Unemployed Florida

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unemployed Florida
Unemployed Florida
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible

+36
InsuranceMan
connorsgp
Me From Jax
sharonB
LJ
cherylrose
Hoppy
Jacqui
Judy
aiden lee
frustratedinfl
John in Orlando
grandmom49
michellebailey
nelsong
nachomama
jim stratton
MiamiVice
ddee2026
Jeff
Tampa Bay - Anna
Maggi MIami
fred
kittyg59
Robbi314
flandar
tj21121008
waybol
hsd
GonzoFL
help
daytonawanda
SaraJ
nancym
Unemployed In Orlando
sc4ram
40 posters

Page 18 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18

Go down

Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible - Page 18 Empty AWI application for benefits prior to 11/07/2009

Post  hating politics Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:59 pm

Where is the application? I did not find it.

hating politics

Back to top Go down

Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible - Page 18 Empty Re: Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible

Post  GonzoFL Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:28 pm

grandmom49 wrote:I don't know if my situation is unique but I just claimed for wks ending 11/07 & 11/14. I had to certify that I wished to process the claim & enter work search info for 11/07 but not for 11/14. The week ending 11/14 processed after entering answers to the standard 4 questions about being available, looking, not refusing any work and not earning any wages. So it appears that I have been transitioned to EUC3 and will not be paid EB benefits for the last portion of my remaining EB balance. I have a virtual job fair in a little while and will contact State Senator Dwayne Taylor when that is over.

grandmom49:

It appears that user "seahorse" ran into a like situation.

Only asked for one week of work search results

Post seahorse Today at 7:48 am
+
----
-
I just filed for 11.7 & 11.14 weeks. For some reason, it only asked for my search results for week of 11/7. When I filed 11/14, it was the same as it used to be with regular claims - didn't ask me anything about search results. I called to make sure the weeks would be processed, and the nice rep, Donna, told me it shows both weeks got processed & she hadn't heard of that happening. She said they may mail me a paper form to fill out those weeks. I asked if I could do it with her on the phone, but she said once it's processed in their system, she couldn't add anything. Also, strangely enough, for the first time when I called today, at first I got the typical "please try your call agin later click", but when I called back, I was sent to hold music, and a message saying to please wait & a representative will be with me shortly. Is AWI upgrading their system finally, or will these changes affect receiving benefits? Chances are I won't get anything they mail out since I am not living at my present address for the next few weeks due to family issues. I have heard that the post office is prohibited from forwarding AWI paperwork, even if all other mail is being sent to the address where I'm staying now. I am concerned if they do mail a paper out requesting the search results for the week of 11.14 that it doesn't raise a red flag if the letter is not forwarded but rather gets sent back to them. i imagine that could be a huge issue. Any advice, or anyone have the same thing happen where they only asked for work search results from one of the two claimed weeks?
Thanks in advance!
GonzoFL
GonzoFL

Back to top Go down

Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible - Page 18 Empty Re: Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible

Post  waybol Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:04 pm

hating politics wrote:Where is the application? I did not find it.
The application is for EB which has always been there.Not sure if it is any good to anyone since they are saying the ECU III will override it anyways.

waybol

Back to top Go down

Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible - Page 18 Empty Regarding the switch from EB to EUC, and those missing work search questions

Post  nancym Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:12 pm

IMPORTANT NOTICE about EB vs. EUC:

This applies to anyone on EB, about to go on EB, or who exhausted EB after Nov 8. I believe that applies to Gonzo, grandmom, seahorse, and I don't know how many others on this forum. I believe I have some answers to this whole "EB switcheroo" question, after speaking to several people in Tallahassee yesterday and today. The last person I spoke with was pretty experienced in this whole process and seemed actually sympathetic, but he also explained some facts that I don't think we can fight under current law in Florida. You're not going to like most of this, because it's one of those things that doesn't seem to make common sense, but does make legal sense.

First, let me note that I clearly argued the points to these people that cutting EB benefits in Florida in the way they were was essentially, in effect, sabotaging the purpose of the recently passed Congressional legislation, and also was sabotaging any efforts by the federal govt and their own agencies to get people into training and education programs because of these shortened benefit periods and the accompanying uncertainties about consistent benefits. It even sabotages another part of the same bill that is an attempt to stimulate the housing market, yet who knows how many extra foreclosures there might be in early 2010 because of some who would not get up to two months extra benefits.

This is where the state of Florida stands, and in a way, is stuck with the particular wording of the legislation that was passed last spring (how could we forget SB 810!). Essentially the state law defines and "exhaustee" in a particular way that requires the state look at each week of status in determining whether that person is going to get EB or EUC. Apparently the wording has been ruled on by General Counsel, in fear of repercussions from the Auditor General. Even though the wording of HR 3548 allows for a continuation of EB if it has been started by one week, apparently that federal option cannot overrule a specific state legal definition that was passed earlier this year.

So the result is this seemingly arbitrary, but apparently well argued out technical legal matter (the person I spoke with argued against this as well, but he is not an attorney and did not prevail) that concludes that as of Nov 8 everyone had to be switched over to EUC, no matter what would be the best choice for that individual. (And another part of law is that everyone's account has to be handled in the same way in regard to this matter.)

