Unemployed Florida

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unemployed Florida
Unemployed Florida
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FL sequence of unemployment benefits

+11
gloriie
joeandnadya
bittybear
InsuranceMan
mattsg84
eceltica
Unemployed In Orlando
GonzoFL
eitherhalf
help
nancym
15 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

FL sequence of unemployment benefits - Page 2 Empty Re: FL sequence of unemployment benefits

Post  bittybear Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:25 am

[quote="nancym"]
bittybear wrote:

The EB law was originally from 1970, a 50-50 deal for the states and the feds, optional for the states. The only reason we had EB was because the ARRA bill gave that 100% temporary funding. I think almost everyone now agrees that Congress should have just done one big EUC to begin with and avoided the whole fight with the states!

But that would've defeated their purpose of changing - or "modernizing" the eligilbity criteria. At least they got something out of the great state of Florida.

Bittybear

bittybear

Back to top Go down

FL sequence of unemployment benefits - Page 2 Empty Re: FL sequence of unemployment benefits

Post  nancym Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:59 am

[quote="bittybear"]
nancym wrote:
bittybear wrote:

I think almost everyone now agrees that Congress should have just done one big EUC to begin with and avoided the whole fight with the states!

But that would've defeated their purpose of changing - or "modernizing" the eligilbity criteria. At least they got something out of the great state of Florida.

Bittybear

Heh-heh. But only superficially, because this particular "modernization" was temporary, only through the dates of the 100% federal funding, and at the expense of all of those who had to wait 2-1/2 months to get the EB system set up before getting checks.

I'm essentially a flaming liberal progressive (with great concern for fraud and waste) who was in favor of many of the provisions of the stimulus bill, but this one was just plain naive about how Congress thought they could "teach" the states how to legislate--all the got were enormous delays, political posturing, and more stress on the long term unemployed.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

FL sequence of unemployment benefits - Page 2 Empty Superficial Moderninzation

Post  bittybear Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:20 pm

So the whole thing about lowering the threshold by using TUR in place of IUR was only for the term of the act that was passes by our state legislators? Holy cow! I tuned out right after it was passed, because I got a job, albeit only a part time one. But I do rmember a very strong feeling of distaste with all of our representatives.

I thought the extended benefits program was a permanent one, and that the changes made to when it kicks in in the future were permanent also (?)

Bittybear

bittybear

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:07 pm

bittybear wrote:So the whole thing about lowering the threshold by using TUR in place of IUR was only for the term of the act that was passes by our state legislators? ...
I thought the extended benefits program was a permanent one, and that the changes made to when it kicks in in the future were permanent also (?)

Bittybear

I was shocked myself to see the expiration date, but I also tuned out at the time because we were all so relieved (and so exhausted) to have the bill finally pass.

Technically, I believe the TUR qualifier for EB is still in place, at least that's my understanding of it--this one's a little confusing--read SB 810; I think you posted the link yourself somewhere here, or just go to flsenate.gov. But the big hangup is that those extended benefits are an option of the states, and no matter what the qualifier is, if the legislature doesn't agree to pay for it, then there's no further EB extension. They looked at the deadlines for the ARRA provisions for 100% funding and cut their own state bill off to correspond wtih that. I think they could also decide to just keep paying at the usual 50% funding, but anyone who watched the state Senate fight knows that would probably be a tough tangle.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  InsuranceMan Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:42 am

OK...

I've been reading and I think I had a misunderstanding with how Tier 1 works and etc. Nancy clarified it in her recent update, so lemme just run this down.

My claim began 06/14/09, I took all the money I could get every 2 weeks, which puts me ahead of the deadline to apply for EUC (though not by much. Either dead on or 1 week ahead of the expiration.)

So I'll get EUC Tier 1 for 20 weeks once my regular benefits expire in mid-December.

After that I'm pretty much screwed (For now.). Tiers 2, 3 and 4 will all have expired while I'm still on Tier 1 (unless they extend the deadlines, which are currently set for late December 09) and EB will be gone, as well, from what I can see (unless they extend that as well.)

Even so. I should count my blessing. I claim tomorrow, I claim December 1, and I claim December 15. Then I go on EUC Tier 1 (automatically?) for 20 weeks.

