Unemployed Florida

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unemployed Florida
Unemployed Florida
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion

+40
Steve_
Garys1n2
Liz
UnemployedInFL
pyrox
UEINFL
frustratedinfl
needajob
fred
studioWI
TruthbeKnown
waybol
enrique2010
Robbi314
shartee
cantfindajob
sharonB
deetann
JJ in Florida
DisneyDean
joseph
Robyn
tj21121008
Tampa Bay - Anna
hor2culture
SaraJ
gknowles
daytonaman
Sheila
MiamiVice
Unemployed In Orlando
GonzoFL
sc4ram
Hoppy
Me From Jax
grandmom49
Jeff
connorsgp
Michael55
nancym
44 posters

Page 16 of 27 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21 ... 27  Next

Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 16 Empty Re: New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion

Post  Robbi314 Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:47 pm

The House Ways and Means Committee press office answered some questions about what the bill does and does not do.

It does not, for example, add any additional weeks of unemployment benefits. It simply extends the deadline for filing for federal unemployment benefits through May 5.

Robbi314

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 16 Empty Re: New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:00 pm

Robbi314 wrote:It just extends deadlines. Nothing in there for Tier V and the person at AWI is an idiot. I REALLY wish they wouldn't just say s*#t to get people off the phone. It's cruel!

Couldnt agree more. They themselves are the culprit and reason why there is so much confusion on new legislation most of the time. I just feel bad for the people who call them to "understand" anything. study

Last edited by Unemployed In Orlando on Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Watching basketball and cant spell lol)
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

https://unemployed-florida.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sc4ram Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:13 pm

Gives creedence to the accusation that these guys dont read or understand the bills they vote on up there in Congress.
sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 16 Empty Which Bill is the right bill?

Post  daytonaman Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:57 pm

HR 4213 passed the senate earlier this month, extending eligibility to 12/31/10

HR 2847 Mentions Unemployment & Cobra in the text, but not clear on what it really does

HR 4851 On March 16 The Continuing Extension Act of 2010 strikes the deadline April 5 2010, and inserts May 5 2010

Have any of these bills actually done ANYTHING? If HR 4213 extends eligibility through 12/31/10, what is the purpose of HR 4851?

Why do they need to have 3 different bills, with 2 of them stating different eligibility dates?, And nothing states more weeks or tiers, and John from AWI should lose his job for giving false information
daytonaman
daytonaman

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 16 Empty all those bills

Post  nancym Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:32 pm

daytonaman wrote:

Why do they need to have 3 different bills, with 2 of them stating different eligibility dates?, And nothing states more weeks or tiers, and John from AWI should lose his job for giving false information

HR 4213 never made it into law. Remember, even when a bill passes either the House or the Senate, it still can get amended, or go into conference committee and die there. In this case, as I vaguely remember, Reid broke this bill up, ostensibly not trusting it would either get final support or serve its purpose, or whatever. The bill is a huge rambling thing about taxes, the unemployment part was just a fraction of that bill.
http://www.opencongress.org/bill/111-h4213/show

The "new plan" was supposedly to have a series of smaller bills, more straightforward, not as easy to vote against, and trying to "send the right message" to folks about their efforts with job creation.

So 4213 did not actually extend anything yet. That's why 2847 was needed as a stopgap measure to keep the machines turning out checks in the states, while supposedly Congress could figure out the best approach to some comprehensive jobs legislation. So after Bunning, et al, it became apparent that even the Hire Act, the one with the hiring incentives, a much smaller bill, would have trouble getting passed, they realized they needed yet more time, so that's why someone proposed another stopgap bill for May 5!

So now we have a bill to entice employers to hire people with a tax credit and a temp cut in SS taxes (that's sizable, actually) that might get a few employers who might be on the fence to go ahead with hiring plans and employ the unemployed, but we still don't have any kind of date extension past April 5.

There must be some quaint colloquial phrase that could aptly describe all this, but I'll leave that to Gonzo; he's probably thought of one already. Smile

Last edited by nancym on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link)
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 16 Empty Media help is needed for Tier V?

Post  daytonaman Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:54 am

I've been doing extensive research in regards to whats going on with tier V possibilities, This site has several ongoing and changing threads with endless comments: http://progressillinois.com/quick-hits/content/2010/03/12/number-day-16?page=1

One of the comments led me to this link: http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-668-TV-Examiner~y2010m3d15-Want-a-5th-tier-of-unemployment-benefits-Then-you-need-to-target-the-news-media

Interesting information, However I don't have the gift of being a good writer, at least not to the point where I'd correctly get the point across as to how badly a tier V is needed. I begin to wonder if the Homeless shelters, Food Stamp offices, Local Charities, and churches have any idea of the tsunami of people needing help is coming at them if a tier V is not passed.

