate and the House, urging them to get the job done immediately, and we encourage you to keep sending emails and forwarding the alert to your friends. In the last few days alone, we've had thousands and thousands of letters go out, and we urgently need to keep up the momentum and make sure an extension is passed - ideally through the end of year.

To this end, the Jobs for America Now coalition is doing a second national call-in day tomorrow - TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 23rd. Please take a moment and call the offices of your elected officials, and let them know why UI extensions, $25 benefit supplement, and COBRA subsidies are so important. Visit the Jobs for America Now page to take action and receive talking points to help you with the call. Additionally, further talking points and updates are on our website, in our Action Center and Blog.

We know many of you are concerned about what will happen with your benefits given the delay in reauthorizing these important programs. Many of the state workforce agencies who administer UI programs are trying to keep their programs up and running through the week, counting on Congress to do the right thing and reauthorize them all. They are taking that gamble to make sure that there is no interruption in benefits to you, so even if you are getting notices or reading about benefits stopping, that will ONLY happen if Congress fails to act before the close of business on Friday.

Thank you for your continued action, and we'll be sending out regular updates, as well as posting on our blog, to let you know what is happening in Washington DC with these critical extensions. Please visit unemployedworkers.org to sign up as a media spokesperson for this campaign, take action on the extensions, and get the latest updates. We'll be sure to keep you posted as things progress, and please know that your actions are so important in helping us get the message across to Congress that this needs to be their FIRST priority this week.

Your friends at unemployedworkers.org,
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:04 pm

Jeff wrote:
sc4ram wrote:Well stated Nancy .................

Ditto that. Do you think that the many sections/topics might be confusing?

This political section could probably use some consolidation, but without a particular bill to rally round or something like that, it might be premature right now.

As far as the other sections for continuing discussion, we still have many people in different stages of their benefits, so those are still useful. Eventually we'll probably have to do some archiving, or clump some threads together.

I encourage people to use the link for "posts since last visit" from the home page, or use the search feature at the top, which works quite well. (Also, anyone who reads but doesn't log in, be aware that you miss out on the highlighting of new post sections that shows up when logged in.)
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 6 Empty Jobs Bill HR 2847

Post  daytonaman Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:37 pm

Senate voted today around 6:30 to move forward with the revised jobs bill 62-30.
I've been watching this since 2:00pm today, Only ONE senator mentioned unemployment extensions, so that must mean that part of the bill was moved to another date, they have mentioned that the other amendments will be voted on some time this week.
daytonaman
daytonaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:39 pm

Thanks Nancy, yes we will consolidate in the near future. Sc4ram has a handle on heath care and then we have many other threads in the government section we can clean up. And yes, I wish many of the lurkers would register Very Happy I always thought making the site reg only just isnt right, but also feel that those people should contribute as well. You never know when there might be someone out there with your exact situation and havent stepped forward. Just look at us hehe cheers
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 27 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 16 ... 27  Next