And then in May of '10 or thereabout I'll either be eligible for something (if they extend some of these other tiers/EB), or nothing. With the deadlines as is, I would be eligible for nothing after Tier 1.

Correct?

InsuranceMan

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:24 am

InsuranceMan--

You got it--as long as you can qualify for Tier 1 before the end of December you are essentially "locked in" for that Tier, but no others until they extend the dates. That would seem likely within that 20-week timeframe, but you never know for sure until it happens.

Since you say your end of regular benefits is close to the deadline, I would definitely verify your end dates with AWI and also whether the transition is automatic or if you have to do anything. I think it's automatic, but frankly, that was so long ago for me that I don't remember! Smile
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  InsuranceMan Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:53 pm

It's not that close.

It's one week ahead. To get onto EUC Tier 1 you have to exhaust your regular benefits by week ending 12/19.

My last 2-week claim will occur on 12/15 for the 2 weeks ending 12/12 (And technically I don't even have enough money in my account even for that. Only have 967 left now, and each 2-week period subtracts 494+44 from the balance.)

So I'm actually a week ahead, or a little bit more than a week ahead.

I can't ever get through to AWI by phone. For now I still have about a month of regular benefits left, so I'll email them, and If anyone knows for sure if regular benefits automatically switch over to EUC Tier 1 (or not), post it here.

InsuranceMan

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:02 pm

Sounds like you're "safe," but better safe than sorry when comes to verifying all that with AWI. I assume that $44 is two weeks of the extra $25 per week minus taxes? FYI, that amount is separate from your account balance. So whatever calculations you make, do not include those $25 amounts in how your account balance reduces.

I assume you have tried all the AWI numbers from the AWI contact numbers section on this forum? From what I'm told these particular people return calls on messages left, but at this time they're probably all deluged with phone calls. There's also an email contact on the home page of the AWI site: http://www.floridajobs.org/applications/contactus/default.aspx

Might take a while for an answer, but I have had replies from that route.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  InsuranceMan Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:19 pm

Even if I don't add in the additional $25 per week, I still only have $967 worth of credits to last for 2 more claims of 2 weeks each at $494 per claim.(one on 12/1 and one on 12/15).

494 times 2 is 988, not 967. So I'm still under. My claim is going to be exhausted with the claim on 12/15 for the 2 weeks ending 12/12. I don't see how it could not be that way. It's not logical.

Anyway, I emailed AWI this. Will post response when I get it. Sorry for the caps. The email verification I got of my inquiry had it all in caps.

MY BENEFIT YEAR BEGAN ON 06/14/09.

PROVIDED I REMAIN UNEMPLOYED, MY "CREDITS" FOR REGULAR BENEFITS (26 WEEKS) WILL APPEAR TO HAVE EXHAUSTED WHEN I "CLAIM MY WEEKS" ON 12/15/09 FOR THE 2-WEEK PERIOD ENDING 12/12.

QUESTIONS:

1. IS THIS CALCULATION CORRECT? IF IT IS NOT CORRECT, DID I MISS THE CURRENTLY SET DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION FOR EUC?

2. WILL MY CLAIM *AUTOMATICALLY* ENTER EUC TIER 1 FOR 20 WEEKS WHEN MY REGULAR BENEFITS ARE EXHAUSTED, OR WILL I NEED TO APPLY?

3. IS THERE ANYTHING I NEED TO DO TO ENSURE A SMOOTH TRANSITION FROM REGULAR UC TO TIER 1 EUC IN DECEMBER?

SORRY TO BOTHER YOU GUYS. I KNOW YOU ARE VERY BUSY. IT'S JUST MY REGULAR BENEFITS ARE ENDING RIGHT AROUND CHRISTMAS IF I'M STILL UNEMPLOYED AT THAT POINT, AND A MAJOR DELAY WOULD BE VERY INCONVENIENT. AND NOW THAT IT'S ONLY ABOUT A MONTH PRIOR I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO ASK SO I KNOW FOR SURE WHERE I STAND.