Here is a letter that someone posted to use for the media, It looks good, send this to your local newspapers and television channels:

LONG TERM UNEMPLOYED NOT COVERED BY RECENT PASSAGE OF H.R. 4213 BY SENATE 3/10/10.
-- Those that have been laid off longer than a year and a half DO NOT QUALIFY under H.R 4213. Millions again without benefits. --

The news media is under the impression that those people that were laid off as early as 2007 (known as long term unemployed) will receive extended benefits with the recent passage by the Senate of H.R. 4213, which will extend benefits to the end of the year.

NOT SO. What this bill does is extend some of the deadlines so that people who were laid off later in 2009 and into 2010 can still qualify for the extra unemployment benefits provided in last year's stimulus package. There are almost 2 MILLION of us that will exhaust Tier IV in 2+ weeks, this is our lifeline because the Jobs Bill was dissected by the Senate! We want to be EMPLOYED! The Economic Meltdown continues and we're in a pool of mud trying to make it to the surface!. Shame on Washington and Congress in BOTH houses for doing this.
daytonaman
daytonaman

Back to top Go down

Post  grandmom49 Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:23 pm

daytonaman, Do you have a link to where that letter is posted? I have found that if I tweet links to the news media & my followers read the articles/stories they more times than not retweet & then their followers retweet, and so on which gives us wider circulation & also lets the media know that the cause is supported by more than one little tweeter. BTW today is twitter's 4th birthday & I forget the number of accounts now on twitter but I can attest to the fact that they are a powerful networking tool & hope that more forum members join & use it.

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 16 Empty RE: Media help is needed for Tier V?

Post  daytonaman Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:48 pm

grandmom49 wrote:daytonaman, Do you have a link to where that letter is posted? I have found that if I tweet links to the news media & my followers read the articles/stories they more times than not retweet & then their followers retweet, and so on which gives us wider circulation & also lets the media know that the cause is supported by more than one little tweeter. BTW today is twitter's 4th birthday & I forget the number of accounts now on twitter but I can attest to the fact that they are a powerful networking tool & hope that more forum members join & use it.

The letter was posted on a progressillinois website, I'm looking for the page it was on now, having a hard time finding it, I've read through about 15 pages of comments

http://progressillinois.com/quick-hits/content/2010/03/12/number-day-16
daytonaman
daytonaman

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 16 Empty Tent Cities are brewing without TIER V

Post  daytonaman Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:55 pm

daytonaman wrote:
grandmom49 wrote:daytonaman, Do you have a link to where that letter is posted? I have found that if I tweet links to the news media & my followers read the articles/stories they more times than not retweet & then their followers retweet, and so on which gives us wider circulation & also lets the media know that the cause is supported by more than one little tweeter. BTW today is twitter's 4th birthday & I forget the number of accounts now on twitter but I can attest to the fact that they are a powerful networking tool & hope that more forum members join & use it.

The letter was posted on a progressillinois website, I'm looking for the page it was on now, having a hard time finding it, I've read through about 15 pages of comments

http://progressillinois.com/quick-hits/content/2010/03/12/number-day-16

In Portland, Oregon, the mayor has removed homeless laws and set up an area in the city for tents to be put up in preparation for the onslaught of homeless, because so many people will be exhausting all benefits.

That is sad, when a Mayor of a city see's a major problem, and our government does not.
daytonaman
daytonaman

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 16 Empty 2 in congress are supprting Tier V

Post  daytonaman Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:27 pm

Senator Bernie Sanders ( I ) Vermont http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/292568-101

Congressman Mark Shauer ( D ) Michigan introduces jobless extension: http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/article/20100318/NEWS01/303180009/Schauer

This is from progress Illinois blog, someone who spoke with a staff member is rep. Shauers office:

"I just spoke with Eddie in Schauer's office, he said that the proposed bill (per the Battle Creek Enquirer story) is for those who will exhaust tier 4 benefits - this extension is for the long-term unemployed to receive benefits in addition to what tier 4 currently offers."

