Unemployed Florida

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unemployed Florida
Unemployed Florida
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion

+40
Steve_
Garys1n2
Liz
UnemployedInFL
pyrox
UEINFL
frustratedinfl
needajob
fred
studioWI
TruthbeKnown
waybol
enrique2010
Robbi314
shartee
cantfindajob
sharonB
deetann
JJ in Florida
DisneyDean
joseph
Robyn
tj21121008
Tampa Bay - Anna
hor2culture
SaraJ
gknowles
daytonaman
Sheila
MiamiVice
Unemployed In Orlando
GonzoFL
sc4ram
Hoppy
Me From Jax
grandmom49
Jeff
connorsgp
Michael55
nancym
44 posters

Page 13 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20 ... 27  Next

Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 13 Empty WHAT DOES IT MEAN?

Post  Michael55 Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:22 am

Enrique asks if the latest passed bill [from NELP's latest email] includes those whose tiers will end in March.

I ASK if it will do away with the previous cut-off date of April 5 - will those whose tier 3 [or whatever] expires AFTER April 5 now be allowed to move into tier 4 [or whatever]? And is "99 Weeks" STILL the "maximum" total benefits available?
It is so nice of those folks to work on Our behalf & to let Us know the latest legislative info, but I wish that they could make it clear(er) about how it will specifically apply...

Also, if they did, that might prevent Nancy, & that cat with the UKentucky logo, & others, from having to always explain everything to everyone on this website...
Michael55
Michael55

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 13 Empty Extension until 12/31/10

Post  daytonaman Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:47 am

Michael55 wrote:Enrique asks if the latest passed bill [from NELP's latest email] includes those whose tiers will end in March.

I ASK if it will do away with the previous cut-off date of April 5 - will those whose tier 3 [or whatever] expires AFTER April 5 now be allowed to move into tier 4 [or whatever]? And is "99 Weeks" STILL the "maximum" total benefits available?
It is so nice of those folks to work on Our behalf & to let Us know the latest legislative info, but I wish that they could make it clear(er) about how it will specifically apply...

Also, if they did, that might prevent Nancy, & that cat with the UKentucky logo, & others, from having to always explain everything to everyone on this website...

Whatever tier you are on, you have until Dec 31 this year to move into your next tier.

No new tiers or additional weeks have been added, the MAX weeks is still 99
daytonaman
daytonaman

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 13 Empty Florida Unemplyment rate ties & breaks records

Post  daytonaman Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:32 am

Florida's unemployment rate hits 11.9% seasonally adjusted that ties the 1975 record, the non seasonal rate breaks records at 12.2%. The Individual county rates are even worse for most, Central Florida, Flagler County at 17.1% highest in the state, and with 7000 jobs set to be cut in Brevard County in coming months, Finding a job in Florida keeps getting harder & harder.

For those of us who have exhausted all benefit tiers and EB, call or fax senators, representatives and let them know how badly it is needed as unemployment continues to rise.

http://www.floridajobs.org/publications/news_rel/LMS%20Release%2003-10-10.pdf
daytonaman
daytonaman

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 13 Empty Re: New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:07 am

Michael55 wrote:Enrique asks if the latest passed bill [from NELP's latest email] includes those whose tiers will end in March.

Yeah it can be difficult to understand everything. The latest bill takes the EUC through the end of the year, so that those who have exhausted on tier 4 can still receive those federal funded benefits. It also extends the $25 per week extra from the feds, which would have expired also. Im not as good as Nancy and Gonzo, but I dont mind helping trying to decipher these bills as this was the reason I created this site Very Happy A place where people could share information and stories that could help benefit others. cheers
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

https://unemployed-florida.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 13 Empty Re: New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion

Post  GonzoFL Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:17 pm

Your right UIO,it is hard to interpret all that's been going on with this bill. Even NELP's articles can be vague and misleading(after all,NELP is comprised mostly of lawyers). In a nutshell,what this bill has done is buy time for some of the unemployed. If your still on regular benefits,it bought quite a bit of time. If your on one of the lower tiers,the bill enables you to advance to the next tier. Mind you,the advancement to the next tier must be started before the cut off date....which I believe is now in Dec 2010. So,to some this was a God send...to others it was a kick to the lower regions. Once you have exhausted tier4....game over (for now anyway)...oh...you could get some EB if the State cheated you in November(appx 15,000 lucky Floridians)
The senate bill that passed yesterday now goes back to the House,where as far as I know,amendments can be added and so on. I think now would be a good time to start hammering the House of Rep's and see if we can't pluck on their heart strings a little. The State of Florida is in terrible shape. Out of 67 counties,57 of them sit at an unemployment rate of 10% or higher. Only 2 counties out of the 67 have a rate below 8.5%. Citrus County,where I reside,now has the 6th worse rate of unemployment in Florida. The counties to the north and east of me are just as bad if not worse....seems I am caught in the Devils Triangle of Unemployment.
There are no jobs in this area(unless your a doctor,nurse or physical therapist). If any openings do appear,I am either over qualified or way under qualified. Over qualified? Is that the new phrasing of "your to freaking old"? 25% of the unemployed in this country are between the ages of 45 and 54,which is exactly where I am. For us 99'ers,we are in a bit of a pickle. Allot of use fall into that 45-54 class and many of us are watching or tier4 trickle away. We need a tier 5 to survive(good t-shirt logo idea). this is going to be an interesting year....to say the least. confused
GonzoFL
GonzoFL