InsuranceMan

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:24 pm

InsuranceMan--Please understand that I'm not trying to make you more anxious than you might already be by my replies. It's just a caution we've all developed here in never underestimating how we can be surprised about some circumstance with AWI that we couldn't anticipate, logical or not. None of us work for AWI here of course, so we don't want to make our opinions sound like an official determination. We even have a disclaimer on the site that our opinions are not legal advice, and just state a precaution to get the last word from AWI whenever possible.

And, BTW, this thread is WAY off-topic for this individual case. Your post, and my replies, should have been posted under either ongoing regular claims, or rather more appropriately, the Latest News thread UIO set up for EUC claims. I'll leave these posts here for now so you can view the latest reply. But I may move these last few over there so we don't have multiple threads about the same thing. This thread we try to keep for general guidelines and announcement, though that may not be obvious to everyone. Smile
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:17 pm

thanks nancy Very Happy
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

https://unemployed-florida.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

FL sequence of unemployment benefits - Page 2 Empty SEE FIRST POST IN THIS THREAD

Post  nancym Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:37 am

Anyone looking for new information on the Florida sequence of unemployment benefits or who is confused about eligibility, please read my first post in this thread, which is completely revised and updated for benefits in Florida under current law as of 12/1/09--and again updated on 12/19/2009 with the passage of HR 3326:

https://unemployed-florida.forumotion.com/senate-bills-state-policies-federal-initiatives-f6/fl-sequence-of-unemployment-benefits-t22.htm#175

If you still have questions about your individual case after reading that post, please use one of the other threads under the "Latest News" section or whichever thread is appropriate for your question.

Last edited by nancym on Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 12/19/09 update after passage of HR 3326 with new cutoff dates)
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  joeandnadya Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:02 am

My claim ran out in Augest with 2,000 left in the account. My year was up and they said not to extend but to open a new claim it will last longer. The old clain I was getting 255 the new claim 204.
My new claim started with 3000 in the account. I get 204 a week and that gives me only 15 weeks until it is gone. Was it the right thing to open a new claim?

joeandnadya

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:10 am

joeandnadya wrote:My claim ran out in Augest with 2,000 left in the account. My year was up and they said not to extend but to open a new claim it will last longer. The old clain I was getting 255 the new claim 204.
My new claim started with 3000 in the account. I get 204 a week and that gives me only 15 weeks until it is gone. Was it the right thing to open a new claim?

Wow! What an interesting question! And I'm surprised they actually gave you a choice, thought they put you in a new benefit year as long as they saw that you qualified.

Anyway, when do your regular benefits exhaust, exactly? This month? That would give you access to Tier 1, which is max 20 weeks, but in your case I would guess around 11 weeks? If Tier 1 runs out prior to Feb 28, that would give you eligibility to Tier 2, which is 14 more weeks max, or in your percentage probably around 8 weeks, guessing.

Beyond that, it depends on whether Congress will extend the Feb 28 deadline again so that more people like you will be able to access the other Tiers. I'll leave you to do the rest of the math, but whether you got the "best deal" depends on whether you can get access to the other Tiers with new legislation, but offhand I'd say this was the safest road.

Of course, if you get a job soon, you have to consider that you were out that extra $50 bucks all those months. But if you're having as hard a time finding work as the rest of us, I would guess you might be better off with those extra weeks and future possibilities. The rest of us who got all the tiers are now facing an absolute end to all benefits as of the end of March, or even earlier than that for many, unless Congress actually gives more additional weeks, not just extensions of deadlines, and that seems sort of unlikely in the very near future. We have to see what's going to be in the big jobs bill in this next session. Hopefully actual jobs, not just benefit weeks.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

FL sequence of unemployment benefits - Page 2 Empty just another question

Post  gloriie Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:11 am

After tier 4 runs out i understand there are no more tiers is that when i apply for EB? i was told EB is no longer existent??? any information would be greatly appreciated

gloriie

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:23 pm

gloriie wrote:After tier 4 runs out i understand there are no more tiers is that when i apply for EB? i was told EB is no longer existent??? any information would be greatly appreciated

If you haven't read the first post in this thread where I updated the sequence of benefits info, you'll find there that EB was discontinued at the start of the new EUC tier last fall. There are no new EB programs; those are a state-federal provision and we had them for only last year because of the way the state legislature wrote the law for using federal funds from the stimulus bill for only 2009. If you never got EB in 2009, call you state legislators to see if there's any chance in (insert euphemism here) that they will vote for a new EB benefits program due to the outrageous unemployment rate we now have.