Last edited by daytonaman on Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Post a quote from a Conress staff member)
daytonaman
daytonaman

Back to top Go down

Post  SaraJ Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:31 pm

SaraJ

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 16 Empty They are FINALLY getting it in the media

Post  daytonaman Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:00 pm

SaraJ wrote:Good article that actually mentions a tier V

http://www.rrstar.com/carousel/x1664768112/Fate-of-jobless-benefits-open-to-debate

Good article showing the debates and true need, more news stations and papers need to be showing the public the truth about the so called extensions, here is a Channel 6 Orlando link: http://www.clickorlando.com/station/22798697/detail.html

Another site from a Michigan Congressman wants public opinion, http://www.house.gov/levin/levin_home_survey.shtml

Will the business of the House and Senate be the American unemployed Workforce?
http://worldnewsvine.com/2010/03/health-care-reform-bill-final-vote-gop-prepares-its-next-battle-against-americas-workforce-unemployment-extensions

Last edited by daytonaman on Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:57 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Links and news)
daytonaman
daytonaman

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 16 Empty Petition

Post  TruthbeKnown Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:48 am

TruthbeKnown

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 16 Empty Petitions, E-mail and Call Campaign this week

Post  daytonaman Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:17 am

The petition above has changed from a goal of 500 when first started, to 1500, now 2500, when will it be sent to congress?

E-mail and Call, Campaign for tier V

http://tier5.webs.com/apps/forums/topics/show/2309188-so-now-that-health-care-is-not-blocking-our-path-our-time-has-come-

Phone & Fax Numbers for key contacts:

Senate Majority Leader Reid: Phone= (202) 224-3542 Fax= (202) 224-7327

Senator Richard Durbin: Phone= (202) 224-2152 Fax= (202) 228-0400

Senator Max Baucus: Phone= (202) 224-2651 Fax= (202) 224-9412

Senator Chris Dodd: Phone= (202) 224-2823 Fax= (202) 224-1083

Senator Sherrod Brown: Phone= (202) 224-2315 Fax= (202) 228-6321

Senator Jean Shaheen: Phone= (202) 224-2841 Fax= (202) 228-3194

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi: Phone= (202) 225-4965

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer: Phone= (202) 225-4131 Fax= (202) 225-4300

Last edited by daytonaman on Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : TO include phone and fax info)
daytonaman
daytonaman

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 16 Empty Tier V discussions still on the back burner

Post  daytonaman Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:13 pm

Well it looks like jobs bills or tier V won't be discussed today, both the house & senate members, including Harry Reid are babbling over the health care bill
daytonaman
daytonaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:58 pm

daytonaman wrote:Well it looks like jobs bills or tier V won't be discussed today, both the house & senate members, including Harry Reid are babbling over the health care bill

Yeah, prolly be on it all week. Hang in there DM.

Jeff

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 16 Empty Tier V

Post  sc4ram Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:02 pm

Dont get your hopes up anytime soon for Health Care to clear the Congress, there will be a long parlimentary and procedural debate about it comming up in the Senate that will make the Sen Bunning episode look like a cartoon........
sc4ram
sc4ram

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 16 Empty Senate Debate

Post  daytonaman Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:15 pm

sc4ram wrote:Dont get your hopes up anytime soon for Health Care to clear the Congress, there will be a long parlimentary and procedural debate about it comming up in the Senate that will make the Sen Bunning episode look like a cartoon........

I can believe that, All other issues will be on the back burner, the Attorney General of Florida & 9 other States is suing the government over this health care bill
daytonaman
daytonaman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:50 pm

In this terrible economy with fifteen to thirty million Americans without jobs, income, or hope of a job...I am flabbergasted that our government is spending all their time and energy on healthcare. It's insane. I'm hungry...I think I'll go buy a new suit.

Jeff

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 16 Empty Tier V to Survive - America is FED UP

Post  daytonaman Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:21 am

Jeff wrote:In this terrible economy with fifteen to thirty million Americans without jobs, income, or hope of a job...I am flabbergasted that our government is spending all their time and energy on healthcare. It's insane. I'm hungry...I think I'll go buy a new suit.

Interesting Article:

http://www.prlog.org/10585816-2-trillion-for-ungrateful-banks-no-help-for-bank-victimslong-term-unemployed.html

If Congress fails to add another tier or weeks before the break, use this link to request a meeting in your area to meet with them face to face and let them know how bad it is!!

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/webreturn/?url=/results/issues/alert/?alertid=8316316

Last edited by daytonaman on Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add Web site for Local meeting request with lawmakers)
daytonaman
daytonaman

Back to top Go down

Post  studioWI Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:40 am

daytonaman wrote:If Congress fails to add another tier or weeks before the break, use this link to request a meeting in your area to meet with them face to face and let them know how bad it is!!

http://www.congress.org/congressorg/webreturn/?url=/results/issues/alert/?alertid=8316316

Hmmm...I get a "Server not found" error message...from this forum...

studioWI

Back to top Go down

Post  daytonaman Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:53 am

studioWI wrote:
daytonaman wrote:If Congress fails to add another tier or weeks before the break, use this link to request a meeting in your area to meet with them face to face and let them know how bad it is!!