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppy Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:33 pm

Gonzo--Once you have exhausted tier4....game over (for now anyway)...oh...you could get some EB if the State cheated you in November(appx 15,000 lucky Floridians)

I was 'cheated' out of 15 weeks of EB in November when Tier III was signed into law. I called AWI on Tuesday (couldn't reach Melody so I spoke with a 'generic' customer rep). I explained, blah blah blah. He said, "No, you can't claim EB because Florida's EB program ended on January 2, 2010".

I also emailed NELP asking this question and they emailed me back yesterday. Here's the email answer:

We have recently learned that Florida's EB program has expired. So, if residents had not previously collected EB they could not do so after the expiration date. This new legislation looks like it reinstates the program for those that have not collected EB yet and only for 8 weeks. It is our understanding that you would only be entitled to 8 weeks if the legislation passes, not 15.

So what's the REAL story here?
Hoppy
Hoppy

Back to top Go down

Post  GonzoFL Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:50 pm

From what I have read Hoppy....8 weeks is the max. This is from the AWI web site:

EB
This week Governor Crist signed a law that extended Florida’s Extended Benefits (EB) program until February 27, 2010 for certain eligible unemployed workers who had exhausted all state and EUC benefits.

* The agency is notifying potentially eligible Floridians by mail. This includes those who received EB prior to November 8, 2009 but still have EB available on their claims after exhausting EUC Tiers III and IV.

* Payments for up to eight weeks will be made retroactively.

* Those who believe they may be eligible for EB may apply online beginning March 9, 2010 at www.floridajobs.org or by mail or fax using the application they will receive from the agency.
GonzoFL
GonzoFL

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:21 pm

GonzoFL wrote:Your right UIO,it is hard to interpret all that's been going on with this bill. Even NELP's articles can be vague and misleading(after all,NELP is comprised mostly of lawyers). In a nutshell,what this bill has done is buy time for some of the unemployed. If your still on regular benefits,it bought quite a bit of time. If your on one of the lower tiers,the bill enables you to advance to the next tier. Mind you,the advancement to the next tier must be started before the cut off date....which I believe is now in Dec 2010. So,to some this was a God send...to others it was a kick to the lower regions. Once you have exhausted tier4....game over (for now anyway)...oh...you could get some EB if the State cheated you in November(appx 15,000 lucky Floridians)
The senate bill that passed yesterday now goes back to the House,where as far as I know,amendments can be added and so on. I think now would be a good time to start hammering the House of Rep's and see if we can't pluck on their heart strings a little. The State of Florida is in terrible shape. Out of 67 counties,57 of them sit at an unemployment rate of 10% or higher. Only 2 counties out of the 67 have a rate below 8.5%. Citrus County,where I reside,now has the 6th worse rate of unemployment in Florida. The counties to the north and east of me are just as bad if not worse....seems I am caught in the Devils Triangle of Unemployment.
There are no jobs in this area(unless your a doctor,nurse or physical therapist). If any openings do appear,I am either over qualified or way under qualified. Over qualified? Is that the new phrasing of "your to freaking old"? 25% of the unemployed in this country are between the ages of 45 and 54,which is exactly where I am. For us 99'ers,we are in a bit of a pickle. Allot of use fall into that 45-54 class and many of us are watching or tier4 trickle away. We need a tier 5 to survive(good t-shirt logo idea). this is going to be an interesting year....to say the least. confused

Similar boat here GonzoFl. 58 years old, 40 years in construction which is dead in my area. No responses to job apps.End of Tier4 on the horizon....sheer cliff. Emailed Reid, Pelosi, Brown-Waite and Nelson yesterday asking for another Tier.

Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  grandmom49 Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:37 pm

I really think it is time we get nasty. All of us 50 or older who have been asked to submit resumes for positions for we were well qualified and never heard from the hiring managers again need to file age discrimination complaints with EEOC.
Either that or the government must set up some kind of early retirement unemployment program. It will cost the government & the offending employers $$$ to investigate, prosecute and defend against the complaints. I know positively of 3 jobs which were filled in my area that went to less experienced (& much younger ) applicants even though the job specifications were duplications of the description of the job I held for 8 years. I was laid off in June 2008 along with hundreds of other employees because my employer was forced to downsize due to the economy.

