Unemployed Florida

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Unemployed Florida
Unemployed Florida
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Work Search Form Requirements

+46
looking for work 2009
seahorse
LindaLou
Sheila
John in Orlando
NELP
surfer
botanyandbodies
sa112263
maybee
grandmom49
JaxKnight
scrappy367
Me From Jax
john
garyb
mom4x
spirit
Unemployed Mamma
nachomama
DLS79
dplboc
mhigurl
pyrox
elissa
astettner
suicidal
riceckr
jim stratton
ArleneG
GonzoFL
help
Robyn
sherbetarchitect
hungry in orange city
Marc
Robbi314
JennyB
sc4ram
WMac
brb2007
daytonawanda
SaraJ
Maggi MIami
nancym
Unemployed In Orlando
50 posters

Page 14 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

Work Search Form Requirements - Page 14 Empty Re: Work Search Form Requirements

Post  nancym Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:42 pm

sa112263 wrote:Thanks nancym.......I am now more careful when I have applied for positions but the first week I didn't know that they all couldn't be done in one day and I never found anything to apply for after the first day (when I did 6 applications)......so I guess they will disqualify me for that week)..... Sad

I'm not sure from your later post whether this issue was also straightened out, but the new online forms specifically exempt the first two weeks of EB from the online reporting of work searches. So if it was in that first two-week period that you reported them all on one day, I would think it shouldn't matter.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:50 pm

sa112263 wrote:Just got off the phone with Melody (left msg @ 9:36 am today)......She was SO helpful and fixed the problem.....I should have my direct deposit on or before Friday! Thank you for this site! I don't know if the problem would have been resolved without a direct phone # and personal contact!

You are a Godsend! Thanks again!

AWESOME! I am glad she was able to get you straight! Melody rocks! cheers
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

https://unemployed-florida.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Work Search Form Requirements - Page 14 Empty AWI

Post  botanyandbodies Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:10 pm

I have to agree that Melody and Casandra are AWESOME !! After weeks of frustrated attempts to get my extended benefits expedited one phone call to casandra and a follow up call from melody and finally the situation is resolved or at least on its way!
Casandra was kind and so very helpful and Melody even gave me a follow up call,If all AWI employees did their jobs this well the agency would be much better off ! also Thank all of you so much! Your post's and this site have helped me through this difficult time , Bless all of you and Jim Stratton Thank you ! Lisa Davis

botanyandbodies

Back to top Go down

Work Search Form Requirements - Page 14 Empty thanks

Post  jim stratton Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:14 pm

I appreciate you guys reading and pointing out the issues you encounter.
js

jim stratton

Back to top Go down

Work Search Form Requirements - Page 14 Empty Work search & including freelance (1099)

Post  surfer Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:01 pm

Hi guys -- How much of your weekly EB amount do you lose if you state that you made money from temp/contract work? (Reported on 1099) Do you report all monies only if *over* $50/wk -- or any amount you make while on EB? I'm asking for someone who reported $100 each week & now has to prove that the contract work didn't interfere w/ job search while on EB. (Send an even more detailed work search record...??)

This info in general might help someone else. Thanks

surfer

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:01 pm

surfer wrote:Hi guys -- How much of your weekly EB amount do you lose if you state that you made money from temp/contract work? (Reported on 1099) Do you report all monies only if *over* $50/wk -- or any amount you make while on EB? I'm asking for someone who reported $100 each week & now has to prove that the contract work didn't interfere w/ job search while on EB. (Send an even more detailed work search record...??)

This info in general might help someone else. Thanks

That sounds a little outrageous, but I'm wondering if your friend simply fell into the "random sampling" they have to do to show that they are doing routine checks to verify that those getting funds are supposed to be getting them.

You don't actually lose any, it stays in your account balance and so weeks get tacked on at the end. But I assume you know that and are asking how they do the calculation. You actually are given a "grace" amount that is about $54 (seems to vary a little, by a few dollars at times, not sure why). So in other words, if I report that I earned $100, they subtract that from my $275, then add back the $54 or so. Then as long as the amount reported does not go over my max $275, I still get the $25 separate check (if over, that is lost). If I reported $300, for example, I'd receive nothing that week, and the $275 would stay in my account for an extra week at the end (assuming the program is still going).

It's an interesting question whether your friend was flagged randomly or was more at risk for an audit because of reporting contract work. If it were large amounts, I could see why, then they might consider it a full-time self-employed job, but for $100 a week?! Sheesh!
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  surfer Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:16 pm

Thanks Nancy. My friend has to prove she's not a "permanent independent contractor" receiving "permanent income," in the words of AWI, so this can't be a random audit. I don't know how one defines "permanent" these days, but her direct deposits stopped a few weeks ago. Sad that she was only being honest..
ETA: Maybe she initially was part of a random check, i don't know... my experience is, the less said the better.

surfer

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:44 pm

surfer wrote:Thanks Nancy. My friend has to prove she's not a "permanent independent contractor" receiving "permanent income," in the words of AWI, so this can't be a random audit. I don't know how one defines "permanent" these days, but her direct deposits stopped a few weeks ago. Sad that she was only being honest..
ETA: Maybe she initially was part of a random check, i don't know... my experience is, the less said the better.