But since that body is Republican-controlled and we had to fight tooth and nail to get the benefits we eventually did (plus almost three months to implement the law by AWI), it seems very doubtful they would do such a thing when they are all now complaining about the higher unemployment taxes that they had to impose on employers to pay for our current mountain of benefits. So I personally would not expect any change anytime soon.

I suppose there's a remote hope, but I wouldn't count on our state legislature for much help right now. Call and find out; if something's in the pipeline, please let us know.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

FL sequence of unemployment benefits - Page 2 Empty FL REGULAR state benefits running out feb 27th. Was my deadline feb 20th?

Post  gknowles Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:27 pm

I'm getting conflicting information, currently I am NOT on any Tier- I'm on regular state benefits and my funds exhaust Feb 27th. When I call unemployment - they say I am OK- but when I emailed AWI - they say no - that I will miss the deadline by one week and therefore I am out of luck and will not move on to Tier1.

Do you have any idea who I should believe at this point?

gknowles

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:50 pm

gknowles wrote:I'm getting conflicting information, currently I am NOT on any Tier- I'm on regular state benefits and my funds exhaust Feb 27th. When I call unemployment - they say I am OK- but when I emailed AWI - they say no - that I will miss the deadline by one week and therefore I am out of luck and will not move on to Tier1.

Do you have any idea who I should believe at this point?

Sometimes the language of these bills and the discussion can be confusing when it comes to exact dates, and I'm not quite sure exactly how AWI is handling individual cases that are right up against the edge of this deadline. The unemployment department IS AWI, so I don't know why you are getting mixed signals. But I personally don't trust the email, since those are sometimes handled by low-level call center people who only know how to answer general questions, and not always acurately.

If you say your benefits end Feb 27, I assume you mean that you would be claiming the week ending Feb 27 on the following Monday or Tuesday. I would think that would be allowed since the cutoff is Feb 28, but I'm not sure. If you talk to one of the reliable contacts here under AWI Contacts, like Melody or Cassandra, they should be able to give you a concrete answer. Sometimes there's just a few bucks left in your account or something weird like that which can put your claim over into a new week. Or they may be interpreting the law to prohibit any actual claims after Feb 28, not sure.

In the long run though, I don't think you'll have to worry about not getting benefits, but you may worry about a delay in those benefits. You'll have to watch very closely what's going on in Congress with the Senate jobs bill and the deadline extension talked about in connection with that. The assumption is that they will pass something soon, but we don't know exactly when. And there may be several separate bills that address jobs and benefits this session. The Senate has a passed House bill HR 2847 on its agenda, but they are coming up with their own version of that package that may result in a different set of provisions. But most certainly they will pass some kind of deadline extension. You are one of over a million jobless who are depending on that extension of the deadline.

Update same day: Come to think of it, if I'm not mistaken the state is required to mail out letters to those who will be cut off from benefits in two weeks. With the mail sometimes taking so long lately that may be small consolation, but if you don't get one of those letters it may further confirm that you'll continue with benefits. But I would call one of those recommended contact people to make sure, if you haven't already done that.

Last edited by nancym on Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added info about letter)
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

FL sequence of unemployment benefits - Page 2 Empty Thank you Nancy

Post  gknowles Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:07 pm

Thank you for the comprehensive and consice reply. It calmed me down a lot and I will try those AWI contacts. I have not received a cut-off letter - however I do usually receive my "reminder to claim weeks" letter a week after the claim date...LOL...reminding me to eat, etc....I thought I had the puzzle together in my mind - you helped A LOT. And I guess I need to deal with the stress of being in a possible gray area here computer wise...etc. I have sent letters to our reps and hope others are as well and that something happens this session. Good Luck everyone.

gknowles

Back to top Go down

FL sequence of unemployment benefits - Page 2 Empty Running out of initial 26 weeks benefits in FL