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppy Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:40 pm

GonzoFL wrote:From what I have read Hoppy....8 weeks is the max. This is from the AWI web site:

EB
This week Governor Crist signed a law that extended Florida’s Extended Benefits (EB) program until February 27, 2010 for certain eligible unemployed workers who had exhausted all state and EUC benefits.

* The agency is notifying potentially eligible Floridians by mail. This includes those who received EB prior to November 8, 2009 but still have EB available on their claims after exhausting EUC Tiers III and IV.

* Payments for up to eight weeks will be made retroactively.

* Those who believe they may be eligible for EB may apply online beginning March 9, 2010 at www.floridajobs.org or by mail or fax using the application they will receive from the agency.

Thanks, Gonzo, I know it's 8 weeks max. What I don't understand is the govenor signed on March 1 or 2 but made the expiration date February 27?!?!?!?! And ..."This includes those who received EB prior to November 8, 2009 but still have EB available on their claims after exhausting EUC Tiers III and IV." I will exhaust IV March 23. So is this saying I would have had to exhaust IV by February 27 in order to get the 8 weeks of EB??

This is so damn confusing!

BTW, I've got you all beat in the age department! I was 62 when I was laid off July 13, 2008 from what I thought was my "last" job! I just turned 64 last month! had to start my SS benefits early so I'm receiving much less then I would have if I could have worked to 66 yrs. old. Needless to say, I have had no luck whatsoever looking for work! I'm on the edge of the cliff and slipping!

Last edited by Hoppy on Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add a BTW)
Hoppy
Hoppy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:02 pm

"So is this saying I would have had to exhaust IV by February 27 in order to get the 8 weeks of EB??" (Hoppy)

Unfortunately yes. I missed the cutoff date as well. I guess it's a funding issue, where moving the cutoff date adds more people and busts their budget?? Sad

Jeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppy Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:13 pm

Jeff wrote:Unfortunately yes. I missed the cutoff date as well. I guess it's a funding issue, where moving the cutoff date adds more people and busts their budget?? Sad

Jeff, I'm sorry to hear you missed the cutoff date too. There must not be very many people who qualify for that 8 weeks! At least I have something coming in with the SS but I'm here to tell you, you can't live on it! I still need to work. Tuesday I wrote to all those Senators too. God help us all!
Hoppy
Hoppy

Back to top Go down

Post  GonzoFL Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:12 pm

Hoppy and Jeff,

Sorry you guy's missed out. It was a very narrow window of opportunity to say the least. It leaves little wonder why only about 15,000 Floridians were possible candidates. Let's hope our friends in Washington(hard to say that with a straight face) can get us some additional weeks soon. Viva the revolution and Viva Tier 5 to stay alive!! Smile
GonzoFL
GonzoFL

Back to top Go down

Post  connorsgp Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:43 pm

Hey Hoppy, as long as we're all "fessin" up I'm 66 almost 67 laid off last Feb and have about a zero chance--not for a job--just an interview. I honestly can't see the Feds extending to a Tier 5 unless the numbers remain static or go up on unemployment. With the Nov elections these Senators and Congressmen and women get cold feet.....

connorsgp

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppy Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:34 am

connorsgp Hey Hoppy, as long as we're all "fessin" up I'm 66 almost 67 laid off last Feb and have about a zero chance--not for a job--just an interview. I honestly can't see the Feds extending to a Tier 5 unless the numbers remain static or go up on unemployment. With the Nov elections these Senators and Congressmen and women get cold feet.....

Whoa! and here I thought I was the oldest one on this forum! I'm not alone after all. I had ONE interview in September 2008 but they told me they 'hired from within the company', yeah sure.

I would have thought that with the Nov. elections, it would have meant our Senators and Congressmen/women would want to help us! I guess I'm naive!
Hoppy
Hoppy

Back to top Go down

Post  grandmom49 Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:48 am

I guess at 60 yrs old I am the not the oldest but probably the most naive. I honestly thought our legislators were looking out for us. I took the wording of the bill to mean that AWI make lump sum payments for up to 8 weeks of unused EB retroactively to anyone they had taken money back from when their computer system was not set up in time to start Tier 3 payments in November.

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 13 Empty HR 4213 and HR 2847

Post  daytonaman Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:26 am

The Senate recently passed HR 4213, (extended eligibility through 12/31/10) now that bill is back to the House for final consideration and Amendments, has anyone heard if any amendments have been made regarding additional tiers or added weeks to tier IV?