Sad and also unfair and quite ironic, considering that it is technically illegal for the employer to have a "permanent independent contractor," i.e., unless she has her own sign outside an office or something, by definition that would be a part-time job, and therefore, as the laws still stand on the books even though they are never enforced anymore, that employer would have to withhold taxes and pay the other 7.5% of the SS taxes! But then this is an anti-labor state, so of course the employee would be blamed in most cases. My own bits of work are erratic, so I have some weeks with nothing to report; so maybe that makes a difference in what gets flagged in that way. (I'll have to knock on wood when I say that!)
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Work Search Form Requirements - Page 14 Empty work search and checks

Post  jim stratton Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:00 pm

jim stratton

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:43 pm

Thanks, Jim! As usual, it takes some digging to get at the truth, and it appears AWI has a bit of egg on its face.

I just love how bucks are passed for responsibility:

"In a message to the Governor's Office, agency Director Cynthia Lorenzo said her staff disregarded the advisory also to limit the chances of an audit and reduce the risk of overpaying clients."

But Ms. Lorenzo is the DIRECTOR of AWI--so her STAFF did this and she had nothing to do with it? Her staff did something without her complete approval?? Geez, what weird language.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  jim stratton Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:22 pm

Thanks. To be clear, nothing suggests she was attempting to pass the buck. She was explaining why the agency made its decision.

jim stratton

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:08 pm

jim stratton wrote:Thanks. To be clear, nothing suggests she was attempting to pass the buck. She was explaining why the agency made its decision.

Jim, to be clear, I wasn't implying that your language was "weird," though I may have read that part too quickly and assumed it was a direct quote from her. Guess I'm just gun-shy of the usual and persistent habit AWI has of coming out with statements that refer to all their decisions as if they are made "by the committee."

It's a kind of agency-speak that I admit to having a low tolerance for. Smile
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  jim stratton Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:58 pm

I understand. I think in the e-mail she said something like "the Agency" decided to stick to it's original plan.

jim stratton

Back to top Go down

Work Search Form Requirements - Page 14 Empty forum GDP

Post  nancym Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:23 pm

jim stratton wrote:I understand. I think in the e-mail she said something like "the Agency" decided to stick to it's original plan.

Jim, check out the number of registered users of this forum on the bottom of the main page. The number has tripled since your column came out with the link to here. And people keep coming every day it seems as their benefits become exhausted. Probably will keep expanding til Congress passes another extension, and then hopefully the whole computer mess with AWI doesn't start all over again!

Over on Open Congress we all listened in online as the Senate Finance Committee held a hearing about extending benefits, probably for another 13 weeks.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:45 pm

Those users are just the ones who have signed up for a username etc, this does not count the people who come here and view information as a guest, I figured if someone didnt want to join then I wouldnt require registration to view however you must register to post and access the other features. I did some digging in the admin stats section, I dont have a firm number but I am thinking about 2500-2800 individual users have visited this site including guests and registered users, this is just based on IP data.
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nancym Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:54 pm

Unemployed In Orlando wrote:... I dont have a firm number but I am thinking about 2500-2800 individual users have visited this site including guests and registered users, this is just based on IP data.

Wow, too bad we're not SELLING something here! lol!
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  Unemployed In Orlando Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:58 pm

nancym wrote:
Unemployed In Orlando wrote:... I dont have a firm number but I am thinking about 2500-2800 individual users have visited this site including guests and registered users, this is just based on IP data.

Wow, too bad we're not SELLING something here! lol!

Yeah no doubt Exclamation Exclamation lol
Unemployed In Orlando
Unemployed In Orlando
Admin

Back to top Go down

Work Search Form Requirements - Page 14 Empty NELP Releases New Action Alert Calling on Congress to Act Now!

Post  NELP Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:05 am

Dear Friends,
Last week, Congress took some very important steps towards moving the extension of jobless benefits sooner than later. So, now is a critical time, as Congress engages in this issue in a big way, to once more let your voices be heard again and bring about urgently needed extra support for families like yours.

The House of Representatives will vote as early as Tuesday on a bill that will help clear the way for immediate action on the extension. Please take a minute to email your member of Congress, urging them to support a strong extension of jobless benefits. Visit http://www.nelp.org/page/speakout/ExtBenefitsNow to take action!!

NELP

Back to top Go down

Work Search Form Requirements - Page 14 Empty re:NELP post

Post  nancym Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:22 pm

NELP wrote:Dear Friends,
,,, Please take a minute to email your member of Congress, urging them to support a strong extension of jobless benefits. Visit http://www.nelp.org/page/speakout/ExtBenefitsNow to take action!!

Thank you NELP! Welcome to our Florida forum, I see you found us. Smile

Everyone check out this link PLEASE! NELP (National Employment Law Project) has been our MAIN ALLY in Congress and around the states in getting legislation to help the unemployed.