Hmmm...I get a "Server not found" error message...from this forum...

I don't understand, I had the website open not 15 minutes ago, I tried the copy and paste function, got the same message
daytonaman
daytonaman

Back to top Go down

Post  grandmom49 Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:22 am

Try this page. It has a drop down menu so you can find your representatives and links to valuable information about planning your meeting for the best outcome.

http://www.congress.org/legislative_protocol

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 16 Empty LTU to be the New Homeless- No tier V before Spring Recess

Post  daytonaman Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:43 pm

Everywhere I look, and everything I read points to absolutely no hope for a tier V before the break, Our disgusting government is literally going to allow Millions of Americans to be forced to the street at the end of this month, while they go home to all the luxuries of life, we the long term unemployed are forgotten about.
By the end of this month, so many deserving hard working families won't even have the basic necessities in life, Easter on the park bench or street corner.

I for one am truly disgusted with this countries political CRAP, Bail out everyone but your own, again I ask what the hell do we pay taxes for?

This is exactly what the government wants, all of us to fall off the unemployment rolls, the unemployment rate goes down & they can tell the media that they have done their job
daytonaman
daytonaman

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 16 Empty Latest NELP Email 3/23

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:19 pm

For those of you who dont subscribe :

Here we are again - the deadline is approaching for the UI and COBRA programs to end, and Congress has yet to fully reauthorize the program. After the success in the Senate a few weeks ago, where they extended the filing deadline of the program through the end of the year, we have experienced some setbacks and are, again, hoping to pass another 30 day extension of the filing deadline.

Here is what happened: although the Senate passed a year-long extension of the filing deadline, it did so as part of a larger bill containing "tax extenders," provisions of the tax code that lapsed at the end of the last year that the Senate wanted to extend into 2010. The problem is that those extenders were offset with revenue raising measures that the House had already set aside for the health care bill. So the House could not pass the Senate version of the bill, and late last week, passed another 30 day extension of the filing deadline of the UI and COBRA programs so they wouldn't lapse. The plan is to then deal with the longer extension of the filing deadline once the Health Care bill fully clears Congress.

The Senate is planning to spend virtually the whole week working on Health Care - although the House passed the Senate bill last night, they are now turning to some "fixes" the House has passed in addition to the bill, and hoping to do it in the context of the Budget. Unfortunately, this will take up virtually all of the floor time this week and then both Houses are on recess until April 12. Thus, the Senate HAS to pass the 30 day extension of the filing deadline via "unanimous consent" which doesn't mean that everyone in the Senate needs to vote for the bill, but that everyone in the Senate needs to agree that it should have a vote. ONE Senator can hold up the whole process - that's what we saw Senator Jim Bunning of Kentucky do a few weeks ago. Senator Reid of Nevada tried to move the extension last Friday, but was blocked by Senator Jon Kyl of Arizona who stated that because not all Republicans were on the floor, he would not agree to the vote. He expressed optimism that the bill would pass this week and we need your help to make that happen.

We cannot afford to let one rogue senator block this bill - the program lapsed just for a short time a few weeks ago and states were able to keep things up and running. But because of the Congressional recess, if the programs aren't reauthorized THIS WEEK, they will lapse for at least a week and the state agencies will not be able to keep things running as smoothly this time. That will lead to delays in people getting their checks.

All of you should contact your Senators and DEMAND that they extend the filing deadline of UI and COBRA this week so that the programs don't lapse. But in particular, if your Senators are Republicans, it is especially important that you contact them and make it clear to them that they cannot play games with this program and with your lives.

Visit our new action alert to get in touch with them, and have your friends and families do the same - the time is NOW - you must act so that the Senate knows that it too, must act NOW.

What does this mean for you?
-This new 30 day extension of the filing deadline does not add additional weeks of benefits to the UI program
-This new 30 day extension of the filing deadline will permit individuals that exhaust regular state benefits after March 28, 2010 to move on and collect federal benefits
-This new 30 day extension of the filing deadline will permit individuals that exhaust a tier of federal benefits after April 4, 2010 to move to the next tier of federal benefits already in law
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

https://unemployed-florida.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 27 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21 ... 27  Next