Also, HR 2847 will be back on the senate floor Starting Monday 3/15 at 2:00pm, On the top of the bill text Unemployment insurance & Cobra is mentioned, what does this bill do for those of us whom have exhausted all benefits?

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:H.R.2847:
daytonaman
daytonaman

Back to top Go down

Post  connorsgp Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:41 pm

I've got a great idea..seems to me that the folks here are more aware of,and qualified for, legislative aide positions in the congress...we seem to know more than a minor legislative assistant who probably make 100k..just a thought

connorsgp

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeff Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:11 pm

daytonaman wrote:The Senate recently passed HR 4213, (extended eligibility through 12/31/10) now that bill is back to the House for final consideration and Amendments, has anyone heard if any amendments have been made regarding additional tiers or added weeks to tier IV?

Also, HR 2847 will be back on the senate floor Starting Monday 3/15 at 2:00pm, On the top of the bill text Unemployment insurance & Cobra is mentioned, what does this bill do for those of us whom have exhausted all benefits?

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:H.R.2847:

Sources say:

3/10/10 UPDATE (12:15 p.m. CT): I've had some questions about the status of the House version of the bill, and whether it does indeed include "extra" weeks of unemployment coverage. I have a political science degree, but I'm not an expert on legislation. I've been told by two different Congressional offices that the House version includes extra weeks, and the wording of the legislation seems to imply that (I'm looking for a link to post now). But even if the House bill does include the weeks, that doesn't mean they will show up in the final Senate/House version of the bill.

UPDATE (12:40 p.m. CT): Several people have emailed me the news that they have called the offices of their local Senator, and have been assured that a separate bill addressing extra weeks of coverage will be brought up in the Senate as early as next week. I've heard that as well, but I'm hesitant to rely on that, since no one has any firm details. Also, the reason the additional weeks weren't included in this jobs bill is that adding more weeks is a tougher sell to Republicans and conservative Democrats. There is also an Easter break coming up soon. So even if a new bill is proposed next week, getting it passed and signed by the President before April is going to be a tough battle.

http://www.allyourtv.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=990&catid=990

Jeff

Back to top Go down

New federal benefits legislation for 2010? --Please use this thread for all discussion - Page 13 Empty TIER V Petition

Post  SaraJ Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:33 pm

Hi Everyone, Here's a link to a tier 5 petition that's gaining in strength. Click the link to join in. It can only help our cause!

http://www.change.org/actions/view/the_99ers_need_a_tier_v_added_to_unemployment_benefits

Last edited by SaraJ on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

SaraJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppy Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:53 pm

[quote="SaraJ"]Hi Everyone, Here's a link to a tier 5 petition that's gaining in strength. Click the link to join in. It can only help our cause!

http://www.change.org/actions/view/the_99ers_need_a_tier_v_added_to_unemployment_benefits.[/quote]

When I clicked on this link I get a "server error". Then I searched the site for 'the_99ers_need_a_tier....' and get a "no results found" message.

I had to copy the entire link and paste it in the address field in my browser. Don't know why clicking on it didn't work. when I finally arrived on the right page, the link in the address field was exactly the same as the one SaraJ posted without the "period" after benefits!

http://www.change.org/actions/view/the_99ers_need_a_tier_v_added_to_unemployment_benefits

Last edited by Hoppy on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hoppy
Hoppy

Back to top Go down

Post  SaraJ Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:59 pm

[quote="Hoppy"]
SaraJ wrote:Hi Everyone, Here's a link to a tier 5 petition that's gaining in strength. Click the link to join in. It can only help our cause!

http://www.change.org/actions/view/the_99ers_need_a_tier_v_added_to_unemployment_benefits.[/quote]

Hey SaraJ, when I click this link I get a "server error". Then I searched the site for 'the_99ers_need_a_tier....' and get a "no results found" message. How did you get there???

Thanks.

Try it now

SaraJ

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoppy Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:02 pm

Thanks, SaraJ, got it! Now, let's all sign it!!!!
Hoppy
Hoppy

Back to top Go down

Post  SaraJ Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:10 pm

Hoppy wrote:Thanks, SaraJ, got it! Now, let's all sign it!!!!

Copy & paste to everyone you know! We need tier V!!!!!!!!!!!

SaraJ

Back to top Go down

Post  GonzoFL Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:14 pm

Try going this route Hoppy. When you get to the site,click on the VIEW ALL ACTIONS button and scroll a bit. When you get to the new page,click on MOST RECENT. Its on the second page,second petition from the top.

http://www.change.org/

Ah...Never mind,Sara got it fixed. Petition signed!!

Last edited by GonzoFL on Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
GonzoFL
GonzoFL

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20 ... 27  Next