[Technically this post and the one before it should be in our "legislative" section here, for future reference:

https://unemployed-florida.forumotion.com/senate-bills-state-policies-federal-initiatives-f6/

I guess we can leave this post here, since UIO already posted the NELP link over in that section, but anyone with questions or discussion about the new bill, please post in the threads in that section, since this thread is for questions about work search requirements.
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  John in Orlando Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:21 pm

Ok I have read through all 14 pages of this thread but I'm still confused about the work search requirements as there is allot of conflicting info...

Is AWI accepting only internet job searches as criteria to receiving benefits or do you have to 'switch up' your job search attempts?

Also I've read that you need 2 separate job searches on 2 different days,is this a total of 4 job searches in a week or just 2 on 2 separate days?javascript:emoticonp('Question')

John in Orlando

Back to top Go down

Post  GonzoFL Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:49 pm

John in Orlando wrote:Ok I have read through all 14 pages of this thread but I'm still confused about the work search requirements as there is allot of conflicting info...

Is AWI accepting only internet job searches as criteria to receiving benefits or do you have to 'switch up' your job search attempts?

Also I've read that you need 2 separate job searches on 2 different days,is this a total of 4 job searches in a week or just 2 on 2 separate days?javascript:emoticonp('Question')

John in Orlando,

Here's the scoop: 2 searches per week...must be on DIFFERENT days of said week. Total of 4 for the 2 week period....The different day thing IS important.....so pay attention to your dates or AWI will beat you like a rented mule.

You may conduct your search in most any manner,internet,e-mail,in person,phone,U.S.(yawn) Mail,fax,semaphore(might be a bit dicey)....and so on. The suggestion is that you don't limit yourself to only one type of search...but they won't whack ya for it.
GonzoFL
GonzoFL

Back to top Go down

Post  John in Orlando Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:45 pm

Thank you Gonzo that cleared it up for me.I will only submit 2 internet searches as I do AT LEAST 2 of those a week not to mention when I hit the pavement as I'm getting pretty desperate like everyone else.I just don't want to confuse them by sending in two formats and risk my DD being held.

John in Orlando

Back to top Go down

Post  Sheila Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:48 am

nancym wrote:Did anyone else here get their first work search forms? I just got one in the mail. It is combined with the usual claim form. All to be either mailed OR filled out online.

Fields:

--Employer name, address, city, state, zip OR website name and url
--Contact name or online job number/reference number
--Type of work sought
--Method of contact/Action Taken
--Contact Date
--Results
plus four available spaces for each week for the info (min 2 searches on two different days per week required)

For those back on schedule, this is not news, but thought I'd post this here for anyone not updated in their application yet, or those who might be wondering what kind of records they need to keep for EB.

This first form was sent to me for claiming online next week; FYI I was never asked to document prior weeks, just those that start with the new non-retroactive weeks (next Tuesday claim date for me).

Thank you for that. I just got my EB and it said when I applied for my first week that the first 2 weeks are exempt from the search. Thanks for posting the form, I was wondering what that was like.

Sheila

Back to top Go down

Work Search Form Requirements - Page 14 Empty Fraudulent Employment Offers

Post  grandmom49 Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:38 pm

I registered and posted my resume with CareerBuilders.com and been received a few very sophisticated but identifiable scam offers. They result in definite offers of employment in various titles; Assistant Manager, Financial Assistant, Financial Manager e-mail Processor. They include links to company websites, partnership endorsements, etc. The position requires you to give your banking information with the routing information for acceptance of money transfers and a copy of documentation of proof of identity (copy of driver's license) I responded to the first two offers thinking they were legitimate since they claimed they found my resume on CareerBuilders.com and did not ask for personal information until they sent the solid offer and a "contract" to be signed. I did not list them on my job search report but am wondering if I can fear any repercussions since I certify that I have not refused any offer of work every time I claim? Any help would be appreciated.

grandmom49

Back to top Go down

Work Search Form Requirements - Page 14 Empty not to worry

Post  nancym Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:39 am

grandmom49--

Don't even think about worrying about this. They did not offer you a legitimate job, but only a chance to take part in a crime, or more properly be a victim of a crime.

I've received numerous emails like that, and they are getting more sophistocated in their pitches, and even, as you mention, have started making legitimate-looking websites with "endorsements" to convince their victims that they are a going business.

You probably figured out as soon as they sent you contracts that they would be ripping you off. I've had one "company" send me a bunch of contracts and applications without me even having responded to their first email! I responded to them "Gee, you Nigerians must be getting desperate!"

This has nothing to do with your work search requirements.

I should add that one partial protection against this kind of spam job offer is to adjust your online resumes to NOT display your actual email to anyone but those employers to whom you make an actual application for employment. Many of the online sites like Monster.com, etc., give you the option to mark your email "private" so that potential employers can email you only through their site, and not know your actual email address.

The second part of this plan is that you create a separate email address just for job apps, and don't use it for anything else. That way, if you get one of these on your job-only address, you'll know it is more likely to be real. If you then get an employment pitch on your old regular email address that claims they saw your resume on Careerbuilders or wherever, you know right away that it's BS.

[10/7/09 - topic moved to this thread --nancym]

Last edited by nancym on Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:38 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : added info about private emails)
nancym
nancym

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15  Next