So--those people who wondered why they weren't asked about their work search records for the week after Nov 8, it's because, as grandmom pointed out, you are now all on EUC Tier 3. You no longer have any right to EB; in fact, because of the way the law was written, EB is essentially dead as of Nov 8 for everyone, and there are no pickups later on in 2010 because the last payment date was set at Jan 2 anyway. AND the legislature is not scheduled to meet til March, so forget about any state action on this any time soon. What about an emergency session? We can conclude that our current state legislators have not fought too hard for the unemployed in the past, as a whole, so that's not likely now.

After speaking with this man today, I can honestly say that I don't think even those legislators last spring saw this coming; I don't think they could anticipate just how this particular legal wording would result in cutting short EB at this point. In fact, how many of us would have thought, back in April, that we all would still be unemployed at this point? Not me, for one.

The only small blessings that those of you that are subject to this early termination of EB have are:

1) You don't have to wait til god knows when like the rest of us to get EUC Tier 3 in December sometime; you're EUC should continue with little or no interruption at all. So you get your money sooner, just for fewer weeks than you might have thought.

2) You no longer have to report those work search records directly when certifying. (You are still obligated to keep up a work search record, but it's not those strict reporting requirements of EB anymore.)

3) You don't have to worry about applying for EUC Tier 3 or missing the deadline before the cutoff at the end of December. You are locked in the full Tier 3 starting Nov 8, which would take you to Feb 13 if you are entitled to the max number of benefit weeks. If you are among those who get only a percentage of those weeks, and if that causes you to exhaust your EUC Tier 3 before Dec 31, then you will automatically be put on the extra weeks for Tier 4.

Those are the "consolation prizes," I'm sorry to say. But in the big picture I think we all know that after whatever measly weeks we got or didn't get, there would probably be another big hassle in Congress to get further extensions, more delays, more suffering in the abscence of jobs. I don't know how we get out of this mess until Congress, the state legislators, the public, and the President fully and completely realize that this is an ongoing national emergency of enormous proportions, a danger to our national security in fact, and drastic measures of some kind are in order.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  grandmom49 Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:24 pm

Just checked claim & payment information for myself on fluidnow.com and it shows a 2wk benefit being issued today and the balance shown is what was left in my EB benefit amount. My next date to claim is 12/01 & I guess I will have to wait to see if they are going to pay that balance & then send out the Determination letter for EUC3 with that amount deducted or if they will update my account and allow a full 2 wks again next time.

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

Post  GonzoFL Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:06 pm

I have exactly 2 weeks of benefits(EB.....or the benefit formally known as EB) in my account which I will claim on Nov.23rd..... unless it changes between now and then. Thanks Nancy for the update,not the best news in the world,but it was expected. I guess I will have to visit the congressional coffee shop and steal $600 worth of sugar packets to recoup my loss...har har! jocolor
GonzoFL
GonzoFL

Back to top Go down

Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible - Page 18 Empty NY Times: Congress Must Act to Extend Deadline

Post  dplboc Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:29 pm

A very good article in today's NEW YORK TIMES regarding the expiration of benefits that we all know is coming at the end of the year, and how it will affect the new benefits just passed this month:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/19/us/19unemploy.html?hp

dplboc

Back to top Go down

Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible - Page 18 Empty NELP PRESS RELEASE NOV 18, 2009

Post  JJ in Florida Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:46 pm

Hello All:

I am a newbie on this website. Hope I am posting this under the right topic.

http://nelp.3cdn.net/596480c76efd6ef8e3_pjm6bhepv.pdf

JJ in FLORIDA

Last edited by JJ in Florida on Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo in subject)

JJ in Florida

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppy Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:58 pm

Hello all, my computer was in for repair since Sunday and I just got it back! Talk about withdrawal! I was able to sign for my benefits on Tuesday 17th using a friends computer. As I've seen grandma and others here say they only had to provide job search info for one week, that was all I was asked for too. But this was only my second time signing for EB (the first time they didn't ask at all) and the first time I had to provide job search info they only asked for one week then too. So when it happened again Tuesday, I didn't think anything of it until tonight when I read all the posts here.

I checked my balance tonight and it was the same as it was under EB, so I guess they will adjust the balance after all the programming is have been completed. And, you're right Nancy, I am happy that I won't have to wait until sometime in December to get the benefits that so many others are waiting for.

After reading the NYT article posted by dplboc I guess we all have to hope that Congress makes some time before the end of the year to extend the benefits or the entire country of unemployed people will be up the creek. Thanks, Nancy, for your informative posts.
Hoppy
Hoppy

Back to top Go down

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:25 pm

dplboc wrote:A very good article in today's NEW YORK TIMES regarding the expiration of benefits that we all know is coming at the end of the year, and how it will affect the new benefits just passed this month:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/19/us/19unemploy.html?hp

Well, they "sorta" had it right lol!
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

https://unemployed-florida.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Fall 2009 Unemployment Extension Possible - Page 18 Empty TJ21121008

Post  tj21121008 Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:11 pm

WHY ARE THESE DATES IN NOVEMBER????????????????????THE COMMENTS I MEAN scratch
tj21121008
tj21121008

Back to top Go down

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:17 pm

tj21121008 wrote:WHY ARE THESE DATES IN NOVEMBER????????????????????THE COMMENTS I MEAN scratch

Uhm, because thats when were discussing the past EUC extension? If your looking for discussion on the newly past eligibility extension or any new notice of another tier then look in the 2010 thread Wink
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

https://unemployed-florida.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 18 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18