Post  gknowles Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:54 pm

Well I finally got the folks at unemployment 1-800 number to agree with what Cassandra said - that NO, I will not automatically be in Tier 1. My sad story is that I will not exhaust funds by Feb 20th. (Instead I do on Feb 28th). So, I'm on US Senate watch. I'm assuming that an extension will pass and just hoping I don't fall in the cracks somewhere. By the way, I had to call 4 times to get the correct answer to match the contacts your site suggested. Noone wanted to tell me the truth....yep...I can't wait to get back to work in FL. Wish me Luck....not in a great space just right now.

gknowles

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:51 pm

Good luck, gknowles. Most of us are in some stage of panic about now; those of us on Tier 3-4 are with little hope that we'll have any more benefits whatsoever. But we just learned that Harry Reid took the extension of deadlines out of that awful and ineffectual jobs bill that was recently posted as a draft version, over-riding Baucus's committee. That may seem like bad news for you, but Reid wanted more support for jobs and the unemployed, not just a token of help in a bill that had a bunch of unrelated things in it. So while this may delay the extension of benefits a bit, most likely leaving some kind of gap before you get to Tier 1, in my mind it may be more hopeful for us all in that they plan to deal with unemployment extensions in an entirely separate bill. That's to me a more sensible way to approach it, and maybe a glimmer of hope that they can add a Tier 5 or equivalent. (Don't anybody get their hopes up too high on what I just said!)

There are already more than 1.2 million people in your shoes right now, and more coming down the pike. By the end of April I roughly calculate there will be about 3 million without any benefits at all, even if they passed an extension of deadlines tomorrow. There are only so many millions Congress can ignore all at once, if not for humanitarian reasons, at least for the drag on the economy!
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

FL sequence of unemployment benefits - Page 2 Empty New Benifit Year and Sequence of Claim

Post  mrvc_fan Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:47 pm

I got a letter from AWI that I quallify (eligible) to claim during the new benifit year from 05/23/10 to 05/23/11. It will be only for 13 weeks at a reducced amount of $238.00
Then i received a letter just today asking me to make the claim 06/15/10 on the new regular benifit. However I'm in the middle of EUC tier 2 and I already made a claim on 06/15/10. This is confusing. It is my understanding that the regular benift for the new regular unemployment benifit year will be paid only after i exhaust all the EUC tiers. Can someone please explain how this really works. Thanks in advance.

mrvc_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:49 am

mrvc_fan wrote:I got a letter from AWI that I quallify (eligible) to claim during the new benifit year from 05/23/10 to 05/23/11. It will be only for 13 weeks at a reducced amount of $238.00
Then i received a letter just today asking me to make the claim 06/15/10 on the new regular benifit. However I'm in the middle of EUC tier 2 and I already made a claim on 06/15/10. This is confusing. It is my understanding that the regular benift for the new regular unemployment benifit year will be paid only after i exhaust all the EUC tiers. Can someone please explain how this really works. Thanks in advance.

The system checks automatically every quarter (3 months) to see if you qualify for a new benefit year. This is based on credits earned for UI from any work done etc. If you have a new claim they you will forfeit the last claim and move to the new one. I had this happen July 2009 and went from the 275/wk to 87/wk. It is very unfortunate and I feel your pain but this is how it works Crying or Very sad
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

Back to top Go down

FL sequence of unemployment benefits - Page 2 Empty How about EUC benifit

Post  mrvc_fan Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:17 am

I'm in the middle of EUC Tier 2. If they start me on the new benifit year what happens once i exhaust all the regualar benifit. Will they continue from Tier 2 and pay me Tier 3 and 4 or start all over again with Tier 1. Thanks for the response in advance

mrvc_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:50 pm

mrvc_fan wrote:I'm in the middle of EUC Tier 2. If they start me on the new benifit year what happens once i exhaust all the regualar benifit. Will they continue from Tier 2 and pay me Tier 3 and 4 or start all over again with Tier 1. Thanks for the response in advance

On a new claim year it would start fresh, however since they have yet to pass another extension of federal tier eligibility, you would be unable to move towards the new tier 1. Best case scenario is that you would exhaust that new regular claim and then go back and finish the tier 2 on the older claim. This is what happened to me last year. If the feds extend the date to november then you would then go back to the new claim tier 1 and so forth until tier 4. Hope this